svs cs ultra

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AndyHangartner, Jun 14, 2003.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick note on the Ultra. I picked up Orin Dym's used Ultra and I must say. Out of all the different subs I've purchased or home built, the thing that amazes me most about this sub, is how well it blends with the other speakers. Almost disappears into the room. Very non-directional bass using the same x-over settings I have used on other subs. I think its a keeper.
    andy

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

3. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I feel the same way about my Ultra. It blends better than the subwoofer it replaced. It is very convincing how my main speakers seem so rich in bass extension. It is very easy to forget I have the sub hooked up when listening to music due to it blending so well.

I just completed some 1/12th octave frequency sweeps and I'm further impressed at the extension this thing has. The sub is in a 7500 cubic foot room,in a corner along a 40 foot wall. I get very strong extension down to 16.8. I'm guessing 16 to 16.5 would be about the in room -3db point. At 15 Hz the sub is really rolling off its output and it's at this very frequency that SVS recommends using a subsonic filter if you play reference levels of very low bass. SVS seems to really no their subs performance to the *T*. BTW, this is in stock tuning using an 80 db SPL as a starting point and the ratshack 15-16 feet from the sub.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I've had my CS Ultra for over 1.5 years now, and I listen to music more than movies. The CS Ultra gets used with my music via an ICBM and BFD. The sub is physically located behind me, but one wouldn't know it without seeing it. The bass is seamless with the rest of the music, so you'd think the music from the bass guitar / kick drum / whatever was coming from the same area in front as the rest of the music.

Doug