SVS Delema....need advice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by james vaughan, Nov 23, 2005.

1. james vaughan

I wanted to know if you guys thought I was being too picky or asinine about an issue I am having. I ordered a b-stock sub from SVS Rosewood in color and they said the base plate was destroyed and would be replaced with a black base plate. When the sub arrived the base plate was rosewood and the back right corner of the base plate had a good sized chip in it which is visually disturbing…..it does not effect the sound I know. It was not replaced with a black bottom plate as I thought he said it would be. Other than a few minor scratches on the sub itself which you have to get up close to see no other issues, with that I new I was buying b-stock and can accept.
    This is not a bad post about SVS!! I have already referred these folks to people who in general have asked me about home theater in casual talk or those who have come to my home and walked away dazed and shaken after hearing (and feeling) this thing do its stuff. It is simply………it does doe something to the loose part of your pants at your ankles from some distance away. For those of you who own one you know what I am talking about. I will continue to refer them weather this problem is resolved or not and cannot wait until the new tower speakers come out which I also will buy. Just wanted to know if you all thought I was being too finicky.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

James:

I've dealt with Tom, Ron, and Erik at SVS on several occasions. If I had to pick one single thing that I could say definitively about them, it's the fact that they want you to be COMPLETELY satisfied with your purchase. Unless someone is being completely unreasonable (which clearly you are not), I think you'll find them quick on the draw to remedy your situation.

As high as SVS sets the bar in terms of product quality and customer service (which is very, very high....as many of us know), they certainly don't claim to be perfect. It could be the simple matter of the sub accidentally shipping out before they had a chance to swap out the base plate....who knows. But I'm sure they'll be more than happy to get you squared away. I'd bet my home theater on it [​IMG]

3. james vaughan

Cool, I hoped I was not being to dorky about it. I could not ask for more out of a sub at this price point and I already emailed them so we will see what happens.
    Thnaks again.

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Yeah, their service is the best.
    I will say tho, you ordred a Bstock, so you should expect their to be some visual issues with it.
    Since they said they would be giving you a new black bottom oplate, your issue is valid. I am sure you will have a new plat by next week.

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

It's fine to be picky about things, but it's an honest mistake from SVS' part. I think a simple phone call to them would have resolved the issue. I would understand your wanting to post your experience if SVS (or any other company) couldn't make the situation right for you, but you haven't even given them the chance to do it yet.

6. james vaughan

You are totaly right I am sure they will fix the problem. And again this is definatly not a negative post about them. I hope I have made that very, very, clear. I would still tell people I know to go SVS even if they told me to piss off about the base plate[​IMG]I have had this sub for about a month or so know and thought it might be to late to say anything about it to them. I was that impressed with its preformance and thought I would just let it go but after a while it started getting to me. Yes it is b-stock and the minor scratches do not bother me one bit, but the "structural damage" to the base plate.....well like I said just wanted to know if any of you would look a gift horse in the mouth and say anything about it[​IMG] I have sent them an email so I hope I here back from them.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Give them a change to respond and they will take care of you. Probably no big deal to send you out a black bottom faceplate. I've had mine off and its very simple to put one on. You should have called them though immediatly first and then if you didn't get something worked out, then is the time to post the problem on a forum not the other way around as you did. Sorry just not proper way to do it....
    Mike

8. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

It's cool. I'm glad it's working out for you. But I've seen so many posts that results in a negative light for different companies when the user hasn't made any attempt to contact the company to get their help. We just have to be careful, as well as be fair to them when we post something about our experiences. Even when we make an attempt to state that it's not a negative post, many will try to filter thru all the good stuff and perceive only the negatives.

