SVS - Any problems with the website known?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AxelKro, Jan 18, 2004.

1. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Folks,

I can't access the SVS website since a few days.
    For an Internet based company, this is a major problem, which I would expect to get solved within minutes.
    But the problem exists now since a few days.

Does anyone has more input, why their page is still down?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I've been there a few times over the last few days and it works fine. I would presume the problem is somewhere on your end?

Granted, if the website is being updated, parts of it might be inaccessible for a while, but the site certainly has been up and running, as I'm sure others will attest.

Maybe you should purge your cache and/or any old site cookies and/or refresh the site link.

3. AxelKro

Hi Ed,
    thanks for the quick response.
    That is really odd, as I tried all you mentioned already.

OK, then I'll carry on trying...

Regards,
    Axel

4. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

No problems here either. been on there site at least once a day for the past 5.

5. AxelKro

OK, I tried a different computer now.
    There it works. Thanks Folks.

I'm a bit puzzled what can be wrong with my IE to stop connecting me to a specific site??
    Everything else seems to work fine...

If my wife would be able to modify the firewall, I would have the answer [​IMG], but it's too late, the PB1-Plus'es are ordered anyway.

Cheers,
    Axel

6. Edward J M

Ha! Yeah, your wife secretly closed the hole in the firewall for that URL. [​IMG]

Dual PB1+'s - wow that'll be some bass! Congrats, and I hope you get your PC problems ironed out. [​IMG]

Ed

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

That will be an awsome set-up! Just curious why you went with two PB1's instead of a PB2+?

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Congratulations AxelKro. I remember your prior Thread. Your going to have a sub on each end of the couch if I recall correctly? Sounds good.

Welcome to the CUL.. I mean welcome to the SVS experience. [​IMG]

9. AxelKro

Hi,

at first, it look like the suspect is my Internet provider.
    The direkt connect via the IP address http://64.66.138.220 does work. So far, so good.

@terence

The PB2+ does have the disadvantage of the huge size. The height lowers the WAF of my W too much.
    The PB1+ series were announced to be much lower (just about the height of our side tables beside the couch, now they raised it again [​IMG] but it's still lower than the PB2+.

I already had just one subwoofer and always hated the bang-boom-bang, coming just from one side. It was noticeable, as the sub has to live directly beside the listening position.

With two subs, the sound centers again in the middle (at least for me [​IMG]) of the couch. I tried this with an M&K 350 THX, but returned it to get two SVS instead (nearly same price [​IMG], more fun)

Regards,
    Axel

10. AxelKro

@ ed

Just read, you are going to upgrade towards the PB2-U.

By looking at the size of my PB1-Plus, it MUST be possible to fit the Ultra driver in there as well. [​IMG]
    I was waiting quite a while as I thought I would keep my previous Sub and buy the PC-U in addition. Then I changed that idea to get two PB1+ instead.
    I have never heard any SVS, though I am curious whether the difference would pay out. My listening session at reference level are very seldom due to the kids, sleeping close to the main living room (just one wall between them).

I think a PB1-U will come soon. Ron & Tom might have wanted to limit the news somewhat to focus production.

Cheers,
    Axel

11. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Just an idea. You could take off the base plate and put it on it's side to shorten it or make the footpring smaller, etc. I did that with my PB2+ and it will not affect sub performance, besides typical positing effects.

12. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Their site is more reliable than Paradigm's - thats impressive.

Any of the Harman sites (JBL, Infinity, etc.) seem to be very reliable, but for little SVS to be working like it has is awesome.

13. AxelKro

Hi Wayne,
    that would set the WAF to Zero.
    Don't forget, they will sit in our living room! It doesn't go dark there [​IMG]
    With the nice wood enclosure, they shall become "members of the family", not just black boxes [​IMG]

If the question comes up, I may consider to take the baseplate off but leave them upright. Let's see what my wife has to complain (if so) at first.

14. Edward J M

Axel:

With dual PB1+, I seriously doubt you will ever have a need for more SPL. And you've got the wood finish and the PEQ, so it boils down to just the driver upgrade itself.

The TV-12 driver in the Ultra and SS subwoofers represents the ultimate in design technology that TC-Sounds and SVS currently offer in a woofer. It is considerably more expensive than the still excellent dB-12 Plus driver. This is a perfect example of the law of diminishing returns: The Plus driver offers about 85% of the performance of the Ultra driver (in terms of SPL capability, power handling, distortion, etc.) for about half the cost.

You can be the final judge of course, but in your case, I would probably recommend against the upgrade from the PB1+ to the PB1-Ultra purely for the driver alone. The improvements, while audible under certain circumstances, will be minor by any definition. It is definitely not like a night/day difference between the two.

Regards,

Ed

15. AxelKro

Thanks, Ed,

that would save some money [​IMG]

But why are you then upgrading from a PB2+ to a PB2-U?
    Just for the Equalizer feature? Or the wooden enclosure?
    Were the drivers not relevant for your decision?

Ax

16. Edward J M

Yes, the drivers are relevant, but the drivers alone would not be enough to push me over the edge on an upgrade.

Truth be told if I owned a wood finish PB2+ with the PEQ, I'd probably stand pat.

It's the combination of all three features that set apart the PB2-Ultra enough to warrant an upgrade, IMO.

YMMV and if you want to upgrade to a PB1-U (whenever they offer it) certainly feel free to take full advantage of the 45 day trial period and decide for yourself. [​IMG]

17. AxelKro

Hi Ed,

yeah, it may be a good thing within the USA, but this trial period is a rather expensive exercise out of Germany. Shipment and customs/taxes add 30-40 % on top of the net selling price from the SVS pricelist!

I think, I'll gonna stay with them and enjoy them for the next years to come.
    Funny, how time doesn't fly any more since I placed the order ... [​IMG]

18. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

I think Ed gets his SVS stuff for free! [​IMG]

19. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Eh, I personally would upgrade if the marginal cost for the upgrade was worth it. That and if the upgrade was close by so I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping for it...

Then my current cylinder could get cycled back into the Hifi realm.

20. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Ax,

Another thing to keep in mind is that you said the PB1+ enclosure is a bit too large. If the PB1U turns out to be anything like the PB2U, the enclosure will be even larger than the PB1+. I don't know that for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-Robb