What's new

SVS CS Ultra PC is in the house!! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
My wife has been having a garage sale for the past couple of days and when I looked out the front door to check on how things were going there set at the bottom of the front stairs to the house a huge box. Then the next thing I saw was the label "Made In U.S.A." and below that "SVS The Bass Authority". Needless to say I did a little jig right then and there and muscled this puppy into my house.
svsbox.jpg

First off. The box was in one piece. No holes. No dents. Just a smooth box.
Next thing I do is to grab a knife and open the box with it standing up right. The wife and I grab ahold of the plastic that it is wrapped in, take out the foam/cardboard holders and I have this huge subwoofer setting in my living room.
svstall.jpg

One of the special things about this particular sub is the three special patented ports at the top of the sub. Here you can get an idea of what they look like.
svstop.jpg

This unit is a CS Ultra PC, so it has a built in amp. Just plug it in, set it up with Avia or Video Essentials and a db meter and you are in business.
svsamp.jpg

I set the sub up late last night and since then I really haven't had that much of an opportunity to really put it though its paces.
I was able to demo Toy Story II, The Professional, The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over, The Fifth Element - (The Diva Scene) and Contact.
I was in the process of demoing Toy Story II when my wife walked in telling me that the ground was vibrating outside of my house. My thought was "Cool. Now I can compete with the rollerboomers that drive by." I literally shook pictures off my wall and this was not even close to reference levels.
Needless to say I am about a pleased with this sub as I have been with any other piece of electronics that I have ever owned.
You all know this phenomena. You get a piece of electronics gear and you can't get the smile off your face for some reason. You then proceed to shake your head in disbelief. Well, this has hit me hard since I first took the sub out of its box. Now I need to go take something to help my face stop hurting from smiling too much.
Parker

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
That is one hell of a sweet sub. Damn rollerboomers, they always blast by and I just wanna show them what REAL bass is like. I bet the thing hits hard. Do some more demoing and let us know what this thing is really made of.
I have been some what of a skeptic of SVS. Not in the sense that the subs aren't amazing subs, just the hype got to me a bit. I love the design and the concept, plus they are HTF members product, which is a total bonus. The only reason I never got caught up in the hype was that I just didn't see myself getting rid of my beloved PW2200 for one. I love the bass the the 2200 and couldn't see bass being so much better that I had to run out and buy one.
BUT.
When I first saw pics of the driver being used in the SVS ultra line I was quite a bit intrigued. I wouldn't mind picking one up when finances are right and I can unload my PW2200.
So push this new beast to the limit and let us all know what she can do.
Thanks for the pics.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me.
[Edited last by Ryan Peddle on July 14, 2001 at 04:22 PM]

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
Will this powered version become a permanent member of the SVS family??
What kind of amp did they use in this model,how many WPC??
------------------

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
SVS idea of top firing ports is brilliant. This is best utilized in corner installations; where these top ports do not add to "boominess".

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
We're sure to sell a powered subwoofer using the newer(underhung)driver someday...but it won't be identical to the subs we shipped to Parker and Ron. The amp is approx 400w.
TV

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I love that "Made in USA" sticker with the flag. You don't see that too often on any consumer electronic product.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ryan:
Get one of these puppies. You will be glad you did. Sell that old sub and join the "hype". We have a used subwoofer page if you want to try to sell it on there. It is the only hype that I have been this happy to be a part of.
Michael:
As Tom said it has a built in 400 watt beast, tweaked by Mr. Bass himself.
Timmy:
I am going to move it to the corner of my living room I just wanted to get it up and firing. I couldn't help it. It was pleading with me to get it plugged in to my receiver. The poor thing. I couldn't just leave it setting out in the middle of the room.
frown.gif

Who let the bass out!!? Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom...

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
I have a pair of 16-46's a few blocks away from you. If you want to hear them drop me an email. [email protected]
Larry
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
With luck we might see something in the PC-Ultra realm around the end of the year. That's a very rough est. though. Our main priority now is sorting out the final finish specs of the long delayed SS line (now slated to be a full hardwood and veneer cylinder design since no one has been able to make piano gloss components that met our "cost no object" standards for the SS). It'll take the CS-Ultra concept and make it deeper performing and blow out all expectations on looks/design/finish. We'd sooner push it to the right than not GET it right though. So slip to the right it has. With the CS-Ultra out though we can focus back on what will be the top offering from SVS, the SS.
Back on the PC-Ultra plans, much depends on testing now underway in the UK. That's where the digital amp with about 500 watts is in development by our current amp designer (who's actually based in Germany).
We've been promised samples as soon as they are ready.
The amps Ron and Parker have in their subs are very good however, so they will be strong candidates for the PC-Ultra design should the UK made amp not be all we've been told.
In the meantime Ron and Parker assure us they don't mind acting as "Beta Testers" for this proof of concept model now on the SVS drawing board.
Ron

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:
You mean Ron and I don't have the top of the line?
frown.gif

