What's new

SVS help (1 Viewer)

bgilly

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
Ok 12x16x8 living room = 1536 Cubic Feet

There is also an opening into a 12x12x8 dinning room ....

To me....I really want to FEEL that low end response in movies and music....

Looking at the PB-10NSD it drops off quickly at the 20HZ mark which makes me feel like it might not be enough sub for me personally (But I've never heard it and I could be TOTALLY underestimating what this sub can do)....but for 429...I really have to look hard at this one because its really the only one i can afford!!!!!!!

PLUS after reading this http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html
It sounds like this sub may be all I need and then some.......very impressive review....

The PB-12NSD seems to be the way to go if I can get the cash.......but then I looked at the 20-39PCI (which seems to be very close to the PB-12NSD in every aspect) PLUS the 20-39 would be SOOOO much easier for me to pick up and save the $60 shipping!

I have the room for the pb-10 and PB-12 no problem.....so room is not the issue here.

Which one do I go with...I'm spending MORE than I really should.......but I'm justifiying it as this will be the LAST subwoofer purchase for a VERY VERY long time...So I might as well get exactly what I want right now......

I want to make this purchase SOON....and I plan on picking it up directly since I live very close to where they ship from.....

yobamam

Grip
Real Name
Don
I am pretty new to svs subwoofers. I got a cs ultra and recently a pb10-isd (thanks to a forum member). I don't think it's so much the volume you're paying for; I think it's the quality. My ultra isn't any louder and actually seems quieter to me. My cs-ultra is also tuned to 20hz, and you can still "feel" the bass. Tuning below 20hz would lower the overall volume and the impact may actually be less. The pb10 is still an amazing product next to the ultra I have; definitely a law of diminishing gains as is with all audio products. Emailing SVS should help you a lot, as they seem very honest about their products. Also, I wouldnt recommend the pb-12 bstock since the newer redesigned models are supposedly large improvements (the older pb10-isd and the newer pb10-nsd are supposed to be pretty identical in overall performance so a b-stock pb10-isd could also be in ur option). I think you'd be best purchasing the best subwoofer you can afford and then spend some money on some shakers (aura pros are only 29 bucks at parts express, use about 1 per seat). Shakers + subwoofer = magnitude improvement versus either one alone from my experience. The subwoofer can shake the house, but it can't compete with something directly shaking the couch. At the same time, couch shaking alone just seems weird without the bass impact. But both together is something that movie theaters cant even compete with. I'd go with the pb10 and shakers over just my ultra alone any day. Honestly, I don't know why shakers aren't as popular as they are. They truly add impact on a budget, and might be exactly what you're looking for.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I don't think there is much of a performance difference between the two. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the 20-39PCi. Personally I have a PB-12NSD/v, mainly because my wife would not go for the PCi. You can't go wrong either way.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Actually the PB12 b-stock are the newer drivers depending on which ones your looking at.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There isn't a big difference between the 10 and the 12 up top, but at the very bottom, the PB-12 does seem to have a bit more rumble to it due to more air movement.

In a room like that, I would say you'll want something larger than the PB-10. I had my PB-10 in a room a bit larger than that and while it did do very well, it wasn't quite enough to excite the volume of air.

bgilly

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
Well I just Ordered the PB-10NSD. My thought process is to give this lower cost one a try.......see how it sounds (they give me 45 days). If I feel like it isn't enough, I can return it for free and just pay the difference and upgrade to the 12NSD.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It really depends on what you are looking for. The PB-10 is probably fine for most people, and most who heard my system couldn't believe it was a 10" sub. Those who had experience with more substantial subs or who were simply bass heads weren't so surprised. It held its own well, not really dropping off until 16Hz in my room, and never sounding like it was being overworked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks