What's new

SVS and Paradigm PS-1000 (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

What model of SVS can be compared to Paradigm PS-1000? Has anyone compared the two? Right now, I have only heard PS-1000 and it seems good to me. And also, the store is giving it to me for $400.

Please give me advice since I am reading tons of praises on SV subs. :)

Neil

WayneO

Supporting Actor
IMO there isn't a sub SVS makes that can stoop down to the PS-1000's level. The cheapest SVS will run you about $575 shipped and so it is an unfair comparison because of different price points. The performance of a PS-1000 won't get close to matching any SVS but if the 'Digm is sufficient for you, then don't worry about it. At $400 I'd be tempted to order the Hsu STF-2 instead, but again, you've heard what you like in the PS stay with it, Paradigm makes good products for the money.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
$575 is not too bad for me. I can stretch as that much. :) But I am worried since I haven't heard it. I am just depending on every praises to it.

Let me know.

Btw, where are you at in Chicago?

Neil

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Btw, I just stopped reading reviews on SVS and everything I read says it's AWESOME! It rocks! so on. :)

Anyways, what SVS model would match my paradigm speaker setup.

Atoms for fronts
CC-170 for center
ADP-170 for surrounds

or is SVS overkill for my speakers?

Thanks.

Neil

Jonathan_E

Agent
I'm also interested in some recommendations. I have been building my paradigm set up since last summer, and I was looking to add the sub next, possibly the PS-1000 or PS-1200.

Here's my current set-up in a 14'x16' room.

Denon 3803 (receiver)
Paradigm Monitor 7's
Paradigm CC-370
-cheap sonys for surrrounds - will be replaced later by Paradigm mini monitors (most likely)
8 in, 100 watt sony sub - looking to replace

I must say that after reading around about the SVS Cyclinder subs, I'm curious if anyone has tried matching up a SVS with their paradigm speakers and what results they got. I'm also curious what SVS sub people would recommend for this set up. Price is not a huge issue at the moment, I'm more concerned with: will this keep me happy for the next 10 years, rather than how deep it will reach into my pocket, but I'd prefer to stay under $800.

Thanks for your help!
-Jonathan

Just another quick note: My room is in the basement, which means cement floors, I don't know if this would make a difference in the preference between a front firing or downward firing sub, but I'm interested in people's thoughts.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Getting the right sub has more to do with the room size and setting, and your listening preferences than what speakers you're using. With that said, first you can email SVS and give em all the details you can, they'll recommend the right sub for you.

Ronneil,

I live in Oak Forest on the south side. If you bought an SVS you do a 45 return period, and you would just be out shipping if you didn't like it, but that won't happen once you hear it. Everyone you read about being happy with their SVS probably felt similar as well before purchasing.

Jonathan,

The way I see it, get as much as you can afford. A PC+ would be a great fit for that room size to put out some great SPL, and fits right into your max budget. Most people get a 20-39 to get a balance of the slightly higher SPL of the 25-31 and the ability to go almost as low as the 16-46. I have Monitor 11's, 7's and a CC370 and the 20-39PC+ blended great with them, after calibration of course. I have a real leaky room with multiple openings, listening area alone slightly larger than yours, so I upgraded to a PB2+ to meet my demanding room and listening needs. The firing orientation of a sub shouldn't/doesn't make a difference in performance. Cement will not resonate as do floors made of wood, and will keep the sound more "true" to the source, though some like the fact that they can rattle the floors with their sub. Good luck choosing.

Jonathan_E

Agent
Thanks for the advice Wayne.

I'm curious, did you ever try the port plugs with your 20-39PC+? Since I've read most people keep their volume on their SVS subs turned down pretty low, I was curious if I could get a 25-31PC+ and use a port plug, then just increase the volume very slightly to essentially get the same effect as the 20-39PC+. That would save $50. I know it would cut down the headroom a little bit, but from what I've read, these subs have plenty of headroom.

-Jonathan

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I would go for the 20hz stock tune- you can then tune that to 16hz.

Do a search for "waterfall" from "mingl" that helped me consider which ported sub to buy- it shows how low some stuff goes. I know we can't get subs to reproduce really low stuff (5hz) but have cut-off somewhere. Lots of dvd's have ~20hz bass, so IMO the 25hz svs is not the wisest choice. If you want the higher output of the 25hz model- buy two 16hz or 20hz models.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I do concur that quite a number of movies have bass deeper than 20hz. Fact is that there will be more and more movies with deeper and deeper bass. Matrix Rev has a scene that has the machine city's voice going so deep that much of this voice would be going thru the sub.......... at least thats what I think ;)

With so much movies going lower and lower, subs will be asked to go deeper and deeper. It would be logically future proof to get subs that go as low as possible. Say hello to dual SVS 16-46s tuned to 12hz.

terence

Supporting Actor

I agree 110%! In Matrix Rev i saw it at IMAX and the bsaa was crazy and The Source voice did come mostly from the theaters sub and mid bass drivers. The last batch of DVD's released at the end of the year has bass that goes subsonic. The problem is you have to sit a good distance form the sub to benifit from really low bass and a lot of the future DVD's will force people to upgrade their subs.

WayneO

Supporting Actor

I think if you listen to sources at fairly large volumes but not excessive, I would get the 20-39PC+. It will perform a little better at 20hz than a plugged 25-31, which should cover about any source the average listener runs into if you chose to do that. But, if you want to set it up for the most bang once in awhile.....25-31. It'll still be great tuned at 20hz. I would hate to know I'm missing anything so I would have either at 20hz mode.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member

What makes you say this Terence? The reverse is actually true. All you can do is feel sub sonic bass and the louder it is the easier it is to feel. So the closer you are to a sub the more you will feel it as output drops off 6dB with every doubling of distance from the source.

Ronneil, IMO, the closest comparison between SVS and Paradigm would be the PW2200 to the SVS 25-31PCi.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the PW2200, and the Servo15 are comparable to the performance of the PCi 20-39. I own paradigm mini-monitors, and a PCi 20-39. The paradigm subs are quite nice, and definitely a bargain in the retail world. However, SVS is just very significantly cheaper. In Canada, however, because of shipping duties, and even lower prices on the digms, they are much more comparable.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I have paradigm atoms which is a lower end than what you have. Do you think that SVS will be overkill for my setup? What SVS model should I get if I am using Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver and would just be right for my existing speakers?

Btw, at the end of this year, I will be upgrading the Atoms to Paradigm Studio 20s and CC-470 centers but would keep the ADP-170 surround speakers.

I still want to get SVS :)

Thanks guys.

Ronneil

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Your room size and listening use matters more than your receiver and your speakers. Email SVS and tell them what your room and listening pref's are and they'll tell you. Of course your budget alone may dictate that, the cheapest SVS is $550, since you mentioned $400 up top. As long as the sub is calibrated to same level with your speakers it won't be overkill, it'll be perfect.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ronneil: Get the SVS, it will be GREAT with the reference series. If you only go half-way now, then you'll have great speakers, and a sub that would be *good*, but not up to snuff with the referece series. Just think "I'm getting a servo15 to match the reference line when I get those." Except for significanly less money.

:emoji_thumbsup:

FYI, as to your question of overkill, there are those who say there is no such thing. First, too much sub for the job is good to have. Too much anything really. It's good to have some extra headroom, but you shouldn't think that you have to USE all that headroom. Well calibrated, it should sound just like other good, comparable subs. It's only "overkill" if you turn it up too loud, and/or don't calibrate.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to note that I've poured over anything containing words on SVS in the last few weeks and I have not seen ONE bad review of SVS or their customer service. I have only even read of one instance of a SVS sub malfunctioning, and it was handled with excellent customer service. I may change my tune in two weeks once my sub arrives at home, but I seriously doubt it. I think when it gets down to it, SVS is a top calibur product with stand-up top calibur technical service. A priceless combination. Just in case there was ever any doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks