SVS CS+ output question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I just sold my new 20-39CS/s700 so that I can take advantage of the upgrade discount to get a 20-39CS+/s1000 which I will order when I get home today. It is my understanding that the CS+ is roughly like 2 CS subs. Now my question is what differences will be noticed when listening. For example, will I notice more bass in movies that I am watching or will I only be able to turn it up louder and have more volume? Or will I have more lower extension at my current listening levels? I would like to see more lower end. Does that mean that I could block one of the ports and then the output would be lower than 20hz. Since it does more I could have more lower end at a higher volume? I guess this is the fundamentals of bass. I am just a newby. I realize the output of the CS+ line is greater. I just want to know how the differences will be noticed. Thanks!!!

2. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I can't answer your question, but you better hurry up and get that order in ASAP.

I believe the “upgrade” discount is ending any day now.

I hope to have my (2) 20-39 Plus’s next week.

3-Weeks without BASS is just WRONG !!!

Shawn S

3. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I am going to order as soon as I get home. I wanted to deposit the money for the ones that I sold. I think Tom said the special would end on the last day of the month but do not quote me on that. I do not want to start a false rumor but I am pretty sure someone at SVS told me that in an email or a post on here. I am really excited about getting a CS+/s1000. I was happy with the CS/s700 so I should be real happy with the plus series. I have only had positive experiences from all the things purchased at SVS. I want to go from "wow" to "oh my God!" in the bass department. [​IMG]

4. Shawn Sefranek

The SVS Website says:

“This offer expires the day we start shipping this staggering new sub. Figure on or about 25 January 02”.

Shawn S

5. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Now you are going to make me paranoid. I have an urgent desire to get home as fast as possible!

6. Shawn Sefranek

I’m sure as long as you have been in contact with them you are OK.

And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they posted some kind of “last call” thread here on Friday.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, I didn’t want to lay out the $$$$ and Pre-order until I knew I had buyer(s) for my existing stuff.

Now, back to the original question.

Hopefully Tom will stumble along here and enlighten us.

I’m curious too.

Shawn S

7. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Tom has mentioned previously that the new driver won't be shipped from the manufacturer until tomorrow, and at the very earliest, they'd start shipping on Friday. So, I think you'll be okay waiting until you get home... [​IMG]

8. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Jason you are a saint!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Well my order has been put in. I am ready. Of course right now I have withdraws because I do not have any bass.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think Ron's decided to extend the offer until midnight 1-31-02.

He should be putting a note on the website soon saying as much.

TV

11. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I need a CS+ PC....
    can you guys at SVS get a move on [​IMG]

12. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

I'm with you, Tony. I want a PC+ too, but........
    Tom said the it wont be for another 90-180 days, that's just too long to wait. I had to place an order for a 20-39PC, and if upgrade virus bit later. Then it shouldn't be too hard to sell the current PC to buy a PC+ (hoping for a discount like CS+ folks got[​IMG] )

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Thanks for the reminder guys. Because of the slight delays in getting the Plus driver (now down to days really) we did indeed push the deadline for the discount to midnight 31 Jan.

The webmaster will be summarily whipped!

(Ouch.)

PS Rest assured, we've heard from MANY customers wanting a PC Plus. It's already in the works, but we wont officially announce it, or take pre-orders till the parts are all contracted. I think you'll be fairly stunned with the results, so hang in there.

Ron

14. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Going back to Brian's original question...

What difference will be noticed between the CS and CS+? I'm in a similiar situation regarding my current 20-39CS w/S700 amp. I'll be moving into a new house in the next 30 days and was looking at simply adding an additional 20-39CS. But with the upgrade deal, the dual CS+ system looks hard to beat!

BTW, the HT area will be approximately 25'x 14'. Subject to change of course!

15. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I asked a similar question when I was considering the CS+ as well. I already have an s700 that I would use regardless of which way I went, CS or CS+, so keep that in mind. I'm sure the difference would be greater going with a s1000/CS+. Anyway, here's what Tom had to say regarding the 20-39CS+:

16. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Wow! That is impressive! I can not wait to get my s1000/20=39+. I would assume then that there would be more low end when watching a movie. Now that there is not an SVS in my house, I have no desire to watch a movie. I think I am having withdrawls.

17. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Jason. Doesn't seem like it will be a problem to "mix 'n match" the CS and CS+ with a S700 amp. I think I will send an email to SVS just to make sure.

18. Tony Meconiates

Ron,

What kind of power with the internal amp in the PC+ have? Is it safe to assume that will will have at least 250 rms?

19. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Dennis,

No problem running a CS and a CS+ with a S-700 amp. The way I'd calibrate them is one at a time (keep them together in a corner if possible). Depending on your typical master level, I'd run the CS at +3dB and the CS-Plus at +6dB over the mains (again measured individually, using the gain control on the Samson to get the different settings). The Samson should be close to full up when you do this.

After you run some demos, us the master subwoofer level control to get the over all boost or cut on the subs. My favorite disk for this sort of checkout is still Toy Story 2.

As a point of order, the difference in output between a CS and a CS-Plus sub running off an S-700 will not be as great as when a S-1000 is used. The S-1000 match a CS-Plus's appetite for power much better. A S-700 certainly will do well however, it's just that the Plus subs can take that power and then some.

Last point. I figured we'd leak this sooner or later but since you brought it up... The PC-Plus is planned to mate with an approximate RMS 500 watt digital amp. So the performance should just about match the standard CS-Plus with a Samson S-1000. The PC version will cost more due to its more complex construction, but as a stand-alone sub I seriously doubt it will have much competition in the $1,000 subwoofer price class. Final price is still in the works as we hammer out the details for the amp contract. This will not be some off-the-shelf Chinese sourced amp, it's an SVS design from ground up done to our exacting specifications, and all made very close to home.

What'd you expect? ;^)

Oh, maybe pre-order prices that will make you line up at the plasma donor office?

Keep an eye on this forum and our news page. When everything is in place we'll probably have some prices that'll do just that. Our timeline for intro on the PC-Plus is still loose due to the contracting and testing process now ongoing. Let's just call it, roughly, "Spring/Summer 2002".

Ron

20. Tony Meconiates

Ron,
    You guys rock... I am already drooling!
    My neighbors will hate you though when you ship the PC+ to me [​IMG]