SVS Hookup to Old Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I just got in on a good deal for an SVS 20-39CS but wanted to use an old stereo receiver to power it. I'm just curious to know if the connection I will be trying is correct. I have a connection like this to my current sub and was wondering if the same chord will work to plug into my Kenwood "sub out" option to the old stereo "tape in" option. Then I will obviously run the speaker wire to the sub from the old receiver.
    This is the chord I currently have (but longer). It's at the very bottom of page for $1.99. The RCA Y-Adaptor RCA AH201.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...nd+Connections
    I'm trying this with an old Onkyo reciver from long ago but Tom V. though it would work so I just want to verify the connection will be correct!
    Thanks

2. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

The link did not work but from your description everything sounds good. The old receiver will do a very good job. Calibrate it and try some demo material, I had mine at reference levels of base(I do have dual subs) and only the heaviest material(Fight Club, TPM) gave me some problems. The sound for the cost in using a old receiver is unreal, I mean someone who really wants SVS could bye a used 20-39cs for $350 and a 80 KLH receiver and have the best bass they ever heard of for $430.

3. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I really hope it does do well. The receiver is really old (late 1970's Onkyo Tx-4500) and rated at 55 w/c. I know that's a little low but I'm thinking that since it is a top of the line Onkyo from the old days it should do very well. I'm just a bit worried about the 4 ohms with it. (I dont still have the user manual so I'm not 100% sure of the ratings on this and it can't be found online). I'll just have to wait and see though!

I actually bought the 20-39CS for only $322 shipped. It was only used for 3 months! I got in on a great deal and can't wait to hear what I've been missing without an SVS.

I fixed the link now so it should work.

Thanks

Brent