What's new

SVS dealer (1 Viewer)

Ron Sc

Agent
Went on a mission monday. On a serch for a sub. Spent 7 1/2 hours looking and listening. Saw and hered allot of nice stuff. Was amaised to see one sub at one store for $1200.00 and the same sub at another store $799.00.
Any way I couldn't find anyone that Dealed with SVS. I asked everywhere. NO ONE even hered of SVS.
Does anyone know who deals with SVS in the Sacramento area. 95670

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
SVS is not well known in the traditional B&M shops. They are _very_ well known on these internet audio forums, and this makes sense as they have an internet-direct sales model. You could call the internet their "showroom floor"...

Your best bet is to see if you can find someone in your area that has one you could listen to (post a message here). You can always email SVS with your subwoofer needs and they can recommend a sub for you. They have a 45-day return policy, so you can try it in your own listening room and return it if you don't like it. Most people do keep 'em, myself included!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Ron, as mentioned above SVS is an online only electronic shop, so you won't find them anywhere in a B&M store. This is also how they keep the prices so nice for a hardcore sub.

Just stop what you are doing and order one. They have a 45 day money back guarantee, but it might as well not exist. I defy you to send back an SVS within 45 days as not being satisfactory for the price, you might be their first ;) Seriously, the only reason to sell or send back an SVS is to get another SVS that works better for you, they are that good.

Just get one and see for yourself...

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Check audioenvy.com to see if there is someone in your area with whom you can arrange for an audition. I'm positive there are other owners in your area.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Even if local audio stores did hear (check your spelling btw- it's "heard") of SVS no doubt they would put them down. My local M&K & Rel dealer did.:frowning: class them similar to Yamaha Vibe etc. That soon changed when he heard it going :)

I've only owned two subs, but can testify a $825 SVS exceeds a $1800 well known subwoofer.

So having a "big name" and "high price" does not necessarily mean high quality/good sound/good value for money.
For example the most offensive 4 letter word around. Bose! :D

terence

Supporting Actor
Some dealers will dummy up when you have some nerve to mention SVS. It goes a little like this.

Me: Have you heard of SVS subwoofers?
Dealer: SV.....who??!

Me: You heard me SVS!
Dealer: SV...who, now?

Me: Whatever, never mind.

Believe me a lot of sales guys/dealers are smart, and they visit these forums and know what's going own out here in the HT world. It would not be wise if they did not. I met one local dealer (owner) who fessed up and said "SVS! Hell yeah i heard of them, and I have one in my basement theater. It's one of the earlier models, but our Monitor sub we sale is better ;)" We both :laugh: :laugh: and left it at that.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
In the retail music biz (at least the big names) if they can't make a 1:1 profit margin or better they won't sell something. So even if they did sell SVS, it would look something like this:

20-39 PCi -- $1300
PB2+ -- $2700
B4 -- $?!?!

The fact that SVS sells direct for not a lot of profit per subwoofer really undercuts the B&M's ability to carry the same line of subs. So what else can they do but cr@p on the product and pretend it doesn't exist? If they admitted that they couldn't carry it because the profits aren't enough they would be losing a lot of customers.

So just think, it's not that online boutique electronics are so darn cheap, it's that everything you see at your local B&M is marked up at least double the price to them. Whew, that's pretty scary...

Seth_B

Grip
lol, I've lurked here for awhile, but signed up to reply to Ron. Maybe I'll stick around awhile. :)

Ron,

I have an SVS 20-39PCi and live about 45 minutes from Sacramento. I'd be happy to demo it for you if you are willing to make the drive. If not, I agree with what the others have said about SVS subs. They are great. It is the best sub that I have heard personally and that includes subs that cost much more money. I can't imagine what the pluses and ultras sound like because this thing absolutely rattles the house. A marked improvement over my old KSW-12.

Ron Sc

Agent
WOW thanks for the response. Seems your all sold on the SVS. So what svs subs in perticular do you guys run.

Are the tubes any good.

Why do the boxes seem more expensive

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I got the same thing from my local HT shop. "SV who?" And these guys aren't dummies, I know. Anyway, I bought my high end DVD player from them this summer, and just picked up a Paradigm center from them the other day. When I went to order my SVS - the 120lb. monster only ships Bax Global freight and not UPS - I had to find someone to recieve my order (I have a undeliverable PO Box, AND I can't take mail at work - double whammy!). Anyhow, they were cool enough to let me use their shop as a reciever for my sub, so I intend to offer them a listen if they care. If I were in their shoes, I would want to experience first hand what so many are raving about to know what I am losing sales to. The more knowledgeable they are, the better they (the more honest ones) can serve you (even if it means selling you a set of in-house Paradigms and then sending you off to the net for a sub to match - but that's just me).

If all goes as planned, after the in-store demo they'll say "How much did that cost?" and better understand the decision I made. I'm going to ask them about hook-ups and probably buy my connections there too, so it works out great for everyone in the end, really. So it should anyway.

Can't wait to see the look on their faces when the SVS effortlessly handles its first LFE workout. But then, I can't wait to hear it for the first time PERIOD.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
First and foremost if someone asks in my showroom I tell them, yes it is a very good sub. But some people require hand holding and a person in front of them helping them all the way. Yes SVS has phenomenal customer service but to some they need that human being right there. This commment

"So just think, it's not that online boutique electronics are so darn cheap, it's that everything you see at your local B&M is marked up at least double the price to them. Whew, that's pretty scary... "

kind of makes me laugh, first most everything is not double the price(it would be nice) but do we think the only reason SVS is selling internet direct is to help everyone out there save money and that is it? No, it cuts the middle man and in the short term now keeps their profits higher. Is that wrong, no way, these guys work hard, offer a top notch product, and top notch service and deserve every penny they make. But by no means think they are SVScharity.org. With that keep making a great sub and force everyone else to follow your lead.

terence

Supporting Actor
Ron Sc,

The boxes (PB1-ISD/25-31PCI & PB1+/25-31PC+)are sonic clones of the cylinder models. Boxes are more expensive to make than the cylinder models due to heavy internal bracing and material.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Keith, don't forget to post their impressions. I'd love to hear about the "jaw dropping bass" they hear.

B

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Kevin, apologies. I mean the corporate big name B&Ms, like Soundtrack, Circuit City, etc. Local mom and pops that own one or two shops (which I assume means you) are decent. I'm talking companies that sell public stock and then need to make $$$ to survive.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I remember when I went to buy my Paradigm speakers from the local dealer.

Dealer: So, can I intrest you in a PDR-12 to go with those Atoms?

Me: No thanks, Have an SVS on order.

Dealer: Oh God I hate SVS.

Me: Why?

Dealer: I've never heard of them until three months ago, and now nobody is buying subwoofers anymore from me because everyone is getting SVS's! I've only been able to sell car subs for two months!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Garret,
So true....but like it has been said why should one pay $1,500 for a Def tech or a sunfire jr sub when you get a SVS.

Your statement probably doesn't happen in my area as I don't think alot of people know of SVS in the Wisconsin area. I think people here stick with BB/Circuit city and some of the local Hi Fi shops.

Actually I was in CC a couple weekends ago and some older man was looking at a system. I was tempted to tell him a few things but decided it wasn't worth the time.

Ron Sc

Agent
Thats a good report Garrett. I think I'm going to order one soon Not shure which tho 20-39PC Plus or the 25-31PC plus? It's got to be deep. Gotta feel it not here it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks