SVS -- amp & wire routing question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Basham, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a SVS 16-46PC (self powered) sub yesterday, but after thinking about my wiring route, am wondering if I should have went with the Sampson Amp.

I'm going to have to run about 30 feet of wire to get from my stereo to the corner that I have to place the sub in. (I'm very limited on my placement options)

I was assured by the great guys at SVS that it's okay to run a low voltage RCA-type cable that far and I'm sure that's right. Well, after thinking about placement, it's come to my attention that I'm going to have to run the wire down through the wall along the same path as a 110 volt power cable.

My question is: Would I be less likely to get noticeable bleed through if I were running speaker wire already powered from an external amp than if I run the low voltage wire and to the sub and then have it amplified?

If that is worded crazy, let me put it this way, Considering my wire routing, should I call up Tom and have him ship me a external powered sub along with the Sampson amp instead of the PC sub?

If you have any other thoughts about the pros and cons of going with an external vs. self powered sub, I'd appreciate that too. ----- But hurry, they'll probably ship out tomorrow or the next day!

Oh, one more thing.. Is the 45-day satisfaction good for the amps that they sell as well?

Thanks guys!

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Scott,

You will be VERY pleased with this sub, but you do want a good quality RCA to RCA cable to run that far. Get one of our Better Cables interconnects and we guarantee that it'll be a good combo. We stock 12 meter which should be enough. Going the Samson/CS route is certainly viable, but it's really a wash in terms of setup. If you are thinking you might want to upgrade to twin subs then it DOES make sense to switch to the CS package.

And yes the 45 day policy applies to amps!

Ron

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Not that Ron needs anybody to agree with him on this (it's his sub isn't it?), but you should be fine with the setup you have on order. Just because you have an A/C run that's near your cables doesn't mean that you're going to have interferance....most likely you won't.

If it's possible, you might want to have a foot or so of space between those wires just as a buffer, but there really shouldn't be a problem if you use a good quality cable.

I have both types of run in my system, and they run within a foot or two of electrical wires. I've had no problem so far.

4. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

(I emailed Tom also, we should be covered as to what I want)

Based on you and Tom's experience, I'll just go with what I have ordered. I guess in the back of my mind I was just afraid the built-in amp would be lacking, but so far nobody thinks so and I should be able to do some creative routing to avoid interference.

Thanks again for your patience!!

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Scott,

The 200ish watts of the PC line might seem tame, but I'll bet you don't turn yours up more than 3/4ths before your house starts to come down. Properly calibrated, that is FAR more power than most folks need. The PC subs require no power-robbing equalization so it'll outperform a micro sub using kilowatts, guaranteed.

Let us know how you like it.

Ron