svs - difference between amps...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SusanP, Nov 9, 2001.

1. SusanP

SusanP Extra

I have an Svs 20-39 which I absolutely love. I was thinking about getting the sampson amp to drive it. Right now I am using my 10 yr Yamaha 100W amp. Currently the volume on the sub amp (Yammie) is maybe 35-40% of full up. The lfe output level on my digital receiver is set to -18 of 20 which is 75db at reference according to my spl meter.
    What will be the benefits of moving to the sampson amp with more power. I am not using all of the power I have as it is... Will there be a difference in sound quality?
    I have a 600w GK bass amp is it ok to try this amp for the sub?
    Thanks

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Is there enough bass for you now? If yes, then I would imagine you wouldn't need to get the Samson. If no, up the volume level of the Yammie. I wouldn't try using the bass amp to power the sub. It is specifically designed for musical instruments versus powering speakers.

3. SusanP

SusanP Extra

There's plenty of bass. if I turn up the Yamaha too much then it will make the sub bottom out. I'm not sure that I agree with you on the bass amp reply though. This is a pro amp akin to the sampson, only it has much more power. It is used to power a large speaker or two.
    I'm not sure but I believe the Gallien Krueger amp is probably better than the sampson amp. Sort of like the difference in Samsung and Hi-end Yamaha products.

4. SusanP

SusanP Extra

I don't see too much of a difference other than my amp is capable of more and has an EQ built in.
    Specs on my amp:
    POWER 90dB, Clip LED
    and 10dB Pad, Volume, Tuning Mute
    VOICING FILTER: Adjustable Bottom, Contour, and Presence
    EQUALIZER: Series Four Band Active.
    OUTPUT: Boost 1 and 2/LED/Level, Aux Level, Left and Right Master, Tuneable X-Over
    DIRECT OUT: XLR, Ground Lift, Pre/Post and Level Control
    PWR CONNECTORS: Four 1/4", four Speakon™
    Samson s1000 amp:
    Rugged stereo and mono-bridgeable power amplifier
    Produces 500 watts per channel into 4 ohms (stereo mode) and 1000 watts into 8 ohms (bridged mono mode)
    Linear frequency response for exceptional audio performance
    Dual temperature-sensitive, speed-controlled fans
    Stable bipolar design
    Front panel input level controls with 42 detents
    3-segment output LED metering
    Dual protection LEDs and relay-controlled outputs linked to protection LEDs
    Banana jack outputs with Speakon(tm) connectors
    XLR inputs and locking TRS inputs
    Parallel outputs to "daisy-chain" a number of amps together

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I would say the GK amp would be fine. Just make sure to disable any "boost" feature.
    Give it a listen and see what you think, shouldn't hurt anything.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

6. John Gleichman

John Gleichman Auditioning

You certainly can use the GK amp. Many folks use "Pro" gear to drive subs. I use a Crown K2. Provides plenty of power. You'd get much 'cleaner' power from the GK, I think, less chance of clipping the amp.
    The GK might 'change' the sound you get - if it's also a pre-amp. Looks like it from your spec list. You're not just amplifying, you've got bass, treble, mid-range tone controls, etc. I don't know if you can bypass the pre-amp portion. That could be a + or - if you want to 'equalize' the sub somewhat.
    I have an SWR bass amp/combo - and wouldn't use it for/as a sub. I don't want the pre-amp, just the amp. If i needed to equalize, there are specific devices for this (with many more ranges/controls available.)
    fwiw.
    John