SVS Grill Removal

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricSm, Aug 22, 2003.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

A strange question, I'll admit, but for the life of me I can't get the top off my svs subwoofer so that I can try using the port blockers. I did what the tuning sheet recommended but the thing won't budge. Any tips?

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Carefully use a flathead screwdriver to remove it (those things are on there so tight you'd swear you're going to do damage).

3. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Robb's right. Once you get it started, it will lift right off. Good snug friction-fit. Had to do this to build my Stacked Ultras.

Gordon

4. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

Odd, I was able to lift mine off fairly easy. Snug, but didnt require tools.

5. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I finally gave up. Felt like something was going to break and I decided it just wasn't worth it... even though the guys at SVS offered to send me a new cover should I ruin this one.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

This is never really that well explained, but the grille AND the surrounding metal ring come off as one unit, even though it might not appear that way.

I learned this the hard way when I owned a PC+ as I tried to remove just the grille itself (sans ring) with the hooked end of a coat hanger and I creased the expanded metal and flaked some of the paint off. It was very minor and a black Sharpies marker fixed it, but I was sick over it nonetheless.

Take a flat blade screw driver and insert it under the metal ring at the cylinder tubing interface. Turn the blade slowly and pry up the metal ring. Repeat in a few more spots and it will lift right off.

Don't despair! Tune experimentation is fun and educational.

Regards,

Ed

7. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Oh! I can see the problem if you're trying to seperate the top perfed grill from the metal ring! They are tack-welded. Like Edward said, just use a flat edge screwdriver or putty knife under the ring to start it and the whole thing lifts off easily. Of the 3 different Ultra's that I've had, two needed a start like this and one I was able to lift with fingers alone.

Good luck!!
    Gordon

8. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Dumb question forthcoming:

Where's this ring?

We have the grill.. the literal grill and then the surrounding plastic enclosure.. is this what is meant by the ring?

That's what I've been trying to get off, but is just isn't going well no matter how you slice it.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Take a screwdriver or a silverware knife and insert it along next to the sock and pry up just a tad. After you get it started you can pull it off using just your hands. It's a little like opening a can of paint but you will need to pry a inch down from the top of the grill next to where it touches/seats into the covering/sock.

10. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

11. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

12. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I have the same problem and finally gave up. I tried the screwdriver trick, but saw the ring start to bend and got too paranoid about bending the ring all out of shape. The grill/ring is on there tighter than anything I have ever seen before. And there seems to be no way to remove it without either bending the ring out of shape. This is the one flaw I can find with the cylinder subs: the grills are on too tight and SVS's instructions for removing them don't seem to work.

13. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

It's a dark corner so the photo came out a bit fuzzy, but does this help?

[​IMG]

Just go around the edge doing this one small piece at a time and it will come off (frankly, it scared me a bit the first time I took the grill off, but better tight than rattling).

-Robb