SVS Help...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TravisEtherton, May 16, 2004.

1. TravisEtherton

TravisEtherton Stunt Coordinator

I have an SVS 22/31 PCi. I have ordered Video Essentials and it should be here in a week or so. Until then how should I be running my SVS. What settings should it be set to. Would like to get the most out of it I can.

Thanks Travis

2. Stephen_Ponte

The User's Manual that came with your SVS has a great tutorial on how to properly set up, and dial in your sub.

Pick up a $28 Radio Shack SPL meter, read the manual, and you're in business.

-SDP

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Yup, a SPL meter is an absolute necessity for properly setting up a HT. Very few people in this world can do it properly "by ear."

4. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

Er, a note about Video Essentials. I wouldn't use that disc to calibrate your SVS. I have it, and have since learned from others on this forum that the subwoofer tuning signal on it is messed up, by a good many decibels. Try Avia or your receiver's signal.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yup, Pink noise and an SPL meter can go a long ways in assisting with the setup process.

Plus, you might be able to find the Avia-based home theater setup DVD from Sound and Vision at most Best Buy stores for approx. $18.00. The discs are usually in the "other" or "misc" section of DVDs at Best Buy - right next to the Girls Gone Wild discs. [​IMG]

6. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I use my processor's pink noise and RS meter to achiever the setting for the sub's volume control.

I use Rives Audio's Test CD2 and the RS meter to adjust x-over and phase. The Rives CD is the only disc I know of that has 1/3 octave warble tones that factor in corrections for the errors of the Radio Shack sound level meter.

Bill