SVS 25/31PCi vs Adire Dharman for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_Sc, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

I am in the process of upgrading my Atlantic 220's with Paradigm Monitor/Studios and I need a new sub. My room is 14x25 and I am currently using the Atlantic Tech 222 powered sub. My use will be 100% HT and the sub will go in my dedicated basement theater. My current sub just doesn't seem to have enough "umph". I want to feel the explosions and machine gun bullets.

Since I can't audition either of these I am looking for feedback from those that have heard them. Is one going to be much better than the other? With the current SVS sale the 25/31 is $100 cheaper than the Adire. Is the Dharman a $100 better than the SVS?

Thanks.
    Gary

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Retune a 25-31 to 22hz (Dharman is tuned to 22hz) and the difference definately won't be worth $100 (well at least to me it wouldn't).

3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

My guess would be the Dharman will have a little bit more umph as you describe it just because it is a front firing, front ported sub. A retuned 25-31 would be close in terms of output but my guess would be it has a bit less in the tactile bass department. 100 dollars worth? Probably not. Especially if you have wood floors.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

My normally tuned 25-31PC (original) has plenty of tactile response. And I'd expect the 25-31PCi equal or better the Dharman in output >25Hz since its tuned higher. The Dharman has dual 3" ports vs the PCi's single 4" port. That's 12.5% more port area but it's also 50% more port circumference so frictional losses may negate the advantage in port area.

So in my opinion the Dharman is likely a great sub but not worth $100 more than the SVS.

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Judging by the technical specifications only, it looks like the 22-31 and Dharman are very nearly equivalent in performance. I guess it depends on if you're willing to pay $100 more for a box shape and a wood finish.