1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS Bass Boost?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Zimmer, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Ron and Tom, I'm sort of mystified about the various controls and whatnot on my new 16-PC46, and the manual isn't terribly helpful. In particular, what is the purpose of the +3dB and +6dB bass boost switch? When would someone want to use this?
    Really, may I suggest that for the PCs that you include in the manual a more in-depth discussion of what all these things are and what they're used for. The present description is pretty scanty and seems to assume that we already know all about them (not all of us do).
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The 3dB boost is centered at 30hz...and should only be used if you intend to listen to the subwoofer at low/moderate volume levels. Think of it as a souped up *loudness* button.
    TV

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mark,
    In case anyone doesn't know what we do say about this. From the manual:
    -------------------------
    Bass Boost. Your Powered Cylinder is tuned “flat” so that no bass boost is needed to get it’s full natural extension. Still, you might find the +3dB or +6dB “bump” (centered on the 30Hz range) sounds good. This may be especially true if you listen to movies at a relatively low level. Be advised that such a boost can significantly lower available amp head-room. If you like to push your system to reference levels (loud!) we recommend running a 0dB boost.
    --------------------------------
    Thanks for the personal feedback anyway. We take e-mails on these issues too BTW. We'd give you LOTS more with a note to our offices, but the 90% user doesn't care apparently. Of the many hundreds of PC subs sent out so far the above info was enough, till today. If we expand the manual sometime we'll pump up that section.
    Ron

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

It must be remembered that the amps in the PC cylinders were not specifically designed for the SVS units- they are German sub plate amps. That bass boost switch might be appropriate to use in another sub, particularly a sealed design that might be rolling off around 30 Hz. The SV's don't roll off until under their tuning frequency. As Ron said, maybe use it to intentionally increase deep bass when listening at low volume. Under rare conditions, a room may have a suckout at 30 Hz whereby activating the boost could flatten the FR curve. Other than this, it should just be left at 0 db and forgotten about.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I guess my point was, what does a bump at 30hz mean? I presume from 'centered' that there is some kind of slope? If so, how big a spread does it cover--28-32hz? more? less? Does room size make a difference? I'm dealing with about 3400 cu. ft. of room, but I don't play material at reference levels. What demo material might I try to see whether I like it at +3dB or +6dB? I'm not sure exactly what 30hz ought to sound like so it's hard to know what I should be listening for in checking this out. One of the reasons I went with a PC was that I'm not terribly interested in tweaking like mad (too many DVDs to watch). So maybe I should just ignore all these buttons completely.....
    Sorry for posting it here rather than a private email, but I thought this might be something of more general interest seeing how people are so interested in SVS subs, and I knew you guys hang out here. [​IMG]
    I'm certainly happy with my 16PC-46, though. I'm just interested in getting the most out of it that I can, within reason. I didn't mean to come off as critical, and was just trying desperately not to come off as completely stupid (which wasn't apparently quite successful, but oh well). [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    [Edited last by Mark Zimmer on November 15, 2001 at 04:38 PM]