What's new

SVS:CS-Ultra come in any other size? (1 Viewer)

Randy G

Second Unit
After perusing the SVS site, it seems that the CS-Ultra only comes in the 20-39 tube. I'm wondering if either the 16-46 or 25-31 will be "ultra-fied", and if so, how much will they cost. Also, will any of the Ultras be powered? If there won't be any other Ultra models, why not? Thanks
Ran

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Randy,
We sought to simplify the CS-Ultra line, for both the customer and us. The equations/questions of "should I get two 25-31CS/20-39CS 16-46CS or a single CS-Ultra (or maybe the PC versions?)" are challenging enough to keep on top of. Adding two more models would have made clear recommendations very difficult.
The CS-Ultra is now the best combination of performance, size and cost that we can make in this price class, so we thought we'd stop while we were ahead there.
There will almost certainly be a "PC-Ultra" but we're still evaluating amplifiers suitable for the tremendous capabilities of the Ultra driver. We're expecting early next year on a powered Ultra.
For now, the big news is the long delayed debut of the SVS "SS" line. It takes the performance of the CS-Ultra, tuned a bit deeper, and adds material and styling equal to the finest speakers in the world.
In the end SVS remains a small company, yet in the last 18 months we've released 7 discreet subwoofer models (which can be combined in many more packages) and are about to release our eighth. Not too bad when you consider how many subs some of the mega-corporate OEMs manage.
Figure in the next six months a "PC-Ultra" and a "SSp" (powered SS) and by year's end yet another type sub we feel will be a great niche player.
Keep your eyes peeled on our SVS News page (just updated BTW, along with severeal new articles on our Reviews page too) for (more or less) monthly updates on our plans.
Ron

Randy G

Second Unit
I understand, and thanks for the reply, Ron. It's just that I'm willing to compromise on the extension in order to integrate a SMALLER sub into my living environment. Yeah, for me, I need a single sub that will belt it out down into the 25hz range, so I was kinda hoping for maybe a 25-31 PC-Ultra. Yeah, the regular CS 25-31 will probably do, but that Ultra just seems sooo cool. As it now stands, I am using 2 Velo HGS-10s stacked atop each other in my 3500 cu ft living room. They're a total rip as far as price is concerned, but I paid half price for each, and they are STILL the most powerful and accurate package for their miniscule size. Ya know, I just HATE having to pay through the nose for small size. Perhaps, you folks might work some magic in a mini cylinder one day. :^)
Thanks again,
Ran

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Randy,
I think a "mini-cylinder" using a Linkwitz Transform Circuit would be pretty interesting. Of course, this would be sealed instead of ported, but using the CS-Ultra's driver it could be a really cool design!
Brian
------------------

Randy G

Second Unit
I agree Brian. I suspect the sealed design would work, but I just wonder what kinda power you'd need to drive it.
Ran
still watching for that amp.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
MUCHO power! Remember, I want a Crown K2 to power the big 18" sub I want to build. I need about 1500W for that monster!
Brian
------------------

Randy G

Second Unit
Hmmmm....Oh Rooooon, ya think I should be looking to put my HGS-10s on the market any time soon????
now THIS is a gen-u-ine fishin' expedition. :^)

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry,
Should have said "by NEXT year's end" another type sub.
It might not take that long but it is revolutionary. Another of Tom's creations, and one your wife would love too. That last part is because I'll have a crack at it syling-wise ;^).
We're tired of some spouses dissing "big SVS's" so this new sub will be one that is smaller and is more disguised than anything we make now.
There's that's more than I should say. And as mentioned it's MONTHS away at least. Lots of exciting things in the works before then.
P.S. We already kill the HGSs coming and going on cost/performance, so I don't see any point to waiting. Get a dual CS-Ultra package and go watch them run home to mamma!
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Stimpson on September 10, 2001 at 11:57 PM]

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I seem to remember Tom mentioning "easy-swap" custom tuned ports ranging down to 12Hz for the Ultra subs. Has any progress been made toward this end? Maybe Tom can refresh my memory/elaborate further?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
1) the TV12 driver in the Ultra demands a TON of port flow capability. You CAN'T(edit) put 3 3" ports in a 25-31 enclosure and tune it low enough. forget about PRs...already built a bunch of them...dont like em...yet.
2)you have to pay through the nose for small. do a patent search and you'll know why svs isn't touching that market.
3)we're trying to get some simple port plugs manufactured for the CS_Ultras. Plugging one port will lowering the tuning point down to 16-17hz. Pluggin two would lower the tuning point down to the 12-13hz range. It might be a few more weeks for these though...we've been a tad busy....with....something else....
Btw---you could take the grille off and just stuff a nerf football in one port for now :)
TV
[Edited last by Tom Vodhanel on September 11, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks