svs 25-31pci help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill Leahy, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Would anyone think that adding this sub to an Energy 5.2 system be overkill for a room thats 18x11?

2. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

No.

One thing you'll want to do is get a Radio Shack SPL meter and a calibration disc (I rec Avia). After you get the sub just calibrate it so it is the same volume as the other speakers.

Oh, if you haven't calibrated your current speakers you'll have to do that first (w/ Avia).

3. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Thank you. I do calibrate my speakers with the radio shack analog. I was wondering though, if anyone has upgraded the 5.2 system with a better su, and what they thought.

4. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

It should sound perfectly fine...it can only sound better because you are going to be hearing the things you've been missing with the other sub. There's really no way it could sound worse.......

5. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

I'm about to make the very same upgrade myself. Anyway, I've emailed people who've had this combo and all say it works fine. I also emailed SVS and they had no reservations that the 25-31PCi would be right for my even smaller 10x15 room. Ron suggested tuning it to 22Hz instead of 25Hz.

Email SVS with your room size and they'll tell you which of their products they would recommend. Several times I've read where they suggest a cheaper alternative so they won't oversell you. Ron even said that if I go with another brand sub I could call him and he'd help with set-up and placement issues. That pretty much sealed the deal right there, any company willing to go that far deserves my business. So when the tax check comes I'll be adding an SVS to my Take 5.2 set-up.

6. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Hey, thanks for the reply Brad. I have the 8' sub from Energy, and a 10 sub from Kenwood that really old working together with my 5,2s. It actually makes me wonder if I will notice that much of a difference. Sure would love to hear from someone that has upgraded the 5,2 with a better sub to give me some more confidence in ordering one, I really do love these little babies in my room. Just not enough umph.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I used to run a Kenwood 504 HTiB with it's stock 8" sub and a WM-40. In my upgrade quest I started out with replacing the two subs mentioned with a Velodyne ct-150. It made a huge difference. A PCI would serve you much better imo than what you have. You will have the UMPH that your looking for and it will be quality umph.

8. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I have no reservation in saying that I guarantee you will notice a HUGE difference. And if you don't, I'll buy it off you! [​IMG]

The one thing you will notice is that all the "booming" of both of those subs will pretty much be gone and the SVS will seem quiet. Then when you get to some good LFE stuff you will know what that baby can do. I highly recommend trying out "The Haunting" and see if your room shakes like crazy, if it doesn't, the SVS will definitely.

9. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Now way. I have a 12.5 x 12.5 room and I have the 25-31PCi (22hz tuned) and its perfect.