What's new

SVS and wife - help! (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I'll be ordering an SVS 20-39CS tomorrow morning and am really excited about it. I've been reading lots and lots of reviews online, and have been sharing quite a few choice quotes with my wife Lisa (unfortunately for Lisa, her computer is in the same room as mine). Just about everything out of my mouth the last few days involves bass, SVS, Avia, SPL, blah blah blah. She is ready to kill me, and has said as much. But that's just part of the problem. At first my wife was excited too, but the more I read to her the more she seemed worried. I guess I kind of brought this on myself: statements like "blurred vision", "paintings falling", "house shaking", "kicked in the chest" bring a huge smile to my face, but they seem to have the exact opposite effect on Lisa. At first I thought she was kidding, but now I know that she really is worried.
My question is, what kinds of things can I do to "lock down" the house in preparation for the sub? We have lots of paintings of all sizes and some heavy wall freezes that "WILL NOT BE COMING DOWN OR MOVED". What can I do to keep things where they are, and what are some common sources of rattles (and how do I correct them?). I know once she hears it she will love it, but not if the house is falling down around her. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
BTW, the pre-sales support has lived up to all the glowing comments I've read. I'm sure SVS is very busy right now, but Tom has responded quickly to all of my emails and has been extremely helpful. I never thought I'd feel so confident about buying a speaker without hearing it!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As long as you're not going to be running the sub at gutbusting levels, the painting thing shouldn't be that big a concern. I've had my 16-46PC for over a month now and it hasn't knocked any pictures down or even visibly rattled them. It does, on occasion, make me queasy, though. The last one to do that was the DTS logo on the Bram Stoker's Dracula Superbits. Whoa, glad that doesn't last long, or I'd have tossed my cookies. :) I think a lot of the talk about structural damage is hyperbole. Now, if you're going to be playing over reference levels while running the sub 10dB hot, all bets are off. :D
I would just make sure the trial run is done when the wife is out; put on Phantom Menace or The Haunting and run bass-intensive sequences in a loop as you hunt for anything around the house rattling and vibrating. The only problem I detected when I did that was a doorknob, so I just keep that door closed at movie time. It wouldn't hurt to get a supply of Blu-Tack if you've got a lot of knickknacks on shelves, just to avoid unfortunate incidents.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
John- I think that a lot of the "warning" comments you mention are somewhat exaggerated. I have a 20-39PC, and although it is certainly capable of very deep bass, I have yet to experience any blurred vision; nothing has come crashing down from the walls; none of my cats has vomited, etc. I'm sure all of these things are possible if you have your bass turned way up or if you listen at very high volume levels, but they're not likely to happen if you have your bass levels properly calibrated and listen at reasonable volume levels. I've not yet even heard any unwanted vibrations coming from anywhere in my house. Again, I tend to listen at reasonable volume levels and probably have never even approached reference level, but I've not had a single problem caused by my SVS.

So enjoy the accurate, deep bass that the SVS can produce, and don't worry too much about things flying off the walls. You shouldn't have any difficulty unless you juice up the bass or the volume.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Some of that talk is real. Some is just illustrative of the sorts of emotions folks enjoy when they discover the secrets of clean, low and powerful bass. Really few people have experienced it, and frankly, usually, it's far more subtle and revealing than the descriptions would have you believe. What was "boomy" and distorted is now clear. What was never heard before is now heard, and felt.

But you certainly do NOT need to fear for your house, your life, or your wife. A common calibration level (say a few dBs over your mains using a common sound meter and some test tones, done in about 5 minutes) will yield a movie watching experience as good as, and usually better than a movie theater. Good clean bass often times in the past was very expensive, or simply imagined and not really produced. An SVS, along with a select few other subs can do that at a price mere mortals can afford.

Get the sub (or at least "A" good sub, doesn't need to be an SVS, it's just one brand on that very short list) and set it up in an unobtrusive corner if you can. Find a list of movies you and the wife have enjoyed and spin up some demos, and maybe watch something all the way thru that she likes. It IS best if you can do all the level checking and high volume check outs with her out of the house usually, before hand.

After that, maybe a bit of felt stick on pads under a picture or two, some caulk around a window pane maybe and you are there. You will NOT have fuzzy vision, nausia, or other ill effects unless you have a smallish room and/or you pack it with far more woofer power than you need (say twin CS-Ultras in a 10x13' room like I have) and then proceed to calibrate them very high (relative to your main speakers) AND run your system at high levels too.

You do NOT need to crank your SVS to super high levels to enjoy the neutral and clean sound they are capable of. Certainly high level bass is what we strive to support, but not at the expense of excellent fidelity down low too.

I'll wager right now that after a few demos of some movies with bass your wife might like (Haunting? Toy Story 2?, Unbreakable? Titanic? there are a ton of them), SHE will be turning to you with a suprised grin on her face and say "wow, this IS better than the theater".

If not, we'll insist you send it back (if you can bear to part with them yourself).

Ron

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the excellent comments, they really did do the trick. I'm pretty sure that I'm out of the doghouse now, so look for my order in the morning, Ron! :D

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Ditto what everybody else said. You will definitly be blown away by the bass you hear and feel, but your house won't be. :)
David Giles

Paul Seward

Agent
I know what you mean John. My wife, just this past weekend gave me the greenlight on my new SVS as a Christmas gift. So an order went in for my new 20-39pc last tues. night and I am jumping with anticipation!
Although, I have restrained myself from touting the great marketing lines and reviews of the SVS to her for fear that she will not allow this purchase. You know, come to think about it maybe that is a marketing concept.
Picture a photo shot with a fish eye lenz looking at a SVS from a worms perspective
"Forget about demoing the SV Sub... Your wife will never let it back in the house " :)
Anyway, I can barely stand the wait for the shipping email message.
Paul

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had my 20-39PC for several months now and it just keeps getting better. I run mine in pretty hard and bottomed often until I actually followed the instructions by Tom and set it up properly! I just can't imagine what it would be like to have two of them or an Ultra although I am sure to upgrade soon, maybe to a CS plus..... thank goodness I don't have to have SO approval since she loves the added dimension of the sub too.

You are gonna find the SVS to be very different from the subs you may have had. I've had subs before and thought they were great but the SVS is gonna take you to a new level.... lower and louder. Yes your walls, doors, windows may well shake but what a smile you'll have when they do!

Yall enjoy... cause it is gonna be good..........

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The SVS sound is actually smoother, less-boomy than many other subs. This caused quite a concern as people got them and did not hear the "boom" they were used to from their old sub.

One poster said that laying the SVS on it's side, letting his wife straddle the cylinder and playing bass-heavy tracks helped make the SVS welcome in his home. We asked him to post a picture of his setup, but for some reason he declined.:b

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Yes, you are going to enjoy the SVS....BUT, there are several preperations you can do before the stork arrives with your new baby.

I, too, have paintings and art on the wall. Some are high quality, some not. If you have some pieces (of art) that are not professionally framed, or they have real glass frames that are loose (against wood), use blue tack to stop the rattle. If you walk around next to each wall, stomp your foot hard and hear a rattle, it's an area to prep for the SVS. If all of your framing is done professionally, generally with plastic, plexi, or glass that is secured well to the wood...you shouldn't have any problems. Also, the corner that you put your SVS in shouldn't have any shelves with trinkets above it.

Enjoy the bass,

Jer

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
One poster said that laying the SVS on it's side, letting his wife straddle the cylinder and playing bass-heavy tracks helped make the SVS welcome in his home. We asked him to post a picture of his setup, but for some reason he declined.
I'm always impressed with the creativity of fellow HTF'ers. The idea quoted above could lead to a new marketing slogan for SVS..."SVS - the subwoofer that's fun for the whole family!"

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Reading so many great things about SVS subs have helped me to figure out what to upgrade next in my system. Now, which one to get for a 12' x 18' x 9' room??? Presently, I must say that I'm particularly fond of the 16-46 and it's 16 Hz tuning point.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Scott's post followed by Ron's location gave me a kick in the pants... or did my neighbor just get a SVS.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
John are you me? I to am about to get an SVS and my wife's name is Lisa. Weird! She too has some of the same concerns. Although it is not as bad as your wife. I have not told her all of those things lol!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Reading so many great things about SVS subs have helped me to figure out what to upgrade next in my system. Now, which one to get for a 12' x 18' x 9' room??? Presently, I must say that I'm particularly fond of the 16-46 and it's 16 Hz tuning point.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I've only had problems with one movie, Titan A.E., where the bass was just too much for my tastes. I was constantly looking for loose objects that were vibrating. Every other movie I've watched the sub augments the movie perfectly. :emoji_thumbsup:
Jon

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the great replies, comments and suggestions. I've really enjoyed reading all of them.
John Morris,
I don't understand what you mean by "what was my question". Re-read my post and look for the line that says "My question is..." :) To answer your question: yes, I ordered my 20-39CS on Friday morning! :D
I'd also like to mention to Brian (and anyone else who is considering a new sub) that SVS's service is better than any company I've ever dealt with. I'm not kidding. I have emailed Tom and Ron quite a lot over the last few days and I always receive quick, courteous and professional replies. I emailed Ron yesterday evening and got his reply at almost 11:00 PM. 11:00 PM! I've never dealt with a company like this before, and couldn't be more pleased. About the only thing I can suggest is "SVS, please go public!". :)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Easy solution:

Go rent or buy Private Parts and Earthquake.

Watch Howard's "special" use of a speaker system, THEN put on Earthquake. I think the issue becomes moot!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I'd also like to mention to Brian (and anyone else who is considering a new sub) that SVS's service is better than any company I've ever dealt with. I'm not kidding. I have emailed Tom and Ron quite a lot over the last few days and I always receive quick, courteous and professional replies. I emailed Ron yesterday evening and got his reply at almost 11:00 PM. 11:00 PM! I've never dealt with a company like this before, and couldn't be more pleased. About the only thing I can suggest is "SVS, please go public!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks