1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS bottoming and crossover frequency?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Lee, Nov 18, 2001.

1. William Lee

William Lee Agent

Hiya, after getting everything calibrated, i've decided to move the sub around the room to try to gain maximum performance. I have a rather large living room, about 1000 sq feet, in an octagonal shape. The ceiling goes from 8 feet and slopes up to 14 feet at the peak. I've found a decent spot for the sub, however, I've noticed that its bottoming out a bit more than where it used to be. On my Denon 3802, i have the sub set to about 90% volume level, and I have the DB set to a -12 on a -12 to 12 adjustment. I am referring to Toy Story 2's opening, and it just seems to pop no matter what I do. Is there something to do with the crossover frequency i have set at 100 on my Denon? any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
    Thanks!
    Will

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Toy Story II's opening sequence is a known sub killer.
    Did you re-calibrate after moving the sub?
    Xover point should not affect this.
    Pete
    ------------------

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    William,
    Forget this business of moving the sub around the room looking for that “magic spot.” The best you can hope to end up with is response characteristics you can live with, at the expense of limited output and extension.
    Do yourself a favor: Get a parametric equalizer and put the sub in a corner. You can expect to have a response peak or two, but you can easily tame them with the equalizer. Then you can have it all: the smoothest response, the highest SPL, and the lowest extension.
    But even at that, your room is pretty large. 1000 sq. ft. with the cathedral ceiling puts your listening space at well over 8000 cubic ft. (does this include any rooms that open to the HT room, like the dining room, entryway, kitchen, etc.?). This is too big for a single sub, unless it is MUNDO. And the octagonal shape will minimize the benefits of corner loading.
    I’d start with the EQ, and if you still have problems, look at getting either a different, bigger sub, or another matching one.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on November 18, 2001 at 05:01 PM]

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I agree with Wayne!
    A single sub is too small for that room.
    You are a good candidate for the upcoming SS Ultra package, from SVS if you can swing it.That comes with the Parametric EQ as well if I'm not mistaken.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

William,
    That's maybe the hardest the 10 min. in DVD bass. I also noticed you didn't mention anything at all about your calibration level. Have you validated with a SPL meter your settings? If you can bottom an SVS it's already loud, and with your obvious taste for powerful bass dual subs, or very carefull calibration is key.
    If you are running that demo at high levels try it with your sub at the same calibration level as your mains for now. Also, as we indicate in the manual, it's a very good idea to NOT peg your receiver's subwoofer level control at the lowest level. Turn the receiver sub level to -6db so you have some quick and easy downward adjustment from your remote. You might need to turn your sub down some but that's ok.
    Please keep us posted with your progress (e-mail is quickest but things are going here now, take your pick) .
    In the end, no matter how you calibrate, if you have less clean bass than you like (no way you are going to hit ref. levels in that room with one sub though) consider a second sub like you have or (if space is an issue) consider upgrading to a CS Ultra.
    Ron

6. William Lee

William Lee Agent

thanks guys for the tips! The sub level is calibrated not hot at all, but a norm 85 db from avia. I'm seriously considering a second sub. However, the opening of toy story 2 is such a killer. I am so happy with my 16-46PC in all other cases, but i'll let you guys know!

Thanks again!

Will

7. William Lee

William Lee Agent

btw, anyone have a link to a good nice and cheap parametric equalizer? Unfortunately, I don't think a second sub is within my budget, but we'll see what we can do with a cheap equalizer.

Thanks again!

Will

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is the cheapest parametric on the market. However, it is a digital model with a steeper learning curve compared to analog models. One on the members here, Steve Morgan, recently located a BFD at a good price (well under $200, I think). E-mail me at [email protected] and I will put you in touch with him.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt