What's new

SVS 25-31PCi vs. Def. Tech. ProSub 100 (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, guys! I was considering purchasing the SVS 25-31PC to replace my Def. Tech. ProSub 100. I just visited the SVS site, and much to my surprise and joy, the new PCi model is $200 less than the model I intended to get. Great news, huh? Well, my question is do you all think I'll have a noticeable difference from my current sub? It makes things rattle in my room, and basically what I'm hoping for is louder bass to drown out these annoying rattles. Do you all think the SVS will be able to do that? I dunno. Maybe I'll just have to deal with it. Anyway, just let me know what you all think. Also, are the new models as good as the older models? Thanks for any input! Later!

Rob

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Two very different looking subs. The SVS is quite tall, black fabric exterior. Personally I'm not aware of any reviews for either sub that deal with such things as SPL as a function of frequency. DT, I don't believe publishes the linearity of their frequency responses. I'd take a stab, that possibly the SVS puts out greater levels, but I don't see a big difference from the information at the websites. Unless this is a burning issue with you, I'd look to find some places where these subs have been measured. BTW, you selling your old one?

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Chu,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am planning to sell my Def. Tech. when I get the SVS. Let me know if you're interested in buying it ([email protected]). Thanks again for the advice. Later!

Rob

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no, not interested myself, but the forum does have an active for sale area. my son has an svs, and yes, it sounds/feels good. it's just so damned ugly to me.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I'll take a stab at this.
I recently upgraded from the very similar Def Tech Pro Sub 200TL and will say that the the Def Tech is a great performer from about 35hz on up to the crossover point. At around 35hz it takes a nosedive, and at 20hz, it wasn't really putting out much at all. The really low bass is what makes things rattle so I would say that the SVS would definitely be rattling more things in your room. But that can be a good thing. ;)
I found the Def Tech to be a good sub, albeit a little "polite." It maxes out pretty quick as far as volume goes. But for normal listening levels in a meduim sized room, it is more than acceptable.
The SVS on the other hand is capable of some pretty fierce bass. Tonally, they are tuned a lot deeper than the Def Tech, so the SV will sound fuller and deeper for normal music and movies but not necessarily louder unless you reall crank the volume. Also, because the SVS has a relatively flat frequency response, it will not be as boomy as the Def Tech although the Def Tech really isn't a very boomy sub in my opinion.
As others will tell you, the SV really shines for home theater and especially on movies with copious amounts of deep bass. So if that's what you're looking for, I say go for it.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I agree, I had the prosub200 as well and it was an excellent performer in the 40Hz and up range but couldn't push anything below 30-35Hz at all. And this low frequency range is what the SVS was designed to do.

Users who are viewing this thread