SVS Bottom plates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything special about the plate that the woofer fires at in SVS subs? Im asking because I have a downfireing EBS Shiva in a carpeted room, and maybe I should make something like that to help out the bass? I dont have spikes or anything right now, just 4" wood feet to elevate it above ground.

Thanks.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

SVS uses a distance (it's a secret [​IMG]) that's designed to reinforce certain frequencies, as a function of resistively loading the output of the driver.

Other than that the plate is just a piece of MDF.....

Carpet will absorb some of the output from the sub. If you need higher output there would a minimal advantage from using a plate. If you don't need additional output then don't bother.

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

More output is always a good thing [​IMG]

How much more output are we talking about here? I would only do it if its worth the trouble.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

TV of SVS used to be a frequent flyer on this forum before he started SVS. He once posted about experimenting with differing distances between the bottom plates. But he wouldn't give specifics.

My feeling is that the output differences aren't enough to justify adding a plate.

Of course if one was interested an adjustable height plate could be added and measurements of the output levels could be done. That of course is more work than most people are willing to do.