SVS and Maggie MMG

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gene HS, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Gene HS

Gene HS Auditioning

The practical side of me says to buy a Hsu VTF-2 (great reviews, smaller size, lower price). But there are too many good things said about SVS (I guess I would go for a 25-31 PCi) that it warrants serious consideration.

I listen to 70/30 music, is SVS fast enough to blend with my MMGs? Is there an overwhelming advantage to go with an SVS? Are both of these miles ahead of a Velodyne CHT-10?

Thanks!!

2. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

As a former owner of a Velodyne cht-10, I can guarantee that the velo is not even near of the SVS. This subs can´t be compared, it's a blow out. The SVS is much cleaner and much louder than the Velo.[​IMG]

3. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    What dipole subs would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

5. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

the MMG is so dynamically limited that if you set any good sub level such that its balanced with the MMG, it'll never get to its output limits. the MMGs will give out much before the sub will.

6. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jack,
    I would be interested in hearing one of those.

Gene HS
    You may also want to look at the Adire Rava. It is a very musical sub. I believe that it is priced about the same as the HSU VTF-2

Jerry

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The Rava is a really nice subwoofer, especially when you consider the asking price.

A bit more decor friendly than the SVS cylinder subs (sorry Tom and Ron), and would have a much nicer looking finish than the Hsu VTF-2 if that's a consideration.

I use a Rava in my 2nd system, which is in a living room, which isn't a dedicated theater room.

Either of these choices are good, but if aesthetics come into play the Rava wins hands down, and is $100 less to boot [​IMG]

Regards,

8. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Jack... any details on your dipole sub? I have seen plans for corner loaded dipoles... but have seen the Linkwitz recommendation that they be placed a minimum of 1m from a wall.

Thanks!

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hmm...hijack in progress. [​IMG] But, as it pertains to a dipole speaker...

10. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jack... to set the hijack right ;-), I have owned many maggies and used MMGs as surrounds (and played them on their own as well). My comments:

o maggie bass is divine. If you wanna rock the house, you may not be pleased.... but guitar driven rock (e.g. Lou Reed's New York... or even something like Neil Young's Country Home) can sound amazing with them.

o You may want to simply run without the sub for music... scandalous to some but sometimes you may not miss what isn't there and will appreciate what is.

Enjoy your maggies... they are great speakers... you may want to try the true ribbons one day though ;-)

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Agreed, Maggie bass is the best I've heard from a "full-range" speaker. I believe this is due to the dipole radiation rather than the planar transducers per se.
    The lack of integration and excitation of room modes by monopole subs lead some to eschew them for music (ostensibly more "critically-listened to" than flicks), but the inclusion of a dipole sub down to the lowest room mode preserves that quality down really deep. It frees the bass from the room in a way not possible with even the best eq...which really only helps in a small spot.

Here's an article on an inexpensive way to try a diple sub. I agree completely with his observations on the quality of the bass, and why some people/rooms benefit more than others.

http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/basscannon.html