SVS Full-range speakers!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mitch Stevens, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ok,

I just got done watching that interview with Ron from SVS.

He says in the interview that they hope to "branch out" and do some "full-range speakers."

How kick-ass would that be? DAMN! I'd buy Full-Range speakers from SVS in a heart-beat! You can bet that they would make them perfect, and they would have a flat frequency response all the way down to 20hz (maybe lower). We know that most of those huge tower speakers even though they have huge woofers on them, can not achive a flat frequency response, especially down to 20hz. SVS has been known to have flat frequency responses with their amazing subs, so you could just imagine just how wonderful their speakers would sound, if they ever decided to make any!

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I strongly consider speakers from SVS, if they were efficient and didn't require 400watt amps to push them.

3. terence

terence Supporting Actor

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mitch, Terence,

I'll try to be a little more coherent next time someone says "Hey, how about a no-prep, spontaneous interview after you have gotten about 4 hours sleep in the last two days". About 30 seconds after walking into our first visit to the largest trade show on earth no less.

(It's a minor footnote that I'm now in my last days of a 20 year Army stint and literally had to leave a meeting on base early to make my plane for CES... showed up in Vegas in battle fatigues as a matter of fact... though I did change before hitting the show. I won't have that problem this year, back to one job finally after 4 years ...the last founding member of SVS to do so).

ANYWAY, suffice it to say that full range speakers have always been one of the long range expansion areas we've toyed with. We've been so busy with the feverish pace of subwoofer sales and new model development that clearly it's not happened, yet.

As we've said before, when the time is right you might just find out that SVS stands for SV Speakers, not just subwoofers. Or maybe not. We're not quite done fleshing out our subwoofer lines I don't think.

Ron

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Actually one would not need a super amp as I'd bet if SVS built a full range speaker they'd take advantage of their supplier at bash to handle the lower end (think on the lines of Deftech power tower concepts).

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Robert,

Why do that, when their subwoofers are designed to handle the low end?

Solid performance down to the 60Hz range is easily achievable without resorting to powered woofs. IMO, if SV were ever to undertake regular loudspeakers this would be the design goal.

Regards,

7. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    [​IMG]

Rock on, Ron! I watched the interview...and showed it to someone that knows you. [​IMG] He got a kick out of it!

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with! [​IMG]

Best of luck in that endeavor. [​IMG]

8. Mitch Stevens

9. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

John Kotches:

10. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    John Kotches:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why do that, when their subwoofers are designed to handle the low end?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because there is a market for high quality full range speakers.

Absolutely. That and very, very few "full range" speakers really do sub bass w/any authority that WE would consider "great" or even "sufficient."

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd be happy with a -3 dB point of 30 Hz. That's "full range" enough for me, and not that difficult to do at a price point of somewhere in between $1000 - $2000 a pair. [​IMG]

12. Robert_Gaither

John, like what others stated that there are those in the market for full range towers and there are some who wouldn't even want the extra space that a sub would take in their rooms (esthetics vs correct bass placement have always bugged me also). I agree with your assessment though that I would rather have a great set of speakers that gets down to 60 hz flat, that market is quite flooded currently and thus would be more on the lines of another "flavor" vs being groundbreaking (cheap, excellent, and full-range towers that are affordable). I think this would also allow SVS to tap into a market that simply states no to stand alone subs.

13. Mitch Stevens

Many films, especially war films (ie Saving Private Ryan & U-571) and other titles send out frequencies down to the 20hz range on each and every speaker. It is absolutely necessary to have full-range speakers in order to produce what the sound engineers intended you to hear. 7 Full-range speakers and a B4+ would be a dream come true to have! Of course, then we could all, finally set our receivers to "Large" for each speaker and have the sub play ONLY the .1 LFE channel like it's supposed too.

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Unless SVS plans to make powered speakers, you guys are barking up the wrong tree looking for true (low THD/loud) 20 Hz extension from all seven surround channels. I'm with Kotches on this one.

The amount of power required to drive seven full range speakers would be astronomical. Consider the amp in the PC-Plus line is 525 watts continuous, and that is for a single dB-12 driver. One would assume a single 12" driver to be the minimum SVS would select for true full range duty.

99% of the conventional AVR's on the market would choke and go into protect mode trying to drive seven true full range speaker to high levels with source material containing loads of deep bass. The power and current requirements are simply way, WAY beyond the capabilities of all but the most robust, large, heavy, and EXPENSIVE amps on the market. Could you really afford a 120 pound 300 x 7 Adcom amp on top of the cost of seven full range speakers?

Also consider the acoustics issues dealing with eight sources of deep bass in one room. Things could get hairy there.

SVS has always been about high performance within the budget reach of the average enthusiast. If they ever come out with a line of speakers, I predict they will focus on sound quality in the >50-60 Hz region, and let their subs handle the low end like they always have.

15. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Edward, it can be done with powered towers. I think Def Tech even has side and rear wall mountable bipole models with built in powered subs.
    I've got a system with Infinity IL60 mains, IL50 side AND rear surrounds, PLUS 2 IL120s subs. That's a total of 8 subs, 4 12" 500 watt and 4 10" 250 watt. They are all set up on Infinity's ingenious RABOS system.
    You should hear Das Boot or U571 on this system.

16. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

Congratulations on your pending retirement, Ron. Thank you. I did four years as an 11C myself. "Keep up the fire!"

17. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm with John and Edward on this one. Even if they could make a full range design that was powerful down low, economical, and didn't require gobs of wattage (via some new power source design, I suppose [​IMG] ), Ron, Tom, and company know the difficulties inherent in placement, even for one speaker, let alone 2 or more. What are the chances that the mains can be positioned optimally for the entire frequency spectrum? Of course, there's also the multi-speaker interactions down low that were mentioned before.

OTOH, they could end up bowing to the masses, but if they did, something(s) would need to be compromised.

Now for the 2 year wait, given that it may be nothing more than a faint glimmer in Ron's eye.

Doug

18. Robert_Gaither

19. Lito

Lito Agent

i want my sonotube full range speakers !!

(just kidding!! my maggies are doing a fine job now where the 1646pc+
    leaves off)

20. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If SVS does end up making speakers of any kind, I would hope that they do something very different from everyone else. In fact, that's what I'm expecting. Maybe a line of fully active speakers?? Like the working man's M&K Pro? That would be awesome.