SVS Equivalent Box vs Cylinder

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EdNichols, Apr 9, 2004.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I know the following is subjective based on room size etc. But assuming all the factors considered equal, if I only had space for one sub in my room and I preferred the cylinder what would be the trade off as compared to a box sub? Is my reasoning below close?

PB1-ISD = PC 20-39
    PB1+ = PC 20-39+
    PB2-ISD = PC 20-39+ (+ 3db)
    PB2+ = PC Ultra (+3db)
    PB2 Ultra = PC Ultra (+6db)

What do you think?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I think Ron told me the PB1 is equal to the 25-31PCI tuned to 22.
    The rest Edward might have an answer to.

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I somewhat agree with the comparison but is it based soely on db?

It has been my experience that the + driver in any configuration, PC+ or PB2+, does not have the same exact sound as the Ultra.

Strictly db wise yes I agree, tuning well boxes are standard 25hz and the cylinders vary.

Interesting post

4. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I think your reasoning is close enough but realize the differences change depending on the tune and the frequencies the sub is playing.

With the possible exception of the PB1+ which I think may be tuned closer to 22 hz., the box subs have a native tune of 25 hz. When you tune these subs down to 20 hz you will give up some output between the native tune range and the and the new tune setting. The cylinders have a native 20 hz. tune.

For example, A PB2 Ultra tuned to 20 hz will have less output across the subs frequency range when compared to a pair of co-located PCUs left in their stock tune. I would guess that the 20hz tuned PB2-U would give up around 2 dbs to the pair of colocated PCUs.

However, if you left the PB2-U in it's stock 25 hz tune, the PB2-U probably now has a 2 db advantage over a pair of co-located PCU's from 25 hz and up. But it would have no real output below 21-22 hz.

Therefore, I don't think the PB2 Ultra would have a 6db advantage over the PC Ultra if the PB2 Ultra is tuned to 20 hz and you were testing max spl between 18 - 27 or so hz.

The difference would likely be an average of a +3 db advantage to the PB2-Ultra in the 18-27 hz range. Above 27hz the PB2-U still tuned to 20 hz probably would have the 6db advantage.

However, if the PB2 Ultra is left in it's stock tune then it would probably have a 7-8 db advantage over a single PCU from 25 hz and up. The trade-off here is that the PB2-Ultra will not have much output at all below 22 hz.

To convert the above examples to the PB2+ just subtract 1.5 dbs from the numbers I gave for the PB2-U.

5. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

dont let anyone stray you from a cylinder.

after having box subs I have never enjoyed looking at any subs I have like I do my cylinder SVS. everytime I see it I love it, its very appealing to the eye.

6. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

ScottCarr says:
    I don't recall SVS claiming a different sound for the ultra driver, just more maximum output, less compression when driven hard and, if memory serves me right, less thermal compression. What experience have you had?