SVS CS+ first thoughts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I got two 20-39cs+ subs and a samson 1000. Before I had a 20-39cs/s700. I have only begun to do my comparison. So far let me give you some of my thoughts. Since my real technical knowledge is limited I decided to compare this package to the previous package. With two of them turned on the levels of bass are just incredible! I feel like the bass is in my chest dancing and tickling my organs. I am running the combo a little hot at around +6 to +8db. It is hard for me to tell on the radio shack meter. Anyone that can give me some suggestions would be appreciated.
    The Matrix
    Scene #1 - Before when I watched the Matrix there were several scenes that I watched over and over for some reason. The first being the very begining of the movie with the chase scene arcross the tops of the buildings. The bass before was pretty good when they were running on the metal roof. I felt it a little. I will say that my onkyo 595 had to be turned on 48-50 or so to have this feeling. That is pretty loud. This time I had the volume on 40 and the bass was impressive even at that level. When turned up to 48 or so it just blew me away.
    Scene #2 - The helicopter - The helicopter scene had good bass before but now the bass is really impressive. I feel it in my chest and I get all giggly inside. [​IMG]
    I have yet to really turn it up and my experiences were limited because today I had to go to buy a Video Essentials DVD and it took forever to watch and use it. By the time I was ready to rock it was too late and my pregnant wife had fallen asleep. I know there are a lot of you out there that would like to hear a comparison between the CS and the CS+. So far I must say the most impressive thing about it is the amount of impressive bass even at low volumes. The amount of clean bass is impressive too. It just sounds different. It seemed like before to really get that nasty bass that we all want I had to really turn the volume up. Now I do not have to do that. My room is large. It is 20x18 with 12' ceilings. I think the one CS got swallowed alive in there. I will come back in a day or two and give you some more comparisons. The easiest way for a newbie like me to do that is to compare movies out there that I have watched before. I will also give some comparisons with only one sub turned on. This way many of you will be able to get an idea of the difference between one CS and one CS+. I also want to try the port blockers too!

2. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Brian... can't wait for your review... hurry!!! [​IMG]
    Joel

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    ooh-- they just delivered a strange 4' tall package downstairs...it's HERE!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...but first i gotta go take a test. [​IMG]

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

"I feel it in my chest and I get all giggly inside."

And as well you should! That's a pretty dang potent system, twin subs, even if they are "only" CS models are always recommended for bit bass desires in big bass hungry rooms as you discovered. As you know a few folks have had level/impedance issues with the big Samson amp and Plus sub combo so I'm sure it's a comfort to know that when things are working as they should you get the accurate and powerful bass you were hoping for.

Keep us posted on your testing. We're hard at work looking at each of the folks that have had calibration/performance issues so that they can all experience what you have. So far it seems all (or nearly all, there fortunately are only a handful of customers with problems) have Denon or Onkyo receivers. You can be sure everyone will know what we discover as Tom's guys look at this. Looking forward to your impressions in the meantime since you seem to have hit on the right combination, right off the bat.

PS Be kind to the sleeping wife. Smart man!

Ron

5. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Ron, do you know if it's only the Sampson S1000 that is having the impedance problem? Just wondering since I recently bought the S700 but haven't decided on a sub model yet.

Norman Short

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Both Samsons share the same impendence.

TV