What's new

SVS 2531pci VS SVS2531PC+, worth it? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm at a crossroads. My B&W CDM9NT's will be here in 2 weeks. I will be needing a sub, no question. The ONLY sub that I can effectively hide is a 2531pci/pc+. It can go right behind a wingback chair, without sticking up or out. PERFECT. What a problem to have, stuck with an SVS! Has anyone replaced / compared a 2531 pci to a pc+?
Thanks!
Patrick

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My buddy has a 25-31PCi, and I have a 20-39PC+. It is not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but I can give you my impressions anyway.

The sonic signatures of SV subs are all pretty similar, and that is no mistake on SVS's part I'm sure. We have both listened to each other's subs extensively, and the general consensus is the PC+ sounds SLIGHTLY cleaner and more transparent than the PCi, probably due to the better driver. The two subs sound far more alike than different, though.

The real difference between the PCi and the PC+ will be how loud it can play. Expect the PC+ to outgun a like-sized PCi by 5-6 dB, especially below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, the difference is more like 3-4 dB.

You get the better driver, triple ports, a 4 position SS filter, an infinitely variable phase control, and a stronger amp with the PC+.

If you have a large room and like to play bass heavy DVDs at or near reference, then the PC+ is the ticket. If you are a little more sedate or have a smaller room, the PCi might be all you need.

I'll tell ya this - the 25-31PCi is no slouch - that sucker pounds with real authority, and represents a big step up from anything else in its price range. The PC+, however, simply has no peer in its price class.

Regards,

Ed Mullen

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Pat,

You can see with customers like Ed around, us SVS sales types are like "Maytag repairmen". He summed things up at least as well as I could. I'm sure there are others out there that have upgraded but his characterization is spot on.

It comes down to how big a space and how "big" you want your bass. If you are always being told to "turn that ^%($^@%$%)@# thing DOWN!" by a friend/wife/mom/neighbor then save yourself some cash and go with the PCi. It's more sub than 99% of the planet has already.

If you are king of your domain, and sometimes suffer from buyer's remorse ("what IF I had just spend another $200, would I be happier??"), then I can promise you will never regret going with the PC-Plus. Either sub can be a lease breaker. The PC-Plus can do that with ease, the PCi would take just a bit more effort ;^)

Ron

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
I too was deciding between a 25-31PCi and 25-31PC+ a little while ago.

I didn't want buyer's remorse and wanted the sub to last me *well* into the future. That said I went with the PC+ because I wanted the adjustable SS filter for flexibility and because of the raw POWER of the PC+ for whatever my future HT needs may throw at me.

I felt that both of these factors combined made it so in the foreseeable future I will not need to upgrade. It was also very nice to know that what is in my HT is the absolute *best* (IMHO) below a $2000 price range... and convincing my wife of a sub capable of more would be a big challenge indeed! If I ever do want to upgrade my upgrade path would simply be to add another PC+ for that *little* bit more. All of the above was WELL worth the $200 more in my mind!

Hope this helps some,

matthew

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Thanks for the replys. I NEVER have to turn it down! I don't have any neighbors within earshot (YET, LOL). My room is 40'L X 30'W. Ceramic Tile floors, 18' ceilings. The GOOD NEWS is that it's for sale! It's been one bear of a room to utilize. Throwing money at it actually seems to help! The actual listening area is 19'L X 15'W.
Here is a 360 of the Family Room, if it works.
http://media.homestore.com/HVP6GLDL.htm
I'm thinking of stashing it behind the Purple chair to the left of the fireplace. My Wife HATES BOXES, and has forbade me to get one. The 2531 is the only model I can swing.
My Yamaha RX-V1 has multiple sub connections as well.
http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/pane...V1/brxv1_5.htm
Maybe DUAL 2531pci's are more effective than 1 PC+?
If I was staying here, I may do that.
I DO suffer from buyers remorse on occasion!
Thanks!
Patrick

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that room is as big as my house :p) 21600ft^3, three times the size of Nousaines large listening room.
That will require some serious woofing. Dual PCi subs should be a little more capable than a single PC+ I think. But for your room I'd want dual PC+, maybe even 4 of them ;)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Big is a freakin understatement! This room is a sonic BLACK HOLE! I went ahead and ordered the CDM-CNT, along with the CDM-9NT's. I ordered the dark stained cherry, as my salesman told me they would look like the Nautilus 804's. WRONG. Same color, but a coarse grain versus DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL wood on the 804's. I'm switching to Black when they open the doors in the morning.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Looking at that 3D view again. Does the duct work for all those registers go into a crawl/attic type space above the rooms on the other side of the walls. If it does you might consider attempting an infinite baffel sub.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
Link Removed
Six of these will run you $660. Add a decent pro amp and EQ for a few hundred more and you could be all set (and there would be no box or tube in the room to bug the significant other).

Drew_G

Auditioning
I recently received a 25-31pc+ after having the 25-31pci for 7 months and being quite happy with it. My room is a large two-story area open on all sides. I did a lot of listening back and forth to see which one I wanted to keep.

Here is my fairly novice take on the pc+ vs pci issue:

I feel that once calibrated to the same level both subs are basically equal at the higher frequencies as far as sheer output. What the pc+ gives you is the tuneability to better tweak it to match your other speakers. The pc+ obviously can reach lower depending on how you decide to tune it and deliver more volume at the lowest levels. As one of the previous posts stated they thought the pc+ could deliver 3-4 db higher at above 30 and I wouldnt doubt it, I just didnt need anymore at those levels than the pci already gave me.

I picked out a couple snippets of songs and dvds that I played over and over again while looking at the Radio Shack meter. Again the main difference that I could tell is that I could tune the pc+ to sound "deeper" at a given volume than the pci. I decided the pc+ was a good trade up.

As for regular HT/music use and that wow factor the pci is more than up to the job for most any size room.

-Drew

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Drew, that's EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I'm going for the 2531PC+, might as well. Another $225 won't put me in the Dog House, I HOPE...

Dustin, those are some WILD IDEAS. I live in South Texas, & those are for Air Conditioning. Air Conditioning is as important to us as HEAT must be to Canadians! It was 92 degrees on Friday, LOL! Even I would certainly draw the line at Subwoofers blocking the Air, not to mention the Spousal Unit! Cool stuff nonetheless!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean you'd put the sub in the vents. I was just wondering if the duct work is run in an attic type crawl space. If so you could put the mouth to the manifold to the left of the air duct above your equipment and use that attic space as the box. Wouldn't affect your air conditioning at all. No visible sub in the room, almost 15L of Vd should provide enough jam to fill that room with thunderous bass, and by all accounts the sound quality of an IB is second to none (well except for dipoles, but your wife would faint if she saw the dipole you'd need for that room).

We actually really need both up hear, the extremes I've seen in my short life range from almost -80F with the wind chill to 113F. I really wished I had air at my place this last summer. Money isn't really the issue, just don't have any breaker space left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks