SVS CS+ custom tuning port plug - linear excursion limit exceeded?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkFrab, Apr 17, 2002.

1. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

There was a little sheet included with my subs showing how bass extension was increased at the cost of total SPL when one used the included port plug. But for the 16-46CS+ (my model) it also shows that using the plug causes the driver to exceed it's linear excursion limit in, I think, the 20-25hz range.

How big of a problem would this be? Would it be more likely to bottom? Would THD increase? Any other concerns?

Thanks!

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mark,

Yes, your sub WOULD be more likely to bottom in that freq. range, with the plug. That's the downside of getting another 5Hz of extension (which on the 16-46 I find to be a bit uneccessary).

Now this isn't going to happen at "grandma levels". You are going to have to push your CS-Plus pretty hard to do it. There is no free lunch in the world of bass. In most cases, with healthy SPLs and most movies I'd leave the 16-46CS-Plus in stock mode for the very reason that sacrificing SPL's in that zone for 5-10Hz response (achievable with the port plug in with that sub given natural room gain) just isn't the best tradeoff in practical use.

Ron