SVS for music???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

What does everyone think of there SVS subs for music? I will be using my home theater for both music and DVD's so I was wondering if it sounds good with music too, I already know that it will rule for home theater thanks to all of your reviews.

Thanks.

Svence

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

They soumd great for music. Do a search and youll find enough responses to keep you busy for a month.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I second Rob's comments. The SVS's may look big and clumsy, but they handle music wonderfully. I don't think you will be disappointed.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

"Big and clumsy?"
    Oh that hurts Jeff. ;^) How about "gentle giants"??
    Sort of like Buzz Lightyear "falling with style"?
    Fact is, many if not most of the reviews on our site (out of thousands on the web) mention that SVS's work as well on music as they do on movies. I hope this isn't surprising to anyone any more. If it's highly capable, a subwoofer can excel at both. It's not an "either, or" proposition, HT and music performance.
    Look at SVS Reviews for more.
    How big is a bass drum in a band kit? How about a tuba? Big can be (and in the case of SVS IS) beautiful baby.
    Ron

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Or pipe organs? BIG = Better Bass. Music or otherwise.

6. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Here's a review I wrote on the SVSs from a musical standpoint: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=56356
    I listen to music more than movies (~60/40%) so I needed a very "musical" sub. I bought them based on the many glowing reviews out there. I definitely have no regrets - am more impressed with them every day.

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Too bad you can't try them with our new drivers ;^)

Personal taste is clearly important in all this but I'd be shocked if any of the budget priced PCi's gave a thing to the Vandy in objective or subjective performance.

Ron

8. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I listen to a lot of music (rock, jazz, classical quartets and quintets), and I love my SVS. There may be a better musical subs out there, but at the bargain basement price the guys at SVS are selling their babies for you won't find any! Take a complete dual sub SVS system (including amps), double or triple the price, and you might be able to find a better musical sub, but it would take a lot of searching!

9. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Well I can't speek for the Vandersteen ofr music as I have not heard that sub, but of the more popular models I think my dual SVS 20-39CS "ISD" kicks the crap out of the P-2200, Deftec 15+, Sunfire Jr in the music catagory, which range from $800 to $1200 in price. How much is the Vandersteen? I like comparing apples with apples. Do you still have your SVS for HT or do you lose a little with DVD's.

10. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

A Vandy 2W sub is $1295. That's MSRP, but the only vendor I found in a quick online search ( www.soundscapeav.com ) was not discounting them.
    So basically, if you want a more musical sub than, say, a 25-31PCi you'll likely have to pay twice as much and settle for less overall headroom.
    Then again, the Adire Rava might be something to look at. With a very nice driver and the low group delay of a sealed enclosure it might best the SVS in musical performance ... so long as the music doesn't stretch down to the deepest octave.

11. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

In order to make that comparison (between SVS and Vandersteen) you would need the Dual Ultra's package with equalazation at $2500. It would be making similar comparisons. Then you would have to ask is the music sound $1300, maybe, maybe not, it would be a good test though.

12. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I think what Anthony is trying to say is that people owe it to themselves to hear a near full range loudspeaker such as the VMPS RM2 if they will be using a setup for music. Even for HT, I would imagine that those speakers would be awesome. I think Anthony would agree with me that the heart of a loudspeaker system, particularly for a music setup, are the main channel loudspeakers.

13. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I see, but I would say after auditioning the Paradigm Reference 100's last weekend even for music on the deep end part of the track it needed a better subwoofer. Now for anything over about 35hz or so it did pretty good, it rocked in the midranges. I would hope that a full range speaker that costs that musch would be able to produce good clean bass in the full spectrum on music.

Bob,

I am looking at upgrading my mains and I know you know alot about the DefTecs. I am looking at a budget of around 2k or less, I have a Yamaha v-1000 receiver and have dual svs 20-39 subs. I tried Paradigm last week, pretty nice, they were $1900 for the pair. What would you reccomend on the Def Tec.

14. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Greg, how much space can you give the speakers to the rear and to the sides? Let me know, and I'll give you some specific recommendations. Thanks.

15. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Rear not alot, as much as I need to the sides.

16. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

If you can give the speakers about 2 feet of space to the rear, than you will be able to use their bipolar speakers. Ideally you would want a bp2000TL, but this would probably stretch your budget a few hundred dollars. For 2k/pair, you could get the bp2002TL. This should be mated with clr2002 or clr2500. With a Yamaha, that should be a killer setup. They take a little while to set up properly, but it is worth it. If you don't have enough space to the rear, you should go with their PowerMonitor speakers. Probably the PM900, which should be mated with the clr2000 or clr3000. Good luck!

17. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

What benifets are there two using bi-polar speakers? I figure the speakers are about 18" deep and two more feet would be 3.5' away from the wall, that may be tough, but realisticaly I can do whatever I want.

18. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Added power handling, added spaciousness in sound, possibly even added depth to sound. Try it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

19. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Anthony, I've spent time with the pre-Neo RMII's and they are indeed profound in the bass dept with enough slam to kill a guy, but I don't think my two SVS's give anything up to them. No two people seem to hear things exactly the same way, but I wonder if maybe it's a case of your SVS's not being crossed over to a speaker with enough woofage above the x-over point to get your sternum rattling. Or different placements? I dunno.

Congrats on your new speakers, you made a great choice.

20. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Walt, did you try the VMPS speakers at home? Certainly they will probably need some space to breathe. I think Anthony was mainly talking about tightness, tunefullness, and "realistic" quality of the bass, not simply sheer output. What I especially like about near full range main speakers is that the entire blending process is controlled by the manufacturer. Some people have claimed to get a more coherent soundstage when using such speakers. Very nice in my experience. IMHO, particularly for a music setup, near full range main speakers should be considered to be desireable (provided that the speakers can be given some room to breathe).