What's new

SVS for live performances (1 Viewer)

Pete Austin

Agent
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased my 20-39 PC Plus three weeks ago on the advice of this and other forums, and I owe all of you a huge "thank you". My home theater has never sounded better and my walls have never shaken so hard. I love everything about my SVS and even my wife loves it. Having this new beast of bass has got me thinking though about other applications. A friend of mine DJ's on the side with a modest sound set-up that noticably lacks of bass and it got me thinking if any other forum members have used their SVS's for applications outside their home such as DJing or live sets. If there are any stories, lets hear them. If others have had success in this area perhaps I could suggest it to my friend. I realize that SVS does not design their subs with commmercial applictions in mind but perhaps someone has been so bold as to try it. Thanks again to everyone for the help on finding my perfect subwoofer.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
This is a typical live "DJ" type sub:
http://www.mackie.com/sr/fussion1800/index.html
Made to get really loud but not really low. 35Hz or so for extension. I don't think an SVS would do so well in a live situation unless it's a pretty small club and it's mild volumes.
Better stick w/ purpose built for live situations, IMO.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
For Live reproductions I'd look for high sensitivity speakers with ample power handling. It's just a guess but I think SVS subs likely have a sensitivity of 90db or less. I also don't know if their amps could handle the abuse.

For Live I'd look more at output capabilities at 40hz and not care so much for how deep it can go. Though, I couldn't imagine what the music would sound like at clubs with systems linear down to 20hz at the SPLs that they play.

I also found it very suprising how loud a single 15" pro driver can get given only a 50 watt tube amp.

Pete Austin

Agent
Thanks for the input. I didn't really think about the low vs. loud angle but that makes sense. Most music does not have much content at or below the 30 Hz range anyways. Perhaps a dual Ultra setup would push out enough output to work? As for their amps not being able to handle the load, I didn't clarify in my initial post but I was thinking specifically about their Ultra line with external amps. I imagine that the Samson amps SVS uses (and certainly the Crown) could handle commercial audio. On an interesting side note I just read a post by Tom over on http://www.avsforum.com/ that goes:
"More than a few years ago I had trouble finding a subwoofer I could afford that would keep up dynamically with my all Klispch system. I ended up upgrading my subwoofer(s) four times over the course of a year...and I still wasn't satisifed. So on the advice of a fellow audio enthusiast (Stan the man) I built a DIY subwoofer. I finally had a subwoofer that extended deep(down to the 12-15hz range in my room and could keep up with the Klipsch speakers without breaking a sweat. Thus began my passion for deep,clean,loud,dynamically flat bass."
Is it just coincidence that SV subs were initially built to match the same type of speaker used in live performances? Interesting huh? Still looking to hear the first story about someone trying this.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Pete,

The SVS will do fine and is much more dynamic than most other home subwoofers, but for live performances a different realm of output is usually desired. For this, most good pro audio subs use multiple 18" drivers or are horn loaded. Few extend below 30Hz. The SVS, along with most other home subs, makes the fundamental (and worthwhile in a home application) tradeoff of output for extension.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Doing some of that DJ stuff when younger, I belive your idea could work...BUT

Given the places you play and size and volume cubic ft of that room changes at each set up.
As the others have noted your money would be better spent on equipment (ie) SUBS designed for just such applications. Their built with this in mind, heavy abuse, and very effecient spl output with amplification..

Of course some brand name products are better than others as far as build, along with quailty of sound, spl per given watt, and finally the extension they produce.

Being the poor youngsters we where, we built copies of the 15" JBL folded horns, carpeted with stainless corner protectors and handels of course. They worked quite well and took the abuse of being constantly moved and terriably abused both by me along with the people that seem to think they were leaning post, temporary drink holders, etc.

As pointed out, most of the music played usualy stays with in the 30hz range for bass extension, there are exceptions, but rarly are you playing stuff dropping into the 20's and below. Protection filters/equipment can be added to protect them if you find yourself playing some of this stuff at big spl and have concerns of hurting them.

Much has changed in the industry from who is building what and the costs from 20+ years ago when I we were playing around with this to make some extra bucks on the weekends.
The majority of Bass cabinet designs in general, Im sure have changed little sence then though.

I would suggest, that as stated by others along with me, that your money would be better spent in products designed for this type of application.

Regards
Geoff

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Is it just coincidence that SV subs were initially built to match the same type of speaker used in live performances? Interesting huh? Still looking to hear the first story about someone trying this.
Ummm, Klipsch speakers are not used as live PA speakers. Live brands are like:

Mackie
JBL
EV
Meyer

EDIT:
Ooops, I stand corrected about that. I guess they're just not as popular for concerts, etc. I haven't seen any at the shows I've been to.

Ron_L

Second Unit
Yorkville out of Toronto makes AWESOME P.A. speakers. Tell your friend to look at the TX9S Subwoofer. I strongly recommend them. One note though is that be prepared to get new amps to drive them, in the neighbourhood of 1800-2400watts.
http://www.yorkville.com
Ron.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Klipsch does have a line of PA speakers- I've seen a couple small companies use them. I'm not sure if they make them anymore- but they're out there.

-V

Though I know you are looking for stories of people who have done this, and I haven't... I wanted to add that there is a new driver purpose made for PA bass, but it requires a specific horn built around it.

It has been receiving _rave_ reviews and when used in pairs or quads is reported to produce output that is beyond what most applications will require.

Eminence Lab-12. Plans for horn enclosure are readily available.

Loud vs. low and efficiency are the two most important things tokeep in mind when comparing home vs. pro bass systems.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
As Vince mentioned, Klipsch does have a PA line of speakers as well as speakers for fixed installations such as coliseums, arenas, etc. Not to mention speakers for cinema applications.

The sub that Charles mentioned (the LAB Bass horn) would be a great candidate too. And it doesn't cost too much in parts to build. Fred Seger recently built one...you can find the thread he started (along with a few others) in the DIY area.

Pete Austin

Agent
Hey everyone,

Thanks to all for the great input. This thread seems to veering off towards PA systems. My original intent was to start a sort of concept thread. To take a proven product in one arena (i.e. SVS at Home) and see if the potential existed for it to effectively cross over into another arena (i.e. live performances). However, it's pretty clear that the common consensus is to stick with P.A. bass systems designed for very high output and not necessarly frequency extension. All of the replies have been very helpful and while I'm sure that my freind will not go the DIY route (not that type of person) I can now make some recommendatiions to give him better bass output. And so that there is no confusion he is a very casual DJ who performs in modest venues. Nothing that would require a full professional performance setup. This is why I broached the subject in the first place.

As a side note, does anyone think (in their opinion) that SVS will evntually make the move into the commercial audio (specifically bass) market? Might that be the next evolution of their business. Could they offer anything new to the market like the way they have reset the standard for price/performance (IMHO) in the home market. Just a thought. Again thanks for the input.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
Pete,

the two worlds of commercial, or pro audio and consumer electronics are worlds apart....

the svs subs are great for home use ....think about it...even a large home theatre room is small compared to the typical venue for pro audio presentations....also the pro audio presentations..i.e. live music are much louder than any home theatre....

a top line jbl pro subwoofer will blow away a consumer svs sub....yes..it costs a great deal more....that's why svs is very popular....a great sub at a great price

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks