SVS Break In and Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richie-C, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Richie-C

Richie-C Agent

Hey guys I have a couple of questions for those of you with experience with the SVS sub. Just received my 20-39 plus and so far so good, but just have a couple of questions:
    1) Is there a break in period for the sub, if so how long?
    2) Can you place the sub right next to your other main speakers without causing any issues or distortion?
    3) Do you guys recommend using the additional foam that comes with the sub to get the really low frequencies?
    4) What is the current settings you use, I have my sub gain at around 70% and my receiver set at -7db.

Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I don't think that link to the other thread was a true apples to apples comparison to Richie's situation. The port plugs on the PC+ series are DESIGNED to be effectively used on this sub, if the user wishes alter the state of tune.

Installing one port plug and switching the SS filter to 16 Hz will effectively tune a 20-39 PC+ sub to 16 Hz.

Installing two port plugs and switching the SS filter to 12 Hz will effectively tune a 20-39 PC+ sub to 12 Hz.

There is a trade-off - installing a port plug to lower the tune of the sub will of course limit by a few dB the overall SPL the sub is capable of producing. Installing a second plug will further exacerbate this situation. Also, the lower the state of tune and the lower the SS filter is set, the higher the potential for bottoming the woofer at very high levels.

Since Richie is running 70%(!) gain at the sub, I'm assuming he has a pretty darn large room to fill and needs some serious SPL capability. In this case, I would recommend NOT installing the plugs and leaving the SS filter set at 20 Hz in order to take full advantage of every dB the sub has to offer and to avoid bottoming at very high sound pressure levels.

If you have a smaller room and are running the sub at less than 1/2 gain, installing a plug (or two) and upping a volume a bit (re-calibrate!) to compensate certainly couldn't hurt.

There are very few DVDs that have significant signal content below 20 Hz, but they do exist. If you are playing such a DVD, you can always tune the sub lower and then go back to the "stock" state of tune afterwards.

Ed Mullen

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ritchie,
    You are already getting lots of great advice, but it's probably worth adding one very important consideration that is often over looked...
    The bass settings on your subwoofer, and your amp mean nothing by themselves.
    Well, ALMOST nothing. As your user manual indicates (yes, I know... real men/women don't NEED manuals ;^), there is really one ONE set of numbers/settins that means much, and that's the reading on a sound meter when you play your receiver test tones, or far better, a test disk like Video Essentials or Avia. (If you already did this, then disregard the pointers here, I just want to make sure lurkers know the score too.)
    The amount of voltage leaving your subwoofer jack of your receiver can vastly vary from another model, or even a different run of the SAME model (OEM's make running changes all the time!).
    And needless to say (I'll say it anyway ;^) EVERY room is going to be different from the next. Different shapes, sizes, decor, it all matters.
    We generally recommend you run the output level of your receiver's subwoofer control at 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom to start, and then you use the subwoofers gain knob to get the correct measured calibration on the sound pressure level (SPL) using that test tone.
    Anything else is pure guess work. If the sub sounds OK to you that's all that matters in the end, but getting a survey of how other folks have theirs set is probably going to do more harm than good for the accuracy of your setup.
    Get that Radio Shack sound meter out, your SVS manual and you will be an instant authority on setup, for your room and receiver anyway!
    If we could afford to give those sound meters away we would, they are CRITICAL to your setup and should be the sole means you use to get your system right. Even the opinions at SVS mean little when compared to the objective and brutal honesty provided by the little needle on that $38 piece of "must have" test gear.
    Ron