What's new

SVS, buyers BEWARE... (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Yeah... One of our cats sort of "checked the sub out" for the first time yesterday... You know the routine... "Hmmmm That looks supple... Mmmmm It feels good on my cheeks.... I bet I could really sink my claws into that.... meeeeeeeooooooow... I wonder if anybody is looking???? Prrrrrrrr"

I took the opportunity to hit the "darla" scene which I have had cued up just for this possibility... :)

On a related note, if anybody knows how to lure a cat out of a fireplace flew, please send me an e-mail....

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
So I've decided to make a latteral move in the right direction speaker-wise. Now I'm contemplating a sub upgrade. My current setup is as follows:

FRONT: Vienna Acoustics Mozart
CENTER: Vienna Acoustics Maestro
SURROUND: Vienna Acoustics Haydn
SUBWOOFER: Velodyne CT-120

Music is a higher priority for me than movies, probably 60/40. The new speakers that are on their way:

FRONT: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
CENTER: Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
SURROUND: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3

Proposed sub upgrade:

SVS PC+ 20-39

My room is 13W x 15L x 8H.

Will this sub be a proper upgrade? (I think I know what answer I'll get) ;)

Bill

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Same here, that was 3 years ago.

I don't really hang in the hardware forums anymore, so I am a bit surprised to see this kind of thread still around. I guess I have taken my sub for granted, I honestly thought everybody here had one by now...

--
H

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Jeez mike when i read that first paragraph my immediate impression was something shot out of the SVS like a bullet and nailed your face and before i read the second half i was contemplating investing in some armor and a shield

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Bill-

My living room is about twice the size of that (with BIG HUGE openings ta boot) and the PC+ 2039 is MORE than enough sub to handle it (and the dining room, and the garage, and the neighbor's living room for that matter...) My debate was between it and the PCi... Glad I got the + for the variable tuning ability, but Im guessing the Pci would have had enough punch for my room if that flexibility hadn't been a factor.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

:thumbsdown: WHY>:frowning:

OK I would say changing the sub would help...but I would keep what you've got. The Vienna's are GREAT speakers.

I would the thread on avs about buying local speakers (and sticking to US/Canadian speakers) didn't change your mind :angry: :thumbsdown:

DavidG

Grip
Erik/Other 20-39 owners,

I'm just about to order one for my ~17x23x8 HT room. I think I'm going to go with the cylinder style, and am now debating between the 20-29 PCi versus the 20-39 PC+ (for an extra $225). Not to steal this thread, but if anyone could comment on the audible differences between the 2 it would be a big help (the + should go a little deeper with the longer throw driver and louder with the higher power amp and should be a bit cleaner, but these are all "shoulds" but I need something to justify the higher pricetag).

Thanks,
DavidG

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, the PCi and PC+ will sound almost identical (most people couldn't tell a difference), the only way you will know the difference is when you hit the reference levels where the PC+ can go a few dbs louder.

But they are identical. I opted for the PC+ just for the fact that I didn't know what the HT room will be once completed, so the extra money was more for my sanity. Now I wish I had a PB2+ or ultra...but we won't go there. lol :D

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Dan's right. They'll sound more alike than different. When the PCi starts to run out of "gas", the PC+ will be (nearly, down low) like having a second PCi.

In a room your size, really it comes down to just how loud you expect to push things. If you like action flics with lots of LFE action then the PC+ certainly can be good insurance against "upgrade-itis".

Still a PCi if you are on a tighter budget will quite likely impress you (especially given its lower price tag).

Ron
SVS

DavidG

Grip
Dan - to hear you say you got the PC+ just for insurance but now you wish you had the PB2+ is NOT what I need to hear right now (lets see, for just another $375 above the 20-39 PC+ I could get the PB2+..... hold on, I'm now $600 over the PCi starting point :rolleyes:)!

Ron - thanks for commenting on this. So, the 20-39 PC+ will have almost 6dB more headroom in the lowest frequencies (16-20Hz?) over the PCi? I'm thinking based on a number of other posts on multiple forums that I'm looking for distortion free peaks of 110dB in the lowest octive in my room. If the PCi will do that, then maybe I should go with that one (I'm always on a budget, but have learned that if I cut it just a little too close I wind up upgrading within a year or 2 and wind up spending more money in the long run. I don't mean to send you a blank check, but am looking for an honest answer. If the PC+ is really what I need then I'll find a way to pull the extra funds together and justify it to the wife.).

Cheers,
David

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I have one of the first CS subs, and upgraded it with the ISD, and I can't imaging why anyone would need more sub. The thing is just fantastic with movies and music. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this sub.
Just wanted to be clear. Sometimes hits too hard, like when you feel the bass in your chest instead of hearing the rattle of boomy bass. But I LIKE IT when it hits too hard. Another satisfied SVS owner.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Above 30 Hz, the PC+ will have a 2-3 dB advantage over the PCi. Below 30 Hz, that advantage grows to about 4-5 dB, and that's where the differences will be most noticeable.

If you are looking for clean 110 dB peaks at the seat in the 20-25 Hz region, you're squarely into PC+ territory.

Regards,

Ed

DavidG

Grip
Thanks Ed - I got my numbers mixed with the 6dB difference versus 3dB. I've seen other posts that imply doubling a driver yields a higher than 3dB increase in sound (assuming no cancellation effects, etc) level output. Wish I could remember all the acoustics formulas.

Based on Ron's wording and your numbers, I would have thought the PC+ would be close to 2 PCi's in the below 30Hz range (an almost 3dB increase)?

Cheers,
DavidG

DavidG

Grip
Thanks Craig - now the numbers and wording align better.

Done! A 20-39 PC+ it will be (unless someone wants to really torture me and tell my how I will regret not getting a pair of PB2+'s). Now, do you think a dozen roses or tilling up the flower garden for my wife will do a better job of smoothing out the need for the extra $$ for the PC+ :D ?

DavidG

PS. I can hear Tom and Ron now saying thank God he's finally made a decision!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
To be safe... Till the garden, buy the flowers... THEN promise her that noone from these forums will ever visit you at your house...

You will be good to go...

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Things to remember.....SVS has a 45 day try it policy. I think 90% of the B-stock's come from peeps that either got the bass bug so bad in the first 2 weeks they said "heck..it's only $500 more for an Ultra!" :D or a very few that didn't listen to Tom/Ron and got a PB2+ and realized they were scaring themselfs whenever they turned it above 10%...and downsized.

In my 20x15 with Cathedral Ceiling and open corner leading to Hallway and Kitchen next to the TV...the 20-39PCi kicks serious butt. I'm on ~40%...and nothing is safe when I get serious tracks playing. I sit with a dumb grin on face! :D

Or course in a year or two....Hm tax return....PC Ultra....Hmmm

:D

ScottCarr

Second Unit
David

A facial, massage, or something even better, laser hair removal for armpits of upper lip.

the lip is about $100 and pits around $250.

scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks