What's new

SVS equals or rivals the Martin Login Decsent?!? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I was reading a review on the PB2+ the other day. The reviewer says this thing was better than the ML! Does anyone agree with this on any SVS sub? Because the martin logan is by far the best sub I have ever heard.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Jesse have you ever heard or felt an SVS sub? did you ever hook up with Ron for the Demo.

tweeter had a grotto in a room. It sounded pretty good and looked very nice and would fit into a decor relatively easy. It didn't seem to expell the energy or punch of Klipsch RSW12 had or the PC+2039.

In my opinion I think the PB1+ would surely win you over. The PB2+ would not only win you over but leave you in awe. Can't speak of the PBUltra, though it was on my list of things to get I opted for the PCUltras instead.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes that was the first SVS to make debut. It would be considered a antique by todays SVS standards (imo) as good as it was. The not so new ISD driver has replaced the original driver that was being used at the time when Tom N did his review/testing of the CS 20-39. As I'm sure you know> SVS has a whole lot more to offer now.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

Given the guidelines Nousaine uses, it translates into less distortion at lower levels.

Lower distortion is generally considered to be good ;)

Cheers,

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Noise is one thing and nice, clean, articulate, tonal bass is another. Although the chart cant show the quality of bass. The many users who have experienced SVS bass can and have been able to compare it to many other producers of bass. SVS subs are definitely not the only quality sub/s out there but this is no reason for one to feel defensive for running one or more. ;)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Along with Jesse's original post, how does the PB2+ compare to the ML Descent? The PB2+ is 1/2 the cost, but does it have equal to better perfomance?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I read a reveiw that the reveiwer said it was better than the ML.

"Pound for pound I found the PB-2+ to actually outperform the Descent, especially with movie soundtracks."

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Yes, I read the same review. Sounds very good. But, I was just curious if there are any other opinions out there. Not only do I feel I get a better picture, but it also provides some interesting discussion, IMO.
:)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
This was an in-room test.

The term "ground plane" wasn't entirely accurate when used in this context. Ground plane literally means outside, with no nearby reflective walls, and only the ground to provide some sound reinforcement.

Ground plane is the next best thing to true anechoic. But there are only a handful of truly anechoic subwoofer chambers in existence, AFAIK.

Also available are test gear and software that supposedly eliminates room effects in an attempt to approximate an anechoic chamber response.

A better term for Craig's test method would have been "near field". While the sub's were indeed pulled away from any walls, the room itself still provides significant boundary reinforcement, as compared to ground plane.

Regardless, the SVS PB2+ certainly lived up to its billing. In a 5700 ft3 room with a 5% THD limit @ 1 meter, the PB2+ ripped off these incredible numbers:

16 Hz 114 dB (one port plugged)
20 Hz 119 dB (one port plugged)
25 hz 123 dB (all ports open)
31 hz 123 dB
40 Hz 121 dB
50 Hz 119 dB
62 Hz 119 dB

Source: Craigsub - AVS thread.

Try to find any other OEM sub for $1,200 that can pull off that sort of performance. At more moderate HT volumes, the PB2+ is simply coasting along with extremely low THD.

I have also measured the THD of the PB2+ in my own smaller room - only I placed the mic at the listening position at head level (3 meters from the sub), since that's where IMO it really matters.

Instead of limiting THD and measuring SPL, I limited SPL and measured THD (all sorts of ways to skin this cat). My numbers were equally as impressive (in their own different way), reinforcing how clean, deep, and powerful this sub truly is.

Ed

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well it sounds very impressive. Im going to meet ron this weekend... friday. So I get to listen to a PB2+ and an SS.

Ron Sc

Agent

Just got my new 20-39pc+ last friday. I have never felt such clean bass befor. I bought it on a dare and must say it's the best.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thats great Ron. I guess we have another cult (cough) SVS believer.

I came home today and found out I had no bass. I figure what the heck! After investigating I find out our cat knocked a glass of water on to my QSC amp.:frowning: It's all good now after pulling the QSC apart and using the hair dryer on it.

Just got a call. My new Klipsch speakers are in. The 5 towers and the 7 center.:)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
IMO, the descent is one of the worse (considering its price range) subs ive heard. its very articulate and accurate for music, but for HT it falls very short. it doesnt have the umph and punch that others have. its even very light for certain types of music.

i myself would like to hear an SVS, but im not upgrading my sub until a year from now (hehe, gotta wait a year before i sell promotional stuff). but ill give it a shot!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

That is probably one of the biggest strengths of the SVS design. They exhibit a very high dynamic range and the bass feels effortless and uncompressed. They really make the stretch for that last bit of "oomph". In my admittedly moderate size HT room, the PB2+ has virtually unlimited headroom; I can't make it falter even at ridiculously high demo volumes.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Cool. Well I took home a $1500 sunfire true sub signature and I didnt like it. It was very boomy. But it didnt seem to get too loud either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks