SVS B4 review on Secrets

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PaulT, Sep 22, 2003.

1. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Paul,

That was good reading [​IMG]

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I agree with Dan but mine was more like [​IMG]

5. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

Uh, so what is (was?) the difference between this "B4" and the current "B4 Plus"?

BTW, Ron said that we will see some PB-2+ printed reviews soon... Any news on that?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Um, has anyone used the bass pumping out of the ports to dry their hair yet ?? Even the insides of the chamber is finished off with the grained wood. Nice touch ... such a beauty.

7. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

damn, link didn't work[​IMG]

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sheldon:

Works for me.

Parker

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Doc Johnson really knows his stuff and puts a sub through its paces. I wish I had 1/10 of his testing gear.

But I really do feel like he made an error in judgement by testing the B4 at 15 Hz with all ports open.

The sub has variable tuning for a reason, and feeding it a 15 Hz signal with all ports open was not really envisioned by the designer.

While I have not seen an anechoic FR sweep, I would imagine the B4 is probably 10 dB down at 15 Hz with all ports open as compared to the 25 Hz level. It would therefore require 10 TIMES the power input at 15 Hz to achieve the same SPL at 25 Hz.

Plugging two ports would have lowered the enclosure tune to about 16 Hz, provided better woofer control, and substantially reduced the amount of power input required to achieve 100 dB at 15 Hz. THD would have accordingly been considerably lower.

Otherwise a great review, and the 100 dB THD readings at all other frequencies within the intended operating range of the sub with all ports open are extraordinarily low. And remember, these THD readings are taken OUTSIDE with NO boundary effects and room gain.

The SPL he generated at higher frequencies at 1 meter outside at full power is staggering - in the 120+ dB region. Like he said, with boundary effects and room gain you are looking at 130 dB+ in a typical room and that's with 1500 watts of Crown power; the B4 can take even a bit more - very impressive.

Regards,

Ed

10. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

All,

Dealers of some kind have always been a possibility but there are no hard near-term efforts "in the bag" so to speak.

The sub Dr. Johnson tested was one of the original B4-Plus subs (our photo sample as a matter of fact). There was a bit of confusion on the article title but there is only the B4-Plus, no "B4".

And yes, there is going to be a PB2-Plus reiew published in Wide Screen Review in the November issue I believe. You have to hit the newstands or subscribe to it to get more info than that until it's on the streets I'm afraid.

There's also due a European mag review of the PB1-ISD very soon and web-based reviews of both the PB2-Plus and a PC-Plus by tech editors at Home Theater Spot, but I'm not sure how soon (could be any day). The PB2-Plus review has the prospect of the some comparisons to some rather pricey competition but you'll have to bug Kris Deering about that ;^)

Hope that clears a few things up for ya'll.

Ron Stimpson

11. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Ron,

would you guys be able to keep prices so low if you started to sell through dealers? Most of us in "the know" could care less about auditioning svs subs (other than the fun involved) at a dealer to see if they are the real deal because we already know how good these subs are, and your descriptions of how your subs perform are either understated or dead on. Plus, it seems that demoing a sub at a store can be very different than in you own home.

I'm sure you would do your best to keep up the high standard of customer service, but the price would have to go up at least a little bit wouldn't it?

btw, the link works for me now[​IMG]

12. Ron Stimpson

Sheldon,

If anyone was ever a "dealer" for SVS products it'd be highly unlikely to affect the prices of anything on our site today.

We didn't become the most talked about subwoofer OEM on the INTERNET by forgetting the demographic that put us there. ;^)

We've bent various "retail" rules, and practically re-wrote the book in some other regards. You can expect us to remain at the top of the price/performance contests for some time I think.

Ron

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Is SVS based out of Colorado Springs?

14. Ron Stimpson

Joe,

No. We're incorporated in Ohio. My office (Sales and Marketing) is in Colorado Springs. We have other offices in Michigan, Virginia and suppliers all over the place.

Ron

15. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Dont mean to be ignorant, but who is Kris Deering we should bug about comparison tests?

16. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Kris is a reviewer for Secrets of HT and Hi-Fi. I believe he typically hangs out over at the HT Spot and occasionally AVS.

17. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

18. JohnPaulJ

JohnPaulJ Extra

Do you see an IPO in your future?

19. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Kris is a great guy and primarily moderates the forum over at www.hometheaterspot.com forums.

He and Paul (owner of the board I believe) seem to really like SVS subs. Paul recently reviewed the SVS SS ultras.

Scott