SVS CS-Ultra Subwoofer System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miguel Stanic, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in one of these subs...not two....but one.

Are they really all they're cracked up to be? Their website shows they have a lot of confidence in their product....here's a quote which I'm sure you've all seen regarding the CS-Ultra line.

"Make no mistake, when properly calibrated (a fast and easy process) this package will be so supple, nuanced, and revealing you'll want to cry. Yet, when the dogs of war, beasts from hell, or other movie or music bass is unleashed you will be afraid, really. This system will exceed everything you ever expected from home theater bass. That's a promise from all of us at SVS. See...we've heard the CS-Ultra's...and even we are still grinning (which started right after the fear subsided)."

Now, my questions:

They sell a Single-CS Ultra Package which includes a Samson 1000 Watt Amp and a Better Cables Interconnect along with the sub of course. This package is $1299 US.

Then, they list just a Single-CS Ultra Subwoofer for $899. Is this sub good or is it inferior to the one above with the Samson 1000 Watt Amp. I'm interested in this one because the other one is much more expensive and I don't really care for the interconnect.

What about prices? I'm assuming these subs are only available web-direct and you cannot haggle with the price?

Has anyone ordered one of these from Canada, where I am, and how much does it cost to get it shipped.

Thanks.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Miguel,

The CS series is an unpowered sub. This means it is necessary to purchase an amplifier (i.e. the 'package') from SVS or supply your own. The Sampson is a separate amp that you must mount in a rack and wire to the unpowered CS. Take a look at the 'PC' line of subs if you are looking for a powered sub (i.e onboard amplifier). The PC+ line, while not as powerfull as the Ultra, is right in line with your budget of $800-900 and brings many smiles to the faces of it's owners.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

5. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

If I buy one of these suckers, I won't be able to audition because they are not sold in Canada and are only web-available. The B&W may be auditioned but I doubt my dealer would have this model.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

B&W ASW CDM (because I have B&W CDM 9NT's with a B&W ASW2000 sub I'm looking to replace)

HSU VTF-3

HSU VTF-2

HSU TN1220HO (the powered one with the AMP)

SVS PC-Plus (16-46 or 20-39 model)

I don't have a large room. I'm looking for deeper, tighter, cleaner bass. Primarily for Home Theater but also for Music. Which would you choose and why?

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

How does HSU compare to SVS
    SVS PC Plus 16-46 or 20-39, can't decide
    Hsu VTF-2 vs. SVS CS 16-46
    Why not get a SVS 16-46PC+ ?
    SVS PC PLUS or HSU-VTF-3
    How does the Hsu VTF-3 compare to a SVS??
    Best Bang For Buck: HSU VTF-2 vs SVS 20-39 PCi
    SVS 20-39 versus 16-46... which one?
    But all those aside, I've made a few DIY subs using older SVS drivers and they sound fantastic. And I was given incredible support from Tom V during my project. I would go with SVS simply on customer care (it's more than support, they actually DO care) to say nothing for their superior performance even well above their price range.
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

7. Sean Carter

Sean Carter Stunt Coordinator

Heres a little something that I read about the CS-Ultra that might get you buy it. I read that two of the SVS CS-Ultras are equal to the $30,000 KRELL Master Reference Subwoofer. I have a CS-Ultra, and It rocks the house. I compared it to the $4500 Aerial SW12, and This wins hands down. It is more accurate, it feels like a wrecking ball going through your chest when the bass hits.

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have been using subs since the mid 70s from great JBLs (B-360, B-480) 3 piece JBL systems L-212s about 3500 dollars in 1980, Definitive PF 15 , Klipsch, M&K several versions, DIY subs latest being 4 DynAudio 12 inche woofers compound loaded, 2 in each box, now today a meager c series 2039 that I drive off 1 side of a 130x2 Rotel amp (which will be replaced with a 450 watt pro amp next week) and I will say the SVS does not take a back seat to anyone. It doesnt blow the grill off every time I turn it on like the big JBLs would do but it will do a respectfull job on anything you want it to do. Properly setup and calibrated it sounds as good or better than ANY mass market sub made and as good or better than many "speciality" or extreme high end subs do.
    You have 45 days and there are some things you have to take on faith, SVS is one of those things.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I was in the same situation as you one year ago. I ended up getting twin 20-39cs+ subs and a samson 1000 amp. I am still blown away today. SVS subs are a great product and the customer service is fantastic. All you will be out is the shipping if you decide not to get one. I really do not think you can buy a better sub for the price. That is the bottom line. I love to watch the faces of the people that come over when I crank these boys up!

11. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Michael, if I were in your position, I would only be considering the PC+ and the VTF-3. And between those, if you like the looks, I would go w/ the SVS. If not, the VTF-3 is no slouch either.

12. Sean Carter

I have the Ultra and It is the best subwoofer I have ever heard, the only thing better than one Ultra is two, then three.

13. Sean Carter

Then the [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]B4 Plus [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]