What's new

SVS, Earthquake & Velodyne comparison (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
""and I could only stand the volume on the sub at 3, maybe 4 tops (out of 10)!!!""

I have a question: anyone ever seen a sub with the volume higher than say 4 or 5? What circumstances warrants such a high setting?

BTW, nice review of some gret woofs.

Philip____S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my little 200 watt sub set to 8. I like the rumble in my couch at this setting, which I don't get at lower levels.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Rob,

Great review!

In considering what you said about the Earthquake "dimming" the lights, you may have had it on a circuit that didn't have enough juice to allow the amp to power the sub to hit the LOW,LOWS.

This sub when properly place and powered can "slam" (or I guess SLAP might be more correct) 17 HZ, with pretty good authority.

Not that you need a special circuit, but I would certainly use a circuit with nothing else on it, including lights.

Just a thought.

And a friend of mine just picked up the 15" for $1489. plus shipping. (sweet deal)

And as an afterthought,

I have another friend in Texas who is going to have "DUAL M&K MX350s" in a short time. I bet he will have some tales to tell as he visits HZ Hades. He auditioned a "tripower" SVS system before his purchase and ended up going with M&K.

I'm looking forward to his review.

John Casler

Rob alva

Grip
Larry. It's funny you brought up the REL for music. The guy I bought the Earthquake from was running a REL up front and the earthquake for LFE in the rear. He then sold me the earthquake. He ended up replacing the earthquake with the REL because he was getting up in age & wanted a very clean/quick "musical" sub to compliment his future Maggies (magnepan). The other major reason was because his wife couldn't take the relentless bass that the Earthquake puts out (seriously). Now that he is down to only the REL, he lacks the kick he was once used to, so he plans to buy another REL to remedy that! OK you guys never told me where you got such an awesome deal on the Velodyne hgs-18.

On another note, I've been hearing alot on that ACI Titan II. It looks nice, but can it really keep up with these subs for music & HT bass reproduction?

I hope I didn't botch up this review too much guys. Just tryin to give my input on what I consider to be some "VERY TOP-NOTCHED SUBS"! Thanks for your input as well.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
""and I could only stand the volume on the sub at 3, maybe 4 tops (out of 10)!!!""

I have a question: anyone ever seen a sub with the volume higher than say 4 or 5? What circumstances warrants such a high setting?
Drew,

The sub level is actually dependant on the set input sensitivity of the amp. This doesn't represent how powerful the sub is. Some sub amps have a much lower input sensitivity than others. Meaning...At a given sub output level on your receiver you will get much more volume from a sub amp with a low input sensitivity rather than a sub amp with a high input sensitivity. Just because it's loud at 3 out of 10 doesn't mean it can go all the way to 10 without clipping or distortion. It just means that the sub output from the receiver is strong enough and the input sensitivity on the sub amp is low enough to really get the sub movin at a lower setting. You can surely clip an amp even at a 3 out of 10 setting if you have a high enough signal level or a low enough input sensitivity.

Hope this makes sense. I don't do quite as good a job explaining the technical things as well as others here like Vince Maskeeper. He always seems to explain thing well so everyone understands it.

Anyway, hope you're not more confused.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

The Titan II is not meant to compete with the Velo's, SVS's, or Earthquakes. It IS meant to compete directly with REL. Both subs are geared much more towards 2 channel audio, especially for people who have speakers such as maggies that make integrating a subwoofer problematic.

The real question is why anyone would buy a second REL when they could sell the REL and buy two Titan II's for not much more money?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks