SVS For B&W??????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tony_Mas, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Tony_Mas

Tony_Mas Auditioning

OK, Here's the deal. My new setup is as follows:

B&W-
    DM603 S3 FRONTS
    LCR 600 S3 CENTER
    DM602 S3 REARS

ROTEL-
    RSX-1055 RECEIVER

I am now going to get a sub for this setup. Either an SVS PB2+
    or a B&W ASW 650. I'm not sure which one to go with though.
    I would greatly appreciate feeedback. You all really helped me make up my mind when it came to getting the B&W's and the Rotel. So please help me make as great a decision with this. Thanks!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Are you serious? Get the PB2+. Hell, a PCi smokes that B&W, let alone dual plus woofers.

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Have you considered the PC Ultra? Having had the PC+ and PB2+ the PCUltra with the TV12 is simply amazing. The paramteric equalizer on the PCUltra is a treat.

The db12 line is a great sub but having experienced the TV12 well its like going from the BMW 3 series tothe 7 series.JMO

Don't let the 1 driver of the PCUltra sway you for output. I can comfortably say that the output of the PB2+ is matched with the PCultra. Now if you are going to require 110db is a 8000cu room well I think the PB2+ will be in order. Give the PCultra a look I am very confident you will be VERY happy with it.
    Scott

4. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

2 things:
    1. I know a guy who has the same setup but with 604's for the front and a 1065. He has the PB2+ and LOVES it. Great combo.

2. If you don't mind my being rude, what did you pay for your 1055? I'm looking at the same amp to drive the 600's or the 700's.

Thanks!

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I've heard many B&W owners talk about how great their speakers are and then go on to say how poor their subs perform. B&W makes no sub comparable to an SVS.

6. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

All the statements are correct, my friend has the ASW600, I've heard the 650 and bought the 675. The PC+ 20-39 is in another league all on it's own.

The B&W subs are much more "boomy" and are heard a lot more than the SVS. The SVS blends seemlessly in with the setup, and sometimes you have a hard time telling if it's on...then if the LFE kicks in (or anything bass heavy) and pressurizes the room or sends vibrations through the floor, you know it's working. I love it because you DO NOT know it's there (well except for the size lol), and it doesn't stick out like a swore thumb.

In my opinion there is no contest between the PCi 20-39 and even the ASW675...SVS wins hands down. The only thing I could say is if you LIKE hearing the kind of bass you get from the subs that are put into cars, you might not be happy with the SVS, it's too flat of a response curve to give you that.

I agree that B&W's subs aren't worth the price you pay for them...you can get a lot better for a lot less.

My setup consists of:

DM604 S3 Mains, LCR600 S3 Center, DM602 S3 Surrounds, DM601 Back Surrounds, and SVS PC+ 20-39, all ran by the Yamaha RX-v1400. The Rotel will have no problem with the set up. Go with SVS and you won't ever look back. I'll guarantee you won't be stuck with the, "What if" questions, you'll just be amazed.

7. Tony_Mas

Tony_Mas Auditioning

Thanks to all of you who have responded. You pretty much
    summed up my suspicions. I was leaning very hard towards the SVS
    but I just wanted to get a few more opinions. And JOE, I paid $1150.00
    out the door for the Rotel. They're running out of them everywhere
    because the new ones are coming out soon so if you can find one get it.
    I got mine at GNP Audio in Pasadena, Ca.

8. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Subs just don't have to match w/ the rest of the other speakers. Simple as that. SVSs dont discriminate. [​IMG]