SVS-CS 0r SVS CS-plus?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis M, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I currently have an old but very good stereo amp (Adcom 555 II) that has only one channel working in perfect condition(the other channel has distortion problems)I am about to buy a SVS sub that needs external amplification but I am not sure which sub to go for, the CS or CS+? Is it worth getting the CS+ over the standard sub? My Adcom puts out 200 Watts per channel at 8 ohms.I wonder if with 200 watts per channel the CS+ sub will not work to its fullest potential.

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Luis,

That'll probably be good for around 300 watts into 4 ohms then (the good channel).

Just get the CS. The CS-Plus will not perform better significantly with "only" 300 watts, and you'll save a few $ along the way. The CS-Plus will work fine too of course, it just won't be to its potential, just as you guessed.

Ron

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

my opinion is that if you ever think you may buy an amp which puts out the full 500+ watts at 4ohm you will be glad that you have the cs+ instead of the cs. that was the approach that i took when i bought a used 20-39cs+. right now i have 200w pumping to it, but i definitely intend of buying a samson1000 or comparable amp in the future.

4. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

David,

I was just thinking about what you just mentioned, about getting the better sub now and upgrading to a better amp later on. Actually what I can do is fix my Adcom which bridges to 1000 watts in mono, that would be a kick a.. system. I wonder if 1000 watts is too much for the CS+?

5. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Luis,
    I've actually run 1950 watts @ 4ohms to my 16-46CS+ and it sounded great! The amp is a Crown CE2000 which I believe is 660w @ 4ohm and bridges to 1950w @4ohms. To be honest though I currently run dual Ultras off of two channel of a 5 channel amp 200w @ 8ohm, 350w @ 4ohm (less when all channels are driven) and the other three channels do my center and surrounds. The Ultras sound fantastic!

I think the guys at SVS don't want to come off as salemen trying to get you to spend more money. I respectfully disagree with Ron and think you should go for the CS+, you won't be dissapointed with it running off that amp. I've also run my CS+ off of a partsexpress plate amp.

Its all good, Mitch

6. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I've actually run 1950 watts @ 4ohms to my 16-46CS+ and it sounded great!.

Mitch, that's a lot of watts. Did the sub ever complained? I am always afraid of bottoming out my sub.

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If you calibrate the sub, it shouldn't.

8. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

9. Kevin Law

Kevin Law Auditioning

I have an Adcom 555II bridged powering my 25-31CS+ and it sounds amazing!!!!! Bridged it runs at 600w @ 8ohms, 850 @ 4 ohms. I e-mailed Tom V about it because I wasn't sure whether I'd bridge the Adcom or not, and he said that the 325 watts would work just fine. The extra wattage bridged gives you a couple more db of clean output, but according to Tom V: "Unless you regularly pushed the bass to its limits with the 325 watt amp...these differences (between 325w and 500w) probably wouldn't be audible."

With the CS+ you get the awesome db-12 driver, double the port area and the ability to tune it lower. That being said, if money is an issue I'm positive the CS is great, look no further than the glowing reviews of it and the PCi version. It's a touch decision, remember though it's only $145 price difference between the two and "what if-itis" is never a fun experience.

Kevin

10. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Thank you kevin, I already made up my mind about the CS+, for $145.00 more I think is worth it. You can always upgrade later.

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Luis:

I see you have already made up your mind. I was going to recommend that you get the CS+ too. With the better sub and "tri-power" ports that you get with the CS+ line when you get that 1000 watt amp in the future you will be glad you went with the CS+

Parker