SVS "carpet"

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bob Kavanaugh, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Can someone post a closeup hi-res photo of the covering of one of SVS's cylinder subs? I have always wondered what the texture is. Sometimes it looks astroturfy and sometimes it looks plush. I'm not trying to clone one or anything, but I do plan on purchasing one soon.

Thanks!

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Here you go.

[​IMG]

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

It is soft, with a corduroy/velvet-like texture.

4. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Oh, wow, that looks nice. I never pictured it looking like that. Thanks!

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Yes it is, you are must welcome.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Their nice and cuddly also.[​IMG]

7. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

Be careful. Don't let your wife catch you hugging it. She'll get jealous.

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

LOL! My wife already complains about me spending to much time with the (Dual 20-39PC +'es)twins!

9. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I'm new to HT. What's with this SVS? Why is this so famous? Is it preferred over Paradigm subwoofers? Is this expensive too?

Thanks.

Neil

10. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

No, SVS are affordable- active cylinder subs start at $550. Apparently they're one of best value for money subs(and performance) and outperform subs costing several times as much. My $825 SVS certainly beats my $1800 (in the US) Rel Storm. Much better than a $2000 M&K MX-350.

Passive versions are cheaper- however you'll need a off-board high powered amp plus the SVS Bass Box to control gain, phase and the useful sub sonic filter (essential for ported designs) Wheras a active version is complete- just send power & RCE to it and away you go.

They offer stupidly high levels of output (dB), low distortion, low port noise, great customer service- for a excellent price.

Mainstream AV companies spend money advertising in magazines have to recoup this loss somehow- it's passed along to the customer. Companies like SVS, HSU, Outlaw and other internet direct comapanies do not pay for advertising. Therefore (usually) their products offer better quality for less money.

Spend some time looking over the various models (passive, box, cylinder, ISD/Plus/Ultra, port tune) and read the FAQ to get a idea which is the best for you. Email Tom with any questions- he'll reply quickly with no BS approach.

11. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi Neil,

Welcome to HTF![​IMG] SVS as you know so far is a subwoofer company who make and sell their own subs only thru on the net. They make excellent quality products and have outstanding customer service and reviews from pros & customers. The owners are Ron Stimpson & Tom Vodhanel who are also members of the forum. If you want more info just click on the links below.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/about.htm

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subwoofers.htm

http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...by=&sortorder=

Not at all when once you look at what you are getting. SVS is one the best bang for the buck companies out there. I found them to be a steal and worth every penny IMO. Have fun researching. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I want to add a bit about the fabric on the cylindar subs. I've heard people mention that it looks too attractive to cats, will collect a bunch of dust, etc. Well, my cats completely ignore the sub (I wish I could say the same for the new wing back recliner). After owning it about a year I grabbed a lint remover preparing to clean what I figured would be large amounts of dust (I live in AZ, so dust is a fact of life). Virtually no dust after a year -- it's almost like the fabric actually repels dust. Also, I think the fabric is designed to not reflect light, causing it to disappear when the lights go down for a movie.

-Robb

13. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have to agree with Robb Roy. No dust and my cat is very afraid of the SVS. He won't come within 5 ft of it when it's not in use. When it's on he cowers(sp?) under our bed.

14. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Vincent:

My cat actually goes INSIDE my subwoofer. It is a JBL cinema sub, and the ports are 6" across, so he just sticks his little kitty head in and goes in!!!

I don't let him do that anymore...

15. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Ever turn the thing on with him in it........that would be entertaining......

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Our cat will put his paws into every peace of furniture in the house except the SVSs. He will also lay on the couch arm just a foot away from the three units playing some real strong bass. Best cat I have ever had. I always have liked dogs better but this cat is a real trooper.

I have noticed dust collects on all my gear except the fabric on my SVSs. I would think that it would but it doesn't.

17. terence

terence Supporting Actor

What's up Steve.

Guys my wife's cat is very curious and always jumping on top of stuff, but one thing he won't go near is the twins. He knows what they are and i like that, I thought it would be a problem, i was wrong. The fabric seams to be Cat and Dust resistant. I use really good filters and change them out everytime the thermostat starts blinking "FILTER", and i still have to dust from time to time but never the subs.

18. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi terence> Not much really. I am socked in do to a snow and ice storm. So guess where I have been since 2:00 am? You know us teamsters, just the slightest bitt of wind or rain and it's a no-show! Just kidding buddy. Received a V-mail stating to stay home.

Did you see my reply to your post in that other Thread regarding what I'm up to terence? Down to the grills now so it is all coming together.

If you run your SVSs enough you don't need to run a filter terence. Don't you know that? With dual or better (they will present a dust free environment) 99.999% pure. Far superior to even what a hospital can offer. My wife has terrible allergies so this is why I need to run dual-dual[​IMG]

19. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I did and forgot sorry, sounds good be sure to post lots of pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG]