SVS CS+ vs the Ultra

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianKR, Oct 20, 2002.

1. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I am trying to find out as much as I can about the differences from people that have owned either the SVS CS+ and upgraded to the Ultra or had the original Ultra and upgraded the Driver to the TV-12.

As far as performance I know the Ultra TV-12 driver is only 1 - 1.5 dB above a CS+ dB-12 Driver.
    What I want to know is the sound "quality" differences between the 2 sets of drivers.

Please chime in.

2. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Brian, the current Ultra TV-12 driver is supposed to go about 1 to 1.5 dBs louder (clean output) than the original Ultra TV-12 driver. The original Ultra went louder by a few dB (I'm not sure what the number is) than the Plus dB-12 driver.

So the total dB difference between the current Ultra and a Plus is more than you think.

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I was under the impression that the dB-12 driver (the current CS+/PC+ driver) was the old Ultra driver. I thought that was the driver (dB-12) they (SVS and others) were referring to being only 1-1.5 under the TV-12 driver in total output.

4. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

No, the CS+/PC+ dB-12 driver was a new design, though I'm sure Tom used a lot of the tricks he learned in designing the original Ultra driver in designing the dB-12. But I think he figured out a few new tricks in designing the dB-12 which he then applied to a re-design of the TV-12.

5. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Doug,
    Thx for clearing that up.
    I didn't realize SVS upgraded an existing driver.
    Assumption is the mother............

I'm glad I posted this, ask a question get an answer.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I had the 20-39 CS+ but once I saw the new driver in the Ultra I had to have it, luckily I was still within my return policy. The CS Ultra adds a much more visceral impact to the bass. Both had incredible output but I never really ran near their limits since my room was pretty small(tad under 1500 ft^3).

I thought the CS+ sound quality was outstanding. Very tight and articulate, it really is a spectacular sub for the price. When I switched to the Ultra, the first thing I noticed was the difference in the definition of each bass note. It is so right on with every note, no matter how complex the bass passage the Ultra get's it right every time. It's like a delicate giant, it can play with the utmost precision on music but it can also deliver bone crushing bass when called upon. The difference in price is well justified and not just because of the output. Even though the Ultra can play louder, I highly recommend it because of it's sound quality.

A little side note, before this my fav. sub was the Aerial SW-12($4500), very musical sub. Although I've never heard it in my home, I heard it in a store demo room that looked like it was built out of acoustic treatments and bass traps were holding the ceiling up. Well to make a long story short I prefer my Ultra in every aspect. I even went back to hear it again and it was apparent the Ultra is just plain awesome!

7. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Damn Frank,

That's an impressive recommendation!