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance The USC marching band has never sounded this good. I could actual feel my pulse changing rates.
You really need to put a label on the side of the box such as rides at amusement parks have on them. "Warning! If you are pregnant or suffer from heart disease or have had a heart attack you are advised not to plug this unit into you system. If you do we assume no responsibility for the damage it may cause."
Note: I would also suggest that you guys have the wife put away the fine china if you want to live through the night.
Parker

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Very cool! I've been waiting for Ron and Parker to get their Ultra PCs so I can read a review. I've only had my SVS for a month and now this has me itching to upgrade. :) I'm sure the neighbors in my apartment building will appreciate the wait for the PC Ultra line to roll out.
wink.gif

Parker, what kind of sub did you use before and how does this one compare? No doubt this extends lower and louder, but I'm interested in how you feel about the more natural SVS "sound" as compared to other subs.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed - updated 6/16/01 with SVSubwoofer pics
my DVD collection

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I've always loved that amp mounting scheme. Amp looks like the one Stryke sells as the Amp350, and the same maker as my AVA250 from Adire, so I can certainly vouch for the quality of that part.
wink.gif
Did you guys tweak the subsonic filter?

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
That "amp mounting scheme" kept me awake for about 3 months straight just about a year ago. Nearly burned up a new table saw experimenting with different designs. Nice to see (so far) no one in the industry has managed to figure out how to do the same thing. Really a powered cylider is just about the perfect sub (just expensive and time consuming to make!).
Only Tom's perseverence in working thru our early use and the constant improvements we've made have allowed for a mounting beefy enough to handle that beast of an amp. It is virtually the same as the Stryke amp AFAIK, but we modify them locally with an EE Tom managed to talk into it. They run with no equalization of course for Tom's tuning, (can't recall if he did anything to the subsonic though, I think that was fine stock). The real trick was packaging that monster in a CS-Ultra enclosure (now with custom 1.5" laminated birch caps and the densest tubing we could get (no Sonotube in these subs!).
Parker,
What you want to upgrade already ;^) ? All in good time my boy. For now, that IS the baddest SVS (self powered) on the planet. When the Powered SS subs are out we'll talk upgrade and give away?
Ron

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron Eastman:
I have Def Tech all the way around and was using the PF 15 sub. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't even come close the sonic power of this puppy.
My wife left the house briefly a while ago and I slipped in Jurassic Park and cranked everything up to reference level. Oh my GOD! The pictures on my end tables and Radiola fell over and this time the dog ran upstairs. It was actually vibrating my hardwood floors enough that they felt loose under my feet. A piece of paper than I held over the ports was blown up about three inches from the surface of the top cover. That opening sequence has some killer sub bass. I ofcourse then had to check out the Tex Rex entrance and I actually jumped back in my chair for the first time and put my hand on my heart. You guys should have been there. It actually felt like I had bass shakers under my couch.
I cannot be happier than I am right now than I am with this sub. It is not only powerful bass but the kind of bass that is non distorted, percise and accurate sounding. What gets put into it is what comes out.
Ron S:
You have a deal buddy. You get me something that is better than this puppy and we will work out a trade. Until then nobody is going to even get close to taking it out of here.
I am not a violent man in the slightest but I can learn fast. :)
Parker

PeteE

Stunt Coordinator
Parker, I hear ya buddy. I finally got my "unpowered" Ultra up and running and it is phenominal. Hits harder than the 2 39's I had and I haven't really run it in yet. Seems tighter off the bat yet goes deeper. These joints are the real deal. I think I'll keep this one for a while (until SVS come out with something better, but I don't see how)
good bassing my friend.
------------------
Link Removed

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Pete:
I am going to set a trap for the rollerboomers so when they come by late at night I am going to blow their car off the road into the ditch. In the words of The Thing - "It's clobberin' time!".
Parker

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reveiw Parker.
I have been thinking of adding the CS Ultra to my collection of Bass.
eek.gif

I would have to wonder if my 700/W Samson would do any justice for the CS since they ship with a 1000/w Samson now.
Ron/Tom..How does the Samson compare to the units that were shipped to Ron and Parker.?
Is the CS line 'bottom out' proof? :)
You know what I'm saying.
Thanks.
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on July 15, 2001 at 01:26 AM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Trevor:
I would think that the 700 watt unit that you have wouldn't be that much of a difference from the 1000 watt unit.
Parker

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
quote: "Back on the PC-Ultra plans, much depends on testing now underway in the UK. That's where the digital amp with about 500 watts is in development by our current amp designer (who's actually based in Germany)."[/quote]
Did you say a DIGITAL amp????
smiley_jawdrop.gif

EXSQUEEZE ME?!?!?!?
Correct me if I'm wrong but if this comes to pass wouldn't this be the only sub in exsistance with a digital amp?
Are there many other products out there with digital amps?
How many watts are we talking about here(digatal amps are supposed to be SUPER efficiant).
As if we needed yet ANOTHER reason to drool over your subs, you spring THIS on us...
THANKS ALOT TOM/RON
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Kelly Scott Rickards on July 16, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

J

John Morris

I CAN'T TAKE IT!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT!!! I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!
Click....
Order # 779 - 1 CS Ultra
biggrin.gif

Ahhhhhhh... there, I feel much better now... hope the wait isn't too long.
The boom is back... soon!
merc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks