1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS, buyers BEWARE...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike Reeter, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Like the several thousand would-be SVS owners before me,I patiently awaited the arrival of MY new SVS sub.I agonized for weeks over which sub to buy and finally decided upon the PC-Ultra...

Well,when the sub finally arrived to its new home,I lugged that BIG box downstairs into our HT room,unpacked,set-up,calibrated,and popped in Finding Nemo,scene 25...Had AVR set at -10 db...

And that's when it happened...I had to immediately shut everything down and my wife had to run me out to the Emergency Room...the attending Physician had to sew six stitches in my chin...

This injury was a direct result of my jaw dropping and hitting the edge of the coffee table...Soo,buyers beware, these SVS subs can be dangerous to your health...

I can't give the technical review that the Ultra deserves,all I can say is "This Dog Will Hunt" My wife is even elated about the Ultra,and that is a compliment in itself...

2. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Mike, I've had my PC-Ultra for 2 weeks now....sorry you're had to wait!! But I didn't need to go to the hospital. I was too busy giggling when I heard the "sock explosion" scene from Monster's Inc!!

I am just very, very happy that this sub is so musical!! I listen to a lot of 2 channel on my Magnepan MG1.6's and Ultra combo. Had you ever heard a SVS before you bought the Ultra??

3. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Alan,No,I had never experienced an SVS first hand...I purchased solely from the rave reveiws from the various HT forums...With their return policy,I knew I could'nt go wrong...

I just can't get over how much the SVS has enhanced the sound quality of our entire system...I had never listened to good,tight,nondistorted bass,until now...I must say,I'm hooked!!!

4. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

I have never had a positive word from her about anything I ever did or ever bought in 35 years of HiFi. NOT ONE SINGLE KIND WORD! [​IMG]

But she loves the 16-46 PCi. She never stops talking about how much clearer everything now sounds. How many new instruments she can now hear that simply weren't there before. Fingers sliding on the electric bass strings excite her. The incredibly clear bass without a hint of boom or distortion. She sounds like a TV advert for SVS! Unbelievable! She didn't like the size of the thing when it arrived a few days ago. But that was forgotten the moment it started playing music. Not one negative word since! Grinning at each new musical discovery. Where will it all end?

I suppose I quite like the SVS myself. :wink:

ChrisBee

5. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Chris,Good to hear the WAF is in order at your house,mine has told me that the SVS is the best money we have spend on the HT in quite a while...

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

That's funny. and I'll dare say, there's a lot more chin-dropping injuries due to a first SVS listen!!! I've had my PC for a couple of years or more and love it so much, I don't even want to upgrade! I also bought mine simply due to the reviews here on HTF, sight unseen and never heard of!
    I can't imagine what one of the bigger/larger subs from them would do...... but I intend to find out after I build my HT room......

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Actually the first time I heard an SVS I had the breath knocked out of me literally. During the Monsters Inc trailer on the Toy Story dvds the door knocked and It was like I was kicked in the chest nearly.

8. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

My 20-39 PC+ came yesterday and Ill be setting it up today... Ill keep my chinstrap on...

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I feel bad for your neighbors Erik. They will think its another earthquake the first time you fire up the Darla scene in Finding Nemo.[​IMG]

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

They're deaf (literally) so they wont HEAR it.

Plus, there is enough space between our stucco encased homes that they shouldn't "feel" the bass...

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

OK... all set up... Paradigm Monitor 11s, CC370, Boston Dipole Surrounds, Boston Mini Rears, and the SVS 20-39+...

OH MY GOD!!!![​IMG]

12. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

The words are just hard to come by,aren't they Eric?

Especially when your mouth is conformed into one BIG grin...

13. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

OH GOD I CANT WAIT! YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!

14. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

So the wife and I watched nemo tonight... It was the first viewing for either of us...

WE BOTH approve!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. ChrisBee

It's very odd how the SVS bass doesn't carry outside the house on music. Even at a steady 100dB indoors on bass-heavy rock music it didn't sound as if much was happening when we went outside to check. While in the listening room it sounds as if the house is being demolished with a huge hammer! [​IMG]

ChisBee

16. Rogelio D

Rogelio D Agent

100db probably won't carry much outside most decently built houses.

Now get up to >115db and you'll probably notice something.

My neighbors dog barks like a banshee when the bass is thumping. The neighbors next to them have turned in my neighbors dog to the police on multiple occasions for violating noise ordinances.

Am I evil or what?

17. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

LOL. That is kinda evil. I just cant wait to scare the crap outa my cats! [​IMG]

18. ChrisBee

Leave a window open. Lets the cats escape if they want to and stops excess bass from building up indoors. You have neighbours from hell near you? I thought they all lived near me. :wink:

ChrisBee

19. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

My wife has been thinking about getting a cat. Never mind scaring it, I'm afraid it will mistake my 16-46PCi as the ultimate scratching post. Not to mention the inevitable attemt to climb my surround speaker stands.

Chris

20. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

We have a cat....and a SVS PC-Ultra....no problems so far!! I was really concerned several months ago when I brought in my new Magnepan MG1.6's. For those of you that don't know what the 'maggies' look like, they are 65" tall, 20" wide, and 2" thick planar speakers....covered from head to toe with grill cloth. I could just picture that cat clawing her way to the top!!

But she is a good kitty and hasn't even given them a second look!! I did crank my system up real good one time while she was in the room just to see her reaction....she doesn't even get close to them now!! [​IMG]