SVS and THX setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_Z, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Doug_Z

Doug_Z Agent

My single Ultra is on it's way and in anticipation of setting it up I was reviewing my Pioneer elite 49tx manual.The sub will be placed in the corner.
    The manual says "room boundaries may increase perceived acoustics levels at low frequencies....The purpose of this feature is to compensate for excessive bass resulting from boundary gain effect.This feature is designed to operate with a subwoofer certified to THX Ultra 2 specifications. If not used with a THX certified Ultra 2 subwoofer this feature will not operate correctly and it's operation may be unpredictable"
    You can then choose "THX Ultra 2 subwoofer-yes" or No.I know the Ultra meets and exceeds Ultra 2 specs which I think are 3db at 20Hz.Of course it's not Thx cetified and I thank SVS for that since they meet the specs and don't pay for the certification so they can keep the price relatively low!
    My question is what do most people with THX Ultra 2 receivers or processors and SVS Subs that meet Ultra 2 specs do with the boundary gain compensation feature? Do you turn it On or Off.Or is there something other than the specs which makes this feature work with Ultra 2 Subs. [​IMG] Thank you

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

There's no way that the boundary on/off feature could know what frequencies to attenuate to correct the response. You may have a peak at 30/35/40/45/50 etc etc. Measure your sub's response and use the spreadsheet in the DIY+Advanced forum area posted by Chris Tsutui.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Isn't the THX way where it rolls off below a certain frequency?? You might be able to find some more info on that spec, but I think that's what it means. If you want to feel those subsonic rumblings, better leave the THX business off.