SVS and the real theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I got my SVS 20-39 and I am real happy with it. The bass is awesome even in my room that is 20x18 with 12 foot ceilings. I went to see Lord of the rings today and I liked the movie. Althought the bass at my home is better than the bass in the theater. Also is there a big difference between VHS and DVD? I have Jurassic Park 3 and the bass is awesome! I pulled out a VHS copy of Jurassic Park 1 and there is not much bass at all. I remember reading where someone said the DTS version of Jurassic Park 1 was real good. Would the DTS version have that much more bass? Thanks!!!

2. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

What did you get the CS or the PC series? VSH tapes do not have DTS, that the reason you did not see the bass you expected. Get a DVD and you will have better bass Hz.

Enjoy your sub.

3. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I got the cs. I really did not think it was much of a choice. The cs is only $50 more and comes with a 700 watt amp. Thanks for the response.

4. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I agree that the bass on VHS just can't compare to DVD. On many disks DTS has the best bass compared to Dolby Digital. There are many disagreements on this and other forums as to why this is or if it is just imagined. In any case the bass on VHS doesn't compare. I ended up getting the DVD version of all the Jurasic Park movies for that very reason.. [​IMG]

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I love DTS as much as the next guy but I have to point out that one of the most intense soundtracks for bass is The Phantom Menace. That's a Dolby Digital EX track and a sub killer.

Congrats on the SVS.

6. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

this isn't a DD vs DTS issue at all as some seem to be implying - it's just that DD and DTS, both being 5.1 formats, have dedicated subwoofer channels. Of course DD and DTS are digital formats, so you need DVD (or LD) to use them.

7. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

What I really meant to say was that the vhs tape does not have much bass. Would the DVD one have more?

8. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the DVD will, without a doubt, have MUCH more bass.

9. Michael St. Clair

VHS Hi-Fi can have astounding bass. In fact, the Hi-Fi track of a VHS tape is practically CD quality in terms of frequency response and dynamic range.
    That said, many commercially duplicated tapes have poorly tracked audio, and many decks in consumer homes are mis-aligned, and the end result is that most consumers have no idea what proper VHS Hi-Fi bass can even sound like.

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>this isn't a DD vs DTS issue at all as some seem to be implying - it's just that DD and DTS, both being 5.1 formats, have dedicated subwoofer channels. Of course DD and DTS are digital formats, so you need DVD (or LD) to use them.