I think in your case you kinda internalize your apprehensions re: SVS' replacement about the damaged/incorrect base plate until you couldn't take it any longer (or something to that effect). It's natural for people to want NOT to disturb someone who's already provided them with something that is great. However, their goal (as well as other companies') is to satisfy you 100% (not 100% minus a base plate [​IMG]. And your feedback TO THEM is most appreciative and needed, so they can get a chance to correct their "mistakes". Many would be surprised to find out the lengths some of these companies would go thru to satisfy their customers.

BTW, I don't own any SVS products, so I have no interest in their business (for now anyways [​IMG]

Anyways, have a great Turkey Day and enjoy your sub!

9. james vaughan

Nhan_H
    You nailed it right. That was how I was feeling. I hate to complain or a make a fuss about anything, and that is why I wanted to get opinions first. Lesson learned here from my own post. Hope no one including SVS takes it the wrong way. Again My lack of quick "whats up with this" to SVS was due to my nowing that I got a steal even at regular price for this sub (everyone thinks I paid around $2200 for it and are suprised to find out the real cost)and hence felt bad about saying anything at all. So I wanted suggestions.
    I run an entertainment and wedding coordinating business and deal with Brides all the time. A very tough job WHEN DONE THE PROPER WAY so am very familiar with customer service and PR its just normally I am on the other end of the stick. You all are right I did this backwards and should have known better from running my own business. Oh well lesson learned[​IMG]
    Thanks again.

10. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Hey James;

Trust me we'll make this right. It was just a simple mixup at the shop and we didn't even realize we hadn't swapped out the damaged baseplate for the black baseplate as we had discussed. We got your email and we'll be getting out a replacement baseplate to you right away.

11. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You see, SVS and Ascend. 2 of the best in the business, especially as far as service goes (yeah, sound too [​IMG] )

12. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Hows that for Holiday service... Glad you get that baseplate fixed and your right you have a heck of a sub! Also from reading you post you must really deal with some weird problems and things. I can't imagine hosting weddings and such. I bet you really deal with a lot of very picky people for such things... Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mike

13. james vaughan

Honestly I am in shock! Completely incredible! Thank you Erikk!
    Along the lines of customer service yes we run into no can dos all the time just recently with a particular cell phone company that would not replace our phone that quite working because they said it had a Radio Shack battery in it! Radio Shack is was we got the phone! But the cell phone company would not honor the warranty! So typically yes, and that is a recent problem, I have not had very good luck when calling up or emailing and saying anything about a particular problem.

MikeLi
    Yes god knows it can be a real, you know what in the wedding industry. Your dealing with people who have all kinds of wants needs likes and dislikes. And your job in what we do, is the impossible, ¡§make everybody happy¡¨. Take your wife or significant other on her worst day and multiply that by 10. I swear most Brides have a mad cow look in their eyes before the ceremony is even over, and if you slip up even a little (timing is critical)¡K¡K..and I thought guys who did concrete were the only alcoholics in the worldƒº Trust me I do know all about customer service¡K or thought I did.
    Thank you again Erikk

14. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Well like I said James.. my heart goes out for ya as there is nothing worse than a bride nearing her wedding day! You must have a lot of patience my friend... Keep it up.
    Mike

15. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Looks like everything is working out now. Thanks for being a cool guy, James.

I also do not envy your job. Too many people take wedding planning and surrounding activities way too seriously. I wouldn't want to deal with all the bridezillas that you may have come across. It's a real shame they forget that it's their special day, and they should be the ones having fun. Screw all the other people [​IMG]

But I guess if people weren't as serious about weddings, then your job may not be as profitable [​IMG]

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

If one of them ever gets out of line... crank up the SVS for them... haha I can hear the wedding song with the bride walking down the isle with the SVS cranking out the bass about 20 times too loud... We will rename the song.. Shaking the veil! haha...

17. james vaughan

Not a bad idea at all. This might justify getting another pb12plus2 for the occasion[​IMG]

18. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

There ua go... Here come the bride all rumbly and fine!!!!!
    haha.

19. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I don't think any of the not-so-petite brides would appreciate such a song [​IMG] [​IMG]