SVS calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Giles, Nov 7, 2001.

1. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

My question might only be answerable by someone who has the same receiver as me (Yamaha HTR-5280), but any help/suggestions from anybody else would be well appreciated. I should be receiving my SVS 16-46PC today (I decided NOT to hijack the UPS truck), and am trying to make sure I’m ready to calibrate it. I spent several hours last night printing out and reading calibration related threads here, as well as reading the Yamaha’s manual and experimenting with my current sub. I can’t seem to find the basic “subwoofer level” setting on the receiver. I found the separate LFE adjustments for DD and DTS. The DD LFE adjustment goes from -10dB to 0dB (0dB default), and the DTS LFE goes from –10dB to +10dB (0dB default). But from what I’ve read, this isn’t the same as the basic “subwoofer level”. My understanding is based on a thread from a couple of years ago, with the following quote from Wayne Bundrick:
    “Before you calibrate your subwoofer using LFE tones, you need to check the LFE setting on your Dolby Digital decoder. LOOK FOR A LFE ADJUSTMENT THAT IS SEPARATE FROM THE SUBWOOFER LEVEL SETTING.(my emphasis) I had an Onkyo ED-901 decoder, which had a button on the front panel called “LFE –10dB”. My Denon 5700 has a LFE surround parameter that is adjustable from –10dB to 0dB. I assume most other decoders have something similar, either a –10dB/-dB toggle or adjustable range.”
    Well, I found the LFE setting for DD (as well as a separate setting LFE setting for DTS), but I just can’t find the subwoofer level setting that the LFE adjustment is supposed to be separate from.
    Does any HTR-5280 (or similar Yamaha receiver) owner know where to find this basic subwoofer level setting? Does anybody with ANY other receiver have any ideas or input?
    Thanks!
    David

2. David Giles

Anybody?
    Even if you don't have the same receiver as I do, do you agree that I should be able to find an adjustment on my receiver for "subwoofer level" IN ADDITION to the "DD LFE level" and DTS LFE level"?
    David

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Dave - on my Yamaha 2095 the LFE level is with the speaker level settings.
    The range is from -20 to 0. I have mine at -15.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup
    [Edited last by Lou Sytsma on November 07, 2001 at 10:36 AM]

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Don't know if this helps but I have the RXV-620 same as the 5460 I think. I have the remote with the circle selector. Turn it to Amp and push the small round

5. David Giles

Jeff,
    Yep that was it.
    T H A N K Y O U !!!
    David