What's new

SVS 25-31pc Plus. ? (1 Viewer)

mikeGF

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike G
Surprising to hear that you're bottoming out the pc+, and you have the 12.3 driver correct? I have a 25-31 pci with the new NSD driver and I've yet to hear any bottoming on ANY material, even while watching Saving Private Ryan all the way through at reference on Saturday. Everything I throw at it it takes with a smile.

I calibrated mine at 85 db using Avia with the sub about 5 db hot. Where is your gain set on the subwoofer? Mine's about 1/3 and my receiver sub level stays right around -3 -4. I cant imagine why someone would want to run the sub much hotter.

I'll hit 108 db regularly with my calibrations and have yet to hear any noticable distortion and certainly no "clacking". My room's about 3000-3500 ft3.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Mike,

My gain was set to 1/3, and I calibrated via DVE (I allowed for the 10dB error in the sub tones) to flat. My first sub was in the second batch of 12.3 drivers. I started with a 16-46 PCi, and I know without a doubt that it was being pushed waaayyyyy to hard (I was getting some serious port chuffing - a precursor to bottoming). It makes sense that your 25-31 could take that while the 16-46 could not. Given what you said, I am now starting to doubt that what I heard was indeed bottoming (I did find some compression at those volume levels, however) - this is a good thing...:) All things considered, I am glad to be running duals, though...

P.S. I was really wondering if I could have done any damage to the driver when it bottomed, but your post tells me that it is very unlikely that I did. Thank you...:)

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I find this talk about bottoming these cylinder a bit confusing. My room is only ~ 2000^3, but with a 5' opening into another 5000. I have my 20-39+ calibrated about 3 dbs (really 5-6) hot at 75dbs @ -10. Seldom do I get listen that high, but if I do, I get peaks of 112 with no apparent strain. Normal "loud" playback will average around 105dbs. I'm about 11' from the sub (it's corner loaded) 1/3 gain, receiver trim -4.

I wouldn't think the 25-31+ would get stressed in a 3000^3 room.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Some people hit 108dbs with their cylinder, and enjoy..
others hit 104db's, and begin hearing distortion of even sounds of bottoming.?
Now would room acoustics make that much difference as the SPL meter may indicate a higher reading in a tighter room, or a room with a lot of reflection, low ceiling.? basically helping the sub achieve higher SPL, without pushing it so hard.? Or is this only from sound output directly from speakers.?
excuse my ignorance...I am setting up my new HT, and before last week I never heard of a SPL meter.
But I don't Like DVD's with the sides chopped off.
And I do enjoy 720p programming...and get excited over blureay coming to a store near me next month....so not completely disconnected..

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
I have regularly seen close to 110dB uncorrected @ 9ft in 2000 ft^3 (open to a similar volume below the open stairwell) from my 16-46PCi. Dragon's wings in LOTR is a memorable example. Hellboy another. :)

The cylinder is about 9' from the nearest corner in my 30 feet room.

I have never heard any unusual sounds like chuffing or bottoming out in over two years of daily use.

It seems unburstable to any level I can comfortably tolerate when set 3dB hot.

I do have an awful lot of VLF room gain though. A serious house curve to +20dB @ 15Hz if the corrected meter readings can be trusted.

Which may be the simple answer to low peak SPLs from any sub.

If you have no room gain you have no headroom.

Don't blame your sub. It's always the room.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

I also have a 16-46pci and have never heard any unusual sounds/noises coming from it when listening to some of the most demanding soundtracks, The Haunting, War of The Worlds etc.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm thinking its setup and placement because it takes something to bottomout and SVS. I havent done it and it sounds like most others havent either. Mine is setup pretty basic,in a corner around 88db as my speakers are set at 78. Other then that i just let it rip.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Am I correct that you used DVE for calibration? DVE's sub tones are 10 dB too hot (a problem Joe Kane has yet to fess up to), so your settings would be appropriate for that disc. Avia's tones are corrected, and I don't know of any AVR tones that have this problem, either. So, if you used anything other than DVE (AFAIK), you are running your sub 10dB hot (not good)...

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I do hope you get your SVS sorted in its new space. You mentioned feeling but not hearing. At various times I can Feel, Hear (in a non-localized manner) and SEE my SVS working. Just doing its job I have had light items on the floor near to the Sub wave in the breeze during air displacement. Port chuff I’ve only heard once or twice when the boys cranked my calibration on the sub without telling. Early on for the novel aspect, I had it running a little hot, and the guys were revisiting all the heavy populated LFE discs they could find. A flat piece of writing paper in proximity took off across the floor. They all screamed like little girls. :D At moments I have wondered if the SVS had come with secret-round-the-room installations of Shakers and Tactile Transducers.

Mine is corner loaded behind my display, you mentioned taming rattles,...when I acquired the SVS the only method I found to keep the display cabinet from buzzing and resonating with the sub, was to add some thin strips of dynamat to back of display cabinet. I asked around and could find no opinions on trying this as regards effects on both the display and room response. I never charted frequencies after adding this absorptive material, it removed all rattles and by ear, seemed to only affect very high frequencies very slightly. But seems to have done the job of keeping my display from shaking apart slowly.

But I don't Like DVD's with the sides chopped off. I would suggest some stealth fighter radar damping technology to drape yourself under while tiptoeing around the corner..........then run like hell.

...Tongue in cheekiness ...firm believer in personal pref.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

I used my SPL meter for setup. I did use my AVIA to get the right x over. 60 instead of 80.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
If you used the pink niose tones on Avia to calibrate SPLs to 78dB (speakers) and 88dB (sub), your sub is running 10dB hot. These relative levels are valid only for DVE, because of the messed-up sub tone. Actually, the deal is that Dolby specs already boost the LFE by 10dB, and DVE does not allow for this (but Avia does). I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but a sub running at reference could be asked to churn out (about) 120 dB. Now, if it is already running 10dB hot (ouch!)....

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
You might want to back down considerably. The Denon test tones are correct, and there is not the 10dB disperity (I use the Denon auto-cal to get me in the right neighborhood, then use DVE to fine tune. The Denon 's tone are all the same SPL, while DVE gives a 10dB boost in the LFE). Keep in mind that the Rat Shack meter is about 2dB low for the Denon's tones, meaning that an SPL reading of 78dB is really about 80-81dB.

Edit:

You see, this is what I get for not reading the entire thread. Your 10dB hot is intentional.....sorry.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
I am almost finished setting up.
Just wondered, how I can post pictures of what I set up. ?
Or a link?
as Derek did.
seats in, screen in ,wires ,etc. can't wait to try the sub, dinner and email break.
Also want to run sub a few db''s hot...gotta really feel the movie, ya know..

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator

The easiest way is to upload pictures from your hard drive into a free image hosting service like Image Shack. (Or any of the many other hosting services)

You open the hosting service in your brower then BROWSE your images on your computer.

Now SELECT the image you want to upload.

After a pause you can HOST IT.

After another pause you will be offered a list of different URLs for your hosted image.

I use the bottom URL in Image Shack called DIRECT LINK.

COPY it and then PASTE the DIRECT LINK URL into the reply box on the forum.

If you PREVIEW your forum post before submiiting your reply you should see your image or an underlined link.

Previewing your post is a good idea to ensure you don't post the wrong image.

One advantage of a hosting sevice is that your personal information attached to each image name is stripped from the URL. You can retain your anonymity when you prefer a user name for a forum and don't want to share your own idenity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks