SVS CS+ calibration/output Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I have two CS+ 2039 subs/s1000 combo. I really like it and it sounds great!!! I currently have my combo configured to +6db over the mains. The mains are around +2 and the sub is -5 on the Onkyo calibration setting. I know this really does not matter though. I was watching the Phantom Menace and decided it to really crank it up. I turned my Onkyo 595 up to 60 on the volume and the bass was incredible! I then turned it up to 70 and my head began to itch!!! It felt like bugs crawling in my hair. Although at this volume it was about all my ears could stand. I did really like the feeling though. I would it be a bad decision to turn up the bass a little more so that I can enjoy bass like this without having to go up so loud in volume? What do you guys run your subs at? Also I do not know how to test the output. I had a tremendous amount of bass but my radio shack meter only registered 100db. Could that be right? My room is 20x18 with 12' ceilings. It opens up on almost one entire side and opens up in the rear with a place about 8 feet wide. How do I measure the output?

2. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

you set in the sweet spot hold the meter in hour hands at a angle to the celing.and watch for the peaks I think you still read a little low because at that level you hear the sub most.you must be sure your speakers are set right,I use VE set at 75 db for all speakers,rember the setting and play your dvd at that level,go slow up to it.try the first part of toy story 2 go slow.

gene

I have 2 46+

3. Rich Whalen

Rich Whalen Auditioning

Make sure that your SPL meter is on C weighting and not A. On A weighting it only really looks at midrange frequencies.
    I would think you would get higher than 100db. My room is 18x13, is vaulted up 2 stories and is open to the kitchen and foyer. I register ~ 115db with my single 12" sub at my listening position. Of course, my Klipsches do contribute as well. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Brian -
    It is fine if you like the BASS to have it louder than the calibrated level of the rest of the system. Just remember if you drive your subwoofer too hard you can fry the voice coils (a very bad thing). So go ahead and turn it up the bass as much as you like after all it is your system [​IMG] There is no "right" or "wrong" to this stuff just suggestions[​IMG] Just be careful at the extreme levels that you don't damage your equipment or ears.
    Laters,
    Jeff