SVS + College = Proud Class of 20__ (insert number here)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    I just purchased the b-stock SVS 25-31PC to go with my college system, which raises some questions:
    1) will i ever leave my room/graduate? i'm shooting for a nice, round number, like 2025. [​IMG]
    2) Am i the first (or one of the first) to challenge SVS to a dorm-shaking challenge? just curious. i'm gonna rock all rooms surrounding me, even through floors. hehehe...
    3) will some drunk moron decide to relieve himself in my cylinder? hopefully not. i need protection, like seriously.
    anyways, i cant wait for it to come in next week! it's my first sub, and, ooh, what a way to start! just glad i dont have to factor in the WAF anytime soon [​IMG]
    A Big Thank-You to both Dan Wiggins and Tom Vodhanel for all the advice on the 3 subs i decided against.
    My system is now complete for my first semester (and probably year):
    • Receiver: Onkyo 595
    • Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV
    • Sub: SVS 25-31PC
    • DVD player: inside computer (Pioneer 16x)
    • Display: 19" Samsung Flat Screen Monitor
    • TV: WinTV card for PC with wireless remote [​IMG]
    • Alternate listening: Sennheiser HD-580 AND Sennheiser RS60 wireless (for two...wink-wink)
    not bad for an 18 year old, eh? i'll have pics of both the system and the dean's retirement letter in mid/late August. happy HTing and subbing all!
    -thomas

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Thomas;
    I have a friend who will be bringing his new 20-39PC back to the dorms once classes start up in the fall. I'm really interested in hearing what people down there have to say about it, especially since it's his replacement for a Sunfire True Subwoofer. Believe me, his downstairs neighbors did not have much love for him or his system. (The same could be said about my neighbors, but since they never complained, I never worried about it too much.)
    I would bring my recently purchased B-stock 16-46PC with me in the fall as well, but since I've already graduated, I don't see the need. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

LOL, that's pretty crazy man! You better check out your dorms policies because if enough people complain they can evict you. Make sure you don't live on a quiet floor. I already made sure I am on one of the NON-quiet co-ed floors (a.k.a. party floors) so it won't matter if I turn up my HT sometimes. I mean, with my 10" Paradigm sub I can go outside and stuff like the gutters on my house will be vibrating! People 6 floors down will FEEL the SVS.
    HAVE FUN!! [​IMG]
    edit:
    make sure you get your stuff insured, like on your parents policy! this is crucial
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    -Adam
    (a.k.a. kami)
    My budding DVD collection

Download a new Jurassic Park DVD cover
    [Edited last by Kami on July 28, 2001 at 06:55 AM]

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Your stuff should be covered under your parents Homeowners Insurance policy, but it would be smart to have them call to confirm this. College dorm rooms are an easy target--I had CDs and other items go missing. Be smart, lock your doors, don't let people borrow stuff unless you absolutely trust them.
    Oh yeah, have fun and learn stuff too...
    -Chris

5. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Hey there!
    I had a Velodyne FSR-18 in my college dorm room. Here's my favorite story about shakin':
    Apollo 13 DVD. Launch Sequence. Reference level. Some kid comes down to my dorm room from *four floors up* and says his dresser is moving across his floor.
    Ah, the good old days...
    -Erik

6. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Jesus you guys have room for these beasts in your dorms? SVS/FSR-18!!! I was worried about my large tube not fitting in so I made a smaller shiva-based sealed sub(similar to the Rava)..hmmm [​IMG]
    Thomas, I'm planning a similar setup in my room, and will be in need of a TV tuner card.. any suggestions or places with good prices?
    thanks
    [Edited last by Seungsoo Hwang on July 28, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Seungsoo: i think i got it thru newegg.com . make sure to get radio and WinTV and a remote. i bought the Hauppauge b/c it's good and it captures video. it's sweet.
    yeah the SVS is gonna save me alot of room in the dorm + shake the frat house next year!
    -thomas

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    never mind. i got everything BUT the wintv card there 'cause they didnt have it. i'll let you know when i find/check my receipts.

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

You contemporary college boys are sure spoiled. In my time, I started out with a pair of Dynacos and a 13" B&W TV in the dorm room... and both were never on at the same time. I was still able to piss off a few folks at 3AM blasting into the Quad [​IMG] Can't imagine what an SVS would have done [​IMG]
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    earned all the money myself. and no, allowance is not 'earned.' (some of the more *aged* members might remember allowance fondly!)
    cant talk-- hooking up the Onkyo now. i'll only be able to listen to cds for now b/c my SoundBlaster Live Value+ card didnt come with a digital out cable. they're sending one and it should be in next week. i have jerry-rigged a line-out -> Onkyo's phono input so i can listen to mp3s, but the quality is soooo utterly horrid it brought a tear to my eye! [​IMG]
    there- its all done. DPLII is great, as i'm a sucker for 5-channel sound. the bass flat-out sucks, but that will soon be fixed. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on July 28, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I heard that the digital out on most sound cards is not standard and it can damage receivers. You may want to look into this or maybe ask in the HTPC forum.
    My computer is hooked up to the receiver with regular analog inputs (red/white wires) and it sounds fine. I tried burning some CDs and playing threm through my RV31 DVD Player which is connected via optical toslink and the sound quality was identical. Analog should be fine...but don't plug it into a phono input. Plug it into the CD input or maybe an AUX input or something similar (mine PC's plugged into CD).
    Then again I only use the computer for music listening, so you may have no choice but to use optical so you can have surround sound. Just look into that optical cable issue
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    -Adam
    (a.k.a. kami)
    My budding DVD collection

Download a new Jurassic Park DVD cover
    [Edited last by Kami on July 29, 2001 at 06:31 AM]
    [Edited last by Kami on July 29, 2001 at 06:32 AM]