What's new

SVS Calibration (1 Viewer)

Rikk B

Grip
Before I start calibration, I have my Yamaha 595A set up like this: all speakers set to small, bass set to SW, SW level at -15 (range is -20 to 0), all other speakers levels set to 0, DD LFE set to 0 (range -10 to 0), DTS LFE set to +10 (range 0 to +10). I have a friend coming over with an SPL meter and I have the AVIA disc.

Do I need to use the meter and set the speaker levels on the receiver to 85hz? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Do I need to use the meter and set the speaker levels on the receiver to 85hz
The Yamaha method with AVIA typically means playing the disk"s LeftMain audio tone while watching the SPL meter in your seat, then turning the Master Volume control until reading 85dB.

This will end up at something like -16dB to -20dB master volume. This is your reference level.

From here, the other speakers are individually adjusted to match the 85dB level. The SUB is matched in that Chapter with a moving LM>Sub tone. Here the idea is to match Sub and Mains and you actually can reduce the master volume a little to make it easier on the ears. The sub/main still will be match-calibrated.

hope this adds to the fun...

bill

Rikk B

Grip
Bill, when I am adjusting the speaker levels, is that done in the receiver settings for main, center, surround and sub? Currently the speaker levels are at 0 and the sub level is -15. Thanks

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Rikk, sorry for the delay...

not quite sure I get the question...Sub level is a good start BTW so long as Sub gain control ends up in the 1/4 to 3/4 range on the SVS dial.

Speaker level settings are adjusted using Yamaha's scales via the remote: It doesnt matter where the Ctr and Surrounds numbers end up on the -10 to +10 scale because that depends on your spkrs and the room.

On my Yamaha, once I've set the LM to 85dB, for the RM I must use the Balance control feature found in the remote set-up.

Sub calibration follows logically.

Rikk B

Grip
Bill, I guess I am just not sure what to be adjusting with the SPL meter. The settings in the Yamaha are 0 except for the sub, when I get the meter what do I do first? Thanks

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
well, rik, this is standard Avia calibration. RS meter is set up (I use a camera tripod) in the main chair seat, tuned to 80 scale C Weight/Slow.

Avia Audio Chaper is dialed in to LeftMain tone, then Yamaha Main Vol control is raised til you see 85 reading on the meter. Make a note of what numvber the Yamaha Master Volume ends at. Like I say, this is YOUR reference level. Chances are you will NOT play this loud on later DVDs.

Leaving this Main Volume level, switch the Avia to the Right Main, then Center Channel then Surrounds, changing the Ctr and Surrounds from "0" where you have it, to where ever it takes to read 85dB again on the meter.

Is this what you are asking?

Rikk B

Grip
That is exactly what I was asking for. Thank you very much for your assistance. You have been a great help...

The SPL meter is on its' way....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks