SVS CS-Ultra/S-1000 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Gordon, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'm doing a little research on setting up the single CS-Ultra/S-1000 package due to be delivered Monday (yeah, it's gonna be a long weekend!).

The manual for the Samson S1000 (you can download it from the SVS website) says not to bridge the amp into a 4 ohm or less load. The manual for the CS+ series (manuals for the CS-Ultra do not appear to be available) say that the amp must be able to handle a 4 ohm load. So should I bridge both channels of the amp to run one sub or not? If I can get away with it, shouldn't I back the amp off a little bit?

Thanks for your help... I think I'll go check UPS Package Tracking again... sigh.

2. Rey_Ramos

Rey_Ramos Agent

A long weekend indeed. Hang in there. I just got my Ultra/S1000 a few days ago and calibrated lastnight. I say leave the amp in Stereo mode and use one channel with the gain all the way up and use your receiver to calibrate the sub volume. I can't imagine needing more power than the one channel for one ultra. I posted in a different thread that you have to experience it for yourself. I'm no expert and I could be wrong but I believe this is the right way to do it. You are in for a very bassy ride. [​IMG]

3. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

I had this same question when I was awaiting delivery. I have the CS_U and S1000 too. TomV told me not to bridge it. He said the voice coil could handle it, but when you bridge it, it becomes 8 ohms. The sub is a 4 ohm speaker.
    Don't worry about it. 500 watts on one channel is plenty, believe me. I do, however, look at that other channel sometimes, wishing it had another CS_U to push. [​IMG]
    You're in for a long weekend--enjoy the Ultra when it arrives!
    Andy

4. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

I have a CS-Ultra, and am getting around to upgrading its power and am considering the S-1000. I downloaded the manual last night and noticed it doesn't look like it has RCA inputs. Is this true??????????

5. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

mctague,
    The S1000 does not have RCA inputs, it has ¼ in jacks, but SVS includes a nice ¼ inch to RCA cable so you need not worry. [​IMG]

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Guys,

The Samson amps aren't designed to handle less than 8phms when bridged. All SV woofs represent a 4ohm load to the amp. So...don't bridge a Samson into a SV.

The Samsons do not have RCA inputs, but we do provide 2 adaptors and a 1m RCA to 1/4" cable with each Samson purchased with a subwoofer at SVS.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

TV

7. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

Matt: If you talk real sweet to Ron from SVS he might just e-mail you a copy of the manual. He did for me(shhh!don't tell anyone else).

Matt

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The samson amps aren't designed to be bridged into a 4 ohm load. That's what swayed me away from them, I bought a crown instead. One channel is plenty of power anyway. For those of you that have that extra channel of power just sitting there waiting to be used, have you considered Tacticle Transducers to run off the other channel?

Maybe a buttkicker or an array of lower power shakers. Really gives you that extra impact "kick you in the butt" feel. Especialy at lower levels when the sub doesn't cut it.

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Well Matt, the manual will be here soon enough... my subwoofer and amp are currently somewhere in Indiana, so they're on the way... just one more state line to cross! But thanks for the tip!
    ...and thanks everyone else for your advice, too. Now I know what not to do! Someday, maybe another Ultra will go on that channel...
    ...Or I guess I could just sell the Samson and use a Krell monoblock instead! [​IMG]

10. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Thanks TV and Matt....I'm on a 2 or 3 year plan to get into a Dual CS-Ultra Package, so I'm going piece-meal. [​IMG] Though the last part (the 2nd ultra) will entail moving or building a dedicated room.