What's new

SVS CS+ calibration...? (1 Viewer)

Rob alva

Grip
I'm having problems setting up my new 20-39CS+/s1000 combo. I bought this to upgrade from my Polk PSW650 sub. With the sub-level at -4 (same as it was for the polk) on my Onkyo 787 reciever & the s1000 turned to full up, I am not getting the gut-wrenching performance I've been expecting. For right now the polk sounded better. I was wondering how (if it's even possible) to reverse the phase of these subs. I know this is a no no but "just for calibrating purposes" I am testing with Monster speaker wire that is 16 gauge (I will upgrade to 12 gauge as soon as I find the best spot for my 2nd CS+). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Spare me...I am a newby to these svs subs. Thank you

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Wouldn’t switching the RED & BLACK speaker connections on either the Amp or speaker end accomplish this ???

Shawn S

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Rob, are you using a sound level meter to calibrate your subwoofer? If not, please don't take this the wrong way but GO BUY ONE. Nobody's going to be able to assist you unless you have one.

If you *do* have a meter, please let us know what the subwoofer gain setting on the receiver has to be in order for the sub volume to equal that of the mains.

--Steve

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
steve: if you get your sub volume about 5 db above the mains what do you think the db gain on the receiver should be? Im at plus six 2 46plus amp wide open,80 db for sub using VE mains 75.
thanks
gene
:)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rob, as mentioned...you'll need to calibrate using a SPL meter to get the best advice.

For now...try bumping up the subwoofer leveler in your Onkyo from -4 to 0 or even +2 or +4.

The 20-39CS+ will have about 4-8x the clean output capability the polk650 has...but only

Rob alva

Grip
Good God! Thank you all for responding so quickly. Ok. Here is what I have found out. I do have the spl meter. One sub is corner loaded up front & the other is directly behind the couch near a wall for impact. I have calibrated my 5 ht speakers to 75db. The 20-39CS+ subs are to 80db. My Onkyo 787 has a sub range of (-15 to +12) & I have it set at -6. -10 would be 75db. I am using the Pearl Harbor dvd for testing on scene 21 when the Japanese start bombing. During a certain part, one of the subs (one that is corner loaded in the front) bottoms out WAY before reference level is achieved (50 on the master volume). Any ideas on why? Should I put both subs together in the front corner or both behind the couch near a wall? Otherwise I am happy with the bass output (just takes a little while to get used to this clean, effortless , low bass these boys lay down)...it certainly is different. Thanks everyone.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Should I put both subs together in the front corner or both behind the couch near a wall?
Someone (Tom?:)) correct me if I am wrong, but with subs at opposite sides of the room could they be canceling each other out? I would think that putting them both together would work out much better for you, Rob. Best of luck!
Dan Hine

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Rob, try putting both subs in the same corner...preferably a corner near the key seats. Experiment with their phase and keep the configuration that produces the highest SPL at your seat.

If you are 5dB over on the meter....that's more like 7-8dB over actual since the RS meter is insensitive to bass.

My guess is once you put the subs together,nail the phase...and knock the calibration levels down to a more typical 2-4dB over the rest of the speakers actual(use a 75-76dB meter reading)....you'll be gaining 6-9dB of additional headroom from the subs.

BTW....how close to *reference* is *50* on the onkyo?

TV

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Gene, the subwoofer channel setting on your receiver will depend on the receiver as well as how "hot" you like to run your sub. I personally like things flat when using the AVIA DVD for calibration. With the S1000 at full max, my receiver has the internal sub channel at -6dB compared to 0dB for my mains and center.
The reason I asked the question is because if someone has to set the sub channel to +12dB and still isn't getting enough volume then something is wrong. That doesn't appear to be the case in this instance.
Subs in opposite corners *might* cancel out and the likelihood that they will is obviously higher than if they're stacked. But the only way to tell is to whip out a test tone CD and the sound level meter. I'm thinking it won't belong before those two things will be an SVS add-on automatically added to your shopping cart (you could remove it if you've already got 'em) when you try to buy a sub :) :) :)
--Steve

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
STEVE
let me refase.I balanced my two 46 in a corner in the rear useing the VE disk,all speakers set at 75db, sub set at80db,then used the strykes disk eq with the art.now thi s is the question,useing the 2 old subs I ended up with the receiver set at -5db.the new setup +6db.does this mean the samson amp is less sensetive to the receivers sub singal?the old set up was two self powered subs volume set to max. I know I ask to many questions but I cant help it.
gene:) :) ;)

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I don't know what would cause that, Gene. But I can say this... Your numbers look pretty good to me. I wouldn't run as "hot" as you--but that's just a preference thing.
My vote is that it's time for you to kick back, rent about 50 DVDs and enjoy :)
--Steve

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
STEVE
thanks a whole ill try.but of those hundreds ive only seen about fifty.thanks again.im going to watch the olympics in hdtv
gene
:) ;) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks