What's new

SVS coming, well, today! Need help with SPL, etc (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It's 2:10am now and it's an 18-year old's prime time! with my 25-31PC on the way to my door in about 12 hrs, i'm scrambling to get all the cables ready and buy an SPL meter.
now i'm new to this and i need help with calibration. can someone post the basics please so i can have the system ready for showtime tonight?
i'll post some pics along the way, but here's the setup:
Onkyo 595 (#3 works!)
SVS 25-31PC (only one
frown.gif
)
5 Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV mini-cubes (good and small for dorm life)
Pioneer dvd player in computer
19" Samsung flatscreen monitor
WinTV television/capture card with remote-- love it!
wink.gif

Sony CDP-XE400 (my new Marantz CC-4000 is on the way and will arrive early next week)
i'm off tomorrow AM to buy an analog SPL and wait...
thanks in advance for help with calibration!
-thomas
btw- thank you to ALL who have put up with my many long threads and have kept giving me great advice throughout my querstions and spending, and spending, and spending...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Link Removed
That link ought to answer all your questions about calibrating with an SPL meter. You need to pick up a calibration disc such as The Avia Guide To Home Theater or Video Essentials, but in a pinch you can use any disc with THX Optimode to get a rough calibration (although those are often disc specific, so you'll still need AVIA or VE eventually).

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You could but they are not as consistent or as good as the ones from either Avia or VE.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The test tones on the 595 will work okay for a quick and sloppy setting of the volume of the speakers themselves, but the subwoofer tone on my 595 plays about 7db too low in comparison to Avia. In fact, on my 595 the center tone is 1db off and the tones for both surrounds are off by 2db. So GET A CALIBRATION DISC! You won't regret it. Avia and VE also have calibrations for your television that will give you the optimal performance and color for your theater as well as many other tests to aid in subwoofer placement, phase adjustments, etc. I recommend Avia, as it is a bit more user-friendly and has an easier-to-navigate menu structure.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
it's here! and geez it's big!
the UPS guy wanted to know if it was a sub 'cause he's looking for one now. i said, "yeah it's great ...[blah blah blah]...check out www.svsubwoofers.com" so he said he would. this guy sounds interested, so Ron, Tom, look for a browser sometime soon.
finally hooked it up and got it bassin'-- the sound is marvelous. when i can finally config the soundcard to play via digital out, i'll be set!
movie night tomorrow, btw!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>the UPS guy wanted to know if it was a sub 'cause he's looking for one now. i said, "yeah it's great ...[blah blah blah]...check out http://www.svsubwoofers.com
>>>finally hooked it up and got it bassin'-- the sound is marvelous. when i can finally config the soundcard to play via digital out, i'll be set!
movie night tomorrow, btw!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
sure thing Tom. the new Onkyo was delivered via overnight shipping free of charge :). but just to prove that i have THE ABSOLUTE WORST LUCK IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, consider this:
i opened my package of DVDs from J&R today. it was the new Die Hard Trilogy THX/DTS special edition. anyway, i open it up to find --get this-- TWO copies of Die Hard 1 and ONE copy of Die Hard 3. no Die Hard 2!!!!!!!!
OMG i have horrible luck.